Multiple screens functionality

Link if u missed it.

49:20 they say something about multiple screen functionality… :- :pensive:

4 Likes

At least start with being able to have the scenery only on one monitor and cockpit (2d panel would be preferable) on a 2nd monitor. That certainly shouldn’t kill FPS. Many of us do not have a 3 or 3+ monitor setup. How they released this limited to one monitor only is hard to understand, given that they had to be aware of the past MS Flight sims having this feature (and present competition).

1 Like

Multiple screen support is in development now and release planned for 2022. Thanks for votes everyone.

10 Likes

That’s great. But I’ll believe it when I see more details… like a specific quarter, a release version, or deity forbid even a preview video :D. Nonetheless, good job everyone, for persisting.

1 Like

Many users report a massive FPS drop with pop out windows. They have tried every option - it seems like release 5 caused the massive drop.

Microsoft’s obsession with the XBox and VR doesn’t help either.

2 Likes

Please tell me where can I find this information?

Go HERE
Select the latest Dev update and scroll down, you’ll find the latest table there… :+1:

Asobo, what about a little multiple screen beta functionality for christmas :smiley:

Asobo is at christmas vacation

You got it, right before xmas 2022. ;p

I think, for every FS2020 user it´s self-evident that multiple screens will come. I wish it will come in November 2021 ( :joy: :). Go on.

Unfortunately, I don’t think its an Asobo priority. They still will not commit to a timeline. First it was two years, now one year. I am not holding my breath.
Still using x-plane. Maybe upgrade to v12

If your using 11, then the upgrade to 12 will be free…oh I cant wait to get rid of the net lag and have some consistency ;p

Well as a workaround for now … If you have an Integrated Graphics on your CPU and you have a Motherboard that exposes those ports … Well you can use those to run the screens on to get the FPS back…

2 Likes

If the FPS hit is down to the popped-out windows being rendered by the same GPU as the main window and hence blocking the GPU thread, that’s a possible fix; but you could presumably get the same benefit from having a 2nd GPU in your machine and moving the screens you pop out panels onto to that GPU, and get the benefit of faster performance overall - integrated graphics is not known for being particularly speedy, not least because it shares main RAM which is nowhere near as fast as VRAM, and there’s nothing special about an iGPU in terms of DirectX.

Yes it has been confirmed by others that a second GPU will also work … Since we had a onboard in this Sim rig with the 9700K cpu having onboard and the 390Prime has the HDMI and Display port outputs I chose to use them to test it… and it worked…

In previous sims like P3D when you would pop out gauges and place them on a second GPU or an internal GPU you would have the issue of flickering … So for many of us we always kept from placing anything on the NON main GPU…

Second… well with this CPU and MoBo combo (like many similar in the 4-12 series of i7) you only have so many PCIe lanes… and if you populate another one of the slots you go to x8 lanes instead of x16… so I did not want to risk lowering my main GPU…

Either way you look at it… The issue is still that the MSFS engine will cut the FPS in half basically the moment you run another Window on the Same GPU… as per the video you see that we regained all of our lost FPS… Since the POP out is an instrument panel it’s not really need ing to do much with that internal GPU… When I look at upgrading the Sim I will definitely consider a threadripper like I have in my desktop system so that I can have all the PCIe lanes and can throw in maybe 2x 3090s…

I thought I would pass on how I use my 3 monitors. I do this because it helps me avoid the worst of the distortion and if you have TrackIR you might find it useful. It is a bit “Micky Mouse” and maybe someone else has found an easier way of doing the same thing but this is my way. I am just trying to be helpful and I know it doesn’t solve the problem but I thought it just might help someone else. So please don’t “shoot me down”.
Basically I use TrackIR to reduce the FOV of the 3 monitors in a similar way to using the mouse wheel but with the advantage that the reduced FOV becomes the cockpit “standard” view so you don’t have to keep using the mouse wheel to restore you to the reduced FOV.
I set up as the 3 monitors as one normal “stretched” window (I don’t use nVidia surround as it has given me too many problems in the past).
I set up a TrackIR Profile that gives me 180 degree sweep of view in the cockpit (i.e. I can look left or right and see backwards). The profile also allows a lot of upwards and downwards vision.
I start the flight and get the plane flying level and straight. I then remove the TrackIR TrackClip from my head and put it behind my head as far as I can (my seat limits this) and holding it level and straight I press F12 (centre TrackIR). I then return the TrackClip to it’s normal position on my head and with luck I have a much reduced FOV and the distortion on the 2 side screens is not as distracting. I can look left or right and get about 90 degrees each way and I can look down and see the instruments.
I only fly low and slow and I find this helps a lot when I want to use 3 monitors in cockpit view.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Gonna try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually I find that once you have the FOV reduced(repositioned) you can then play with the TrackIR profile until you get something that personally suits you and the planes you fly. I searched for other ways of reducing the FOV and setting it as your default FOV but couldn’t find any so that’s why I came up with putting the trackclip behind my head and resetting TrackIR with the F12.

I wrote about this a month or so ago. Basically, if you find the current state of DX12 satisfactory for your needs (some folks do, some do not) - just switch to DX12 mode and then pop out as many gauges and stuff as you like… Without the need for any type of secondary GPU/iGPU…without any FPS loss.

The primary cause of the FPS drop is that under DX11 we are limited by a single rendering thread being dedicated to its active rendered frustum.
Long story short - the moment we put even the smallest part of the sim on another display, it will automatically half the framerate.

There are ways to mitigate this under DX11 - such as the use of additional GPU’s like the integrated GPU as you write about here, or the additional system through the extension cards and various sorts of interconnect popular within the flightsim design and manufacture industry - yet as you can see it is all rather complicated.

DirectX 12 solves that in an elegant way, also being one of the first steps towards the integration of true multiple display support.

1 Like