MSFS2024 November 19th, 2024

It would have to be 32GB at least across the board. If they had a 16GB option the sim would have to work on that, and we are back to square one.

1 Like

Sorry again, but we are talking about main memory (aka RAM) which is the issue on Xbox. Every streamed item needs to be stored in RAM aswell, so that the CPU and GPU can work on it → you see, there is no benefit in that regard.

And as others already said, cloud gaming currently is in fact just streaming a video of the game to you - the whole computational effort is handled by the servers, the client only retrieves the input from the gamepad, packs that information and sends it over to the sever, the server just returns a video computed from you sent inputs. This is very light weight on the RAM.

A hybrid solution* is very very difficult because the server and the client need to have the same state of data structures, so that the part computed on the server and the part computed on the client is in sync. Technically this is possible (used on super computers connecting different compute nodes), but it means that huge junks of data need to be exchanged between server and client (think as if it were compute nodes in a super computer), which could be an issue in downstream on even mid range internet connections, and for sure will be an issue in upstream, also on highest end fiber connections. We are talking from gigabits per second (compare with the memory bandwith between CPU and GPU, this is what you also need between server and client on a hybrid solution) → today not really doable unfortunatly.

*hybrid solution: parts of the sim are calculated on the server and parts are calculated on the client device (PC, Console) - I think that is what you meant.

2 Likes

Yes. Every object needs to be stored in memory. But every operation you do to anything also needs memory while it is being processed. So for example, SimObject A has Textures B, and you need to apply those to get SimObject AB which is an internally created object in memory. All I was saying was, if AB is the ultimatel goal, you could server side process SimObject A and Texture B, and send preprocessed simobject AB. I wasn’t saying streamed objects dont have to be stored. I was just stating that some preprocessing can happen front end, reducing the number of objects that actually have to be stored.

But we are going off topic here. People were saying there was nothing that could be done for XBox, that 2024 is going to have the same issues, and I was just presenting one theoretical thing that could be done. What ultimately is being done, who knows. But taking a defeatist attitude ahead of time before we even have been presented anything isn’t helpful.

1 Like

But computer grafics don’t work that way 

If you have a SimObject A ( I assume you meant actually a polygon model) and a Texture for that model (Texture B, which in modern titles is in fact a collection of different textures), you can’t simply texture that object prior on the server and send over the result, this has to be done by the graphics card, du to numerous reasons getting to far explaining here.

Fine. But it is NOT pre-ordained that XBox is going to run out of memory and crash even with this new version. I am sure with 2 years of development already that they have come up with something that will conserve memory on XBox.

1 Like

know what I think? All this speculation of the architecture and content is pointless. Can we discuss what was actually released? Like maybe the Spirit airlines airbus in the background, or the British Airways banner? or Is that really Aerosofts Twotter. I’ll have to look for it, but I swear I saw the Twotter in a screenshot of some new Aerosoft Scenery just in the past two months. I gotta find it now.

1 Like

Yes and no. They didn’t happen that often when it was just default scenery. Once the marketplace opened up, 3rd party airports and scenery (and planes) caused a huge spike in black screens and CTDs.

The base sim ran really well from what I can remember.

1 Like

Yes, I am not saing that Xbox can’t handle MSFS 2024. Asobo does now have alot of experience developing MSFS for Xbox so that I am very confident, they are able to stuff this beautiful sim into the little Box.

I was just pointing out, that workload division between server and client (xbox or PC, does not matter) is not possible. And I am sure not necessary for that matter 

Thats fair yeah 32gb bare minimum. Also this wouldnt only benefit FS either. Extra memeory also means a lot of games on Xbox locked to 30 fps could theoretically be “unlocked” and because of the extra memory they couod likley get higher, smoother frames.

Yep, but looks like they used the otter as a static aircraft

I don’t know if somebody already did do so but I sat down and noted every aircraft we (probably) know will be featured in MSFS2024. Also I added their official developer or the one I guess - here we go:

Former MSFS2020 aircraft
  • Airbus A320 Neo (guess v2 will be the default, so from ini)
  • Airbus A310-300
  • Aviat Pitts S1S
  • Aviat Pitts Special S2S
  • Beechcraft G58 Baron
  • Beechcraft (Textron) King Air 350i
  • Beechcraft G36 Bonanza
  • Bell 407
  • Boeing 747-8i
  • Boeing 787-10
  • Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet
  • Cessna 172 (and variants)
  • Cessna 150/152
  • Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX
  • Cessna Citation Longitude
  • Cessna Citation CJ4
  • Cirrus SR22
  • Daher TBM 930
  • De Havilland DHC-2 Beaver (and variants)
  • DG Aviation DG-1001E Neo
  • DG Aviation LS8-18
  • Diamond DV20
  • Diamond DA40TDI/NG
  • Diamond DA62
  • Extra 330LT
  • Flight Design CTSL
  • Grumman G-21A Goose
  • Robin CAP 10
  • Robin DR400
  • Savage Cub
  • CubCrafters XCub (and variants)
  • Zlin Savage Cub
  • Pilatus PC-6
  • Pipistrel Virus
  • Icon A5
  • JBM VL-3
  • Hughes H4 Hercules
  • Spirit of St. Louis
  • Curtiss Jenny
  • Guimbal Cabri G2
  • Volocopter
  • Wright Flyer
Confirmed aircraft
  • Canadair CL415 (Asobo)
  • Airbus Helicopters H.125 (Asobo)
  • Airbus A330-300 [may come with two engine variants] (confirmed by tablet → iniBuilds)
  • Airbus Beluga XL [different engine variant than A330-300 in trailer] (iniBuilds)
  • Airbus A400M (iniBuilds)
  • C188 AG Truck (Carenado)
  • Erickson S-64 Skycrane (Blackbird Simulations)
  • Cirrus SF50 Vision Jet (FFX)
  • Jetson ONE (FFX)
  • Fairchild A-10C (DC Designs)
Aircraft with currently unknown developers (guesses by myself)
  • SkyShip 600 (Asobo to test new flight model?)
  • Hot Air Balloon (GotFriends or Asobo to test new flight model?))
  • Zivko Edge 540 (GotFriends?)
  • MX Aircraft MXS-R (GotFriends as it really fit’s their aircraft focus?)
  • Pilatus PC-12 (Carenado?)
  • Robin R66 (Nemeth or Asobo?)
  • Air Tractor AT-802 (Carenado?)
  • Joby Aviation S4 eVTOL (Asobo to test new flight model?)
  • De Havilland DHC-6 Amphibian (most likely Aerosoft as it disappeared till this point)
  • AutoGyro Calidus (Asobo to test new flight model?)
  • Edgley Optica EA-7 (GotFriends? Looks like their model/textures)
Traffic aircraft

All AI traffic aircraft (maybe Asobo as in 2021 Jörg Neumann discussed that they have ~80 models ready for traffic but lack license agreements for liveries) which can be spotted in the trailer:

• Boeing 777-200LR, United
  • Boeing 777-300ER, United
  • Airbus A319-100, United
  • Airbus A320-200, United
  • Airbus A320 Neo (maybe), Spirit Airlines
  • Airbus A330F or Airbus A300F, UPS (maybe)
  • Cirrus Jet SF50
  • Cessna 150
  • Cessna 172
  • Beechcraft G58 Baron

This sums up to 62 flyable aircraft by now plus variants.

1 Like

Looking at that great list, one thing I thought of is I hope that all of these aircraft are put into a free marketplace or some other mechanism as opposed to the core sim.

1. Unless they improved the individual aircraft update process it really makes sense to uncouple aircraft updates from core sim updates. We shouldn’t have to wait 1-2 months for simple changes to our aircraft. Hopefully opens it up for community mods through the marketplace too
  2. it’ll will allow us not to install those we don’t want unless they add parameters to do so for console and PC
1 Like

What about the 777 that was shown in the last trailer with the United liveries?

As MS aims to provide a thin client I think most parts of the sim will be optional/on demand.

*The 777s (there is a 777-200 and a 777-300ER visible).

I think these are (ai) traffic models likely created by Asobo (the quality level seems on par with the ai A320 Neo from what I can tell) which were intended to release for MSFS2020 at some point which was skipped due to lack of license agreements with airlines.

United was at launch the only airline with such agreement which is why there was one united livery available on the Frankenstein airliner :wink:

2 Likes

Then play Orbiter. Atlantis and the ISS are stock spacecraft in it and the default game has a shuttle EDL scenario. You can even download and fly a Saturn 5 that includes emulations of the real Apollo computers.

1 Like

I know there are a significant number of forum participants who are airliner-centric, however there are a few of us that really do prefer GA.

One of my big hopes for 2024 is an improvement to the auto-gen airports I typically fly in/out of. I’ve written up a significant number of bug reports for flattened and/or missing structures at these auto-gen airports.

While a number of them have been fixed, there are still ones that have not and, of course, I know there will be more to discover; as this seems to be a failing of the AI that generates them.

It’s the “small” details like this one that I hope to see addressed with the new iteration of the sim. The eye candy is certainly razzle dazzle, but it’s the day-to-day core functions and QoL issues that will really be what are appreciated in the long term.

12 Likes

Some GA traffic and VFR appropriate ATC at those airports would be welcome too.

Cool thanks. Is that PC only or can I play that on a Mac or online?

OMG I don’t remember seeing this and here I go watching this video for the 7363626th time hahahah

I reply instead on the weather
 here asobo if it doesn’t fix things who knows when we will see good weather
 just today I came across a YouTube video of the unreal engine 5.4
 look for unreal engine volumetric clouds
 they look fantastic 
 we will definitely see something at the expo