MSFS2024 November 19th, 2024

MSFS2024 will be streamed heavy to the user PC/Xbox and use less CPU and GPU resources. The data center will do the graphics and etc for you. Smaller client application to download and play.

I’m not sure what you mean by that. It’s not the same as connecting with a tablet, and having the remote server send you the graphics, like some RDP/VNC/X2Go session.

The console still needs to process, and generate the visuals for you, the cloud supplies the data to display just as it does now. The difference is the local install footprint is going to be smaller.

Of course, everything is purely speculative but I trust that the new SIM graphics engine consumes less memory.

I think much of that was/is banking on the 500MB system memory being freed up by the newer xbox GDK which was due to be released in SU15 but got pulled due to it causing stutters.

Xbox Cloud Gaming includes MSFS. Asobo may use Xbox Cloud Gaming tech in MSFS to decrease resources requirements on the user.

How would they use it, exactly?

They use the could fairies to deliver the pixels to your computer.

2 Likes

It bodes well for MSFS where the largest complaint of a flight sim is the scoring.

Stop and think about cloud gaming, and flying MSFS from your IPhone. The IPhone is not doing all that you are talking about. It is executed at the server level and streamed to the device. The XBox may now be a hybrid of that, where some work is done on the client, and some work done at server level. We don’t know. We will have to see. But it is entirely possible now that the cloud streaming architecture has been developed, something that wasn’t available originally when XBox launched, that now XBox may not have to do all the work that it did in 2020.

Sorry, but a hybrid solution would be incredibly difficult, when not even impossible du to data coherence between server and client.

1 Like

They’ve talked enough about the architectural changes for us to know that they are streaming assets not pixels.

2 Likes

I know that, and I’m not saying it is. I am hinting they maybe the person I was replying to thinks it is. In its purest sense, cloud gaming is like an RDP/VNC/X2Go connection, with the sim running on remote hardware, and the client giving you a view of what is being generated at the other end. That tech can’t do anything in 2024 that it cannot do in 2020.

The big ticket item in 2024 is the streaming of assets, which is not cloud gaming. There is little benefit for XBox users to make use of cloud gaming as it was recently re-iterated that XCloud boxes are glorified XBox consoles in server form. So probably like blades in a Dell server, with no fancy box or DVD drive connected, and just racked up in servers. Why play a game remotely from an XBox when you are on XBox. :slight_smile:

That’s really for low end PC’s and mobile devices.

2 Likes

Meh. IMO I was disappointed with Kerbal. It’s a poor graphic Nintendo like baby game. I’m hoping for actual simulation, but not study level, of the shuttle, Apollo 5, lunar lander etc. with cape canaveral scenery.

Doubt it’ll happen tho. & yes, I know there’s an add on for Kennedy space center but it’s freeware so as usual Xbox can’t use it.

What i really care about are the QOL fixes. The small things like working wipers better ground affect. DX12 being standard and actually stable ect. You know, stuff actually being fixed.

1 Like

This is the biggest issue. The current xbox consiles were NOT built to spec for msfs. Memory is the main reason why. Its heen prevalent since the release of msfs whenever xbox has an issue with crashing every single time its been down to memory.

2 Likes

I did say “hybrid”. I wasn’t talking completely about everything being streamed. But the problem XBox has is all the things that have to be done in memory currently. What if say, instead of sending the sim object and all the different size textures, you sent the sim object with the texture already applied. That saves work and memory in the XBox. I don’t know any of the details. But everyone is assuming things have to be done exactly as they are now, and we know that XBox’s biggest weakness is memory. If cutting of memory is a key goal, it is entirely possible that maybe you take a compromise approach where XBox does what it needs to do, but gets some preprocessed assets instead of raw assets from the server.

Again, I am just thinking outside the box of what is currently done today, but thinking of ways how you might try to reduce the memory footprint needed.

1 Like

Agree. It was a technological breakthrough at the time to get FS on to console, I seem to remember that some of the brightest tech experts in M/S were involved in optimising memory usage to do so. But what has the cost been to end users shoehorning it onto consoles? You are corerct it is 100% a QOL issue. If there had been a 32GB version available I may never have left XBox, but they may not have got so many XBox users to sign up if it was only going to run properly on a series eXcess™ :wink:

Yes technically that could be done, but I’m sure they’d have mentioned it at least in passing if that was so. What they have mentioned doesn’t support such a change being included. It would also likely be a huge amount of work.

1 Like

Wow. Talk about a bad hot take.

4 Likes

Literally have an option for a 32gb console… and if theyre feeling frisky do a 64gb for ***** and giggles lol. Some would say it isnt needed but hey it would give a TON of headroom to be able to basically have every setting the xbox can change to its max so they can get the best experience possible.

2 Likes