MSFS2024 Engine VS MSFS2020 Engine

That and the E rating.

Speaking as someone who has survived a major car crash and woken up a few days later, I’d say the current crash handling is realistic.

5 Likes

Never happen. No commercial airline wants to see images of thier planes cartwheeling in a ball of flames. This is even more true with the level of realism being achieved.

You see this a lot with racing games where some manufacturers will only agree to using their cars if no crash damage is shown in the game.

3 Likes

From just this initial trailer that only focuses on missions, I noticed these changes in the core engine:

• seasons
  • 3D trees
  • moving grass and foliage based on local/nearby airflow
  • fires and other effects on scenery? (how the smoke from the fire rises and expands into the atmostphere, also more particle effects i.e. water, fire, crop dusting, etc)
  • higher DEM and scenery resolution (i.e. Mt Kilimanjaro)
  • tornadoes hinting at improved weather simulation overall (when Asobo spoke in earlier Q&As about doing revamped amazing weather they spoke about such phenomenon like twisters)

I have a hunch that some of the other areas in the sim which MS/Asobo have said (in the previous Q&As) are underdoing a larger re-work effort will likely only show up in the 2024 version (i.e. ground handling, seasons, weather, ATC, AI, etc)

6 Likes

That might be tough if they are looking to have good market compatibility.

I’ll be getting it either way. Activities and missions would be welcome. Hopefully there will be a better system/menu than what is done. For instance, bushtrips are so poorly done now.

Looks like new Weather engine that can generate tornados and hurricanes?

3 Likes

I really hope MSFT and Asobo are planning on keeping both sims alive and getting updates in parallel. It seems to be that FS2024 is more of a scripted mission-based sim built on top of the FS2020 foundation. I only see seasonal terrain variations, more tree variety and that’s pretty much it. Shots of airports and very detailed terrain can already be achieved via add-ons in FS2020 which leads me to think that during those missions the extreme eye candy will be isolated to the areas you’re supposed to be flying in, i.e. the middle of Russia will still look like balls just as in FS2020. I would hope that for those of us who are not interested in the missions, FS2020 will get at least some of the improvements going to FS2024.

I don’t know if that will be true. From the trailer the tornadoes and fires seem to be scripted and bound to the new missions. I’d be happy to be proven wrong because that would mean a massive jump in live weather tech from what we have now, but I really, really doubt you’ll see tornadoes or even supercells forming in front of your eyes.

Hurricanes in a way are already modeled in FS2020, poorly but they are there. The fact that hurricanes don’t seem so realistic is more a limitation of live weather getting and conveying the right data than what the sim engine is capable of.

2 Likes

Nope, confirmed in the video linked above that the Tornado is simulated.

Oh, I don’t doubt it’s simulated. I’m sure if you fly right through it the plane will be torn apart and thrown around (or just get the black crash screen) and I’m sure there will be rain and even probably hail and strong winds. What I doubt still is that doing a normal flight with live weather you will get them to spawn as in real life.

Live weather is difficult, since the data (from meteoblue) is fed into the system and it simulates the weather based on that data. It doesn’t aim to be a snapshot of the weather outside your window. Then, they also use METAR data as you enter airports with said data on top.

I cannot say if it can take that live weather data and assume a tornado will form, unless there will be a separate data stream for known extreme events reported and forming in a general area. Yet again, I do not know how the systems for the weather work beyond what Asobo has told us, I am merely speculating.

2 Likes

We all are and like I said, I hope they figured a way to simulate tornadoes and other weather phenomena with live weather and not only as part of a “scientific mission”. That would be a very strong reason to ditch FS2020 and anxiously wait for this new sim.

But the trailer is strange in the sense that only missions were mentioned. For those old enough, I feel like this is the “Crimson Skies” or “Combat Flight Simulator” to the regular MSFS 2000. They lived as separate products for different audiences.

So either we will get more and more trailers showcasing other new improvements to the flight dynamics, physics, weather system, graphics, etc. or we will get more trailers simply showcasing more missions. Then we will know what this is supposed to be.

It will most definitely be a drop down box option from the weather presets and maybe you can even decide where to the hot and cold fronts collide. I sincerely doubt it is just limited to one mission on their rosta of career-based missions, that would be a total waste of resources writing the code to simulate it.

1 Like

I was literally writing this – I’ve never seen a horizontal line in this sim in my life. Or if I have, I don’t even notice it.

3 Likes

Why does it have to be LIVE weather. They could have a dynamic weather system with changeable weather. You know, fly and weather actually changes over time and location and is NOT a direct copy of whats happening in the real world at that time (or in the case of METAR, maybe 30 minutes earlier). Not mission based, just dynamic.

3 Likes

Do you ever fly around mountains?

1 Like

Sorry that you’ve been through that. But that comment made me laugh :joy:

3 Likes

I just help but stare at the horizontal lines on all the mountains :rofl:

1 Like

That would be a good idea too.

I will always prefer to mimic what I see outside as closely as possible, but a random dynamic weather system would be nice.

1 Like

I just pretend it’s some kind of synthetic, augmented reality vision thing.

It would be amazing if they could form mesocyclones using echo tops, reflectivity, and velocity radar. Then tornadogenesis could randomly happen anywhere in the hook or if a strong couplet is detected. I’m a newbie at spotting storms (watching chasers like Reed Timmer in action while monitoring RadarScope). But it definitely seems plausible.

Not going to happen. And it is an „intellectual property“ thing.

You see, MS is licensing their aircraft from actual aircraft companies. And those companies do not want to see a million Youtubers generating „spectacular crash videos you have never seen before (OMG CLICK HERE!)“ with their beloved aircraft design and livery :wink: