My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

Thank you very much for settings - work very well didnt try 4k yet just LG 32" gaming monitor so on 4k will prob be amazing - your the best

1 Like

I thank you for your kind words and I’m glad this is helping.

Please note these are tailored for 4K with the 2070S.

This is the whole point of Nvidia CPL Sharpening + 70% render scaling + other settings to try managing the number of GFX resources in the video card and render frame budget, with an emphasis on what is most important for the pilot: the instruments and the view at a distance.

When running in 1K I wouldn’t set render scaling below 100% for example and I could certainly raise some other settings instead.

1 Like

@CptLucky8 Thank you for this post. While I’m not using 4K these settings minus the Sharpening and reduced Render scaling are working well at 2056/1600.
Previous to using these I was at High settings defaulted but started seeing stutters on fast movements after recent updates.
As soon as I saved these setting I could hear the GPU ramping up.
Happy Flying!
P.S. System: i7-10700K / 32GB RAM / NVIDIA Titan X (2015).

1 Like

Thank you for your kind word and feedback! I’m glad this is helping you.

Since my initial post, I’ve further made a few comparisons about the NVidia CPL settings and found some interesting bits which are further confirming my choice of video card settings so far. More on this later!

This is a good guide. I found your suggestions well thought out and align quite well with my experience (3700x + 2060S).

One thing I want to mention is that after patch 2, I need to tweak my settings again because of the changes to visual & performance. I even increased LOD above 200% in the UserCfg.opt.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words!

There is definitely a reduction in LOD since v1.8.3 and there is no issue raising it to 200% now but if this is bug in the update, this is something to think about reducing back with the next update maybe!

RTX 2080S + I7 10875H + 32 GB + 1080p resolution (laptop)

• I kept in-game settings Ultra.
  • Not doing the power profile trick because im on laptop and not sure if its safe.
  • Only done Nvidia CP tricks.

A320 @FL340 above dense city fps increased from 50-55 to 60-65 this is the first time im pushing above 60 fps
A320 dense city ground fps increased from steady 35 to 40-45
A320 cockpit is showing steady 45 fps on cruise and steady 40 @dense city airport.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your specs and benchmark figures, this might help others finding what options are best for their systems too!

I hope so too. My only concern is what fps are we going to get once study level PMDG NG3 arrives. PMDG president said its not going to have an impact on performance but its still hard to believe :confused:

[Update 23SEP2020]

I’ve updated the FS2020 settings screenshot for v1.8.3.

Graphics Settings

There are 2 fps boost opportunities I’ve found out:

1. V-Sync Off:

This really boost fps (~ +5% to 15% fps gain). This could be related to the specific way I’m configuring the NVidia settings. Because I’m also using 70% Super Sampling and the renderer is presenting a frame in sync, you shouldn’t notice any tearing either.

1. Anisotropic and Texture SS:

Use Anisotropic 8x and Texture SS 4x4 (~ +2% fps gain). It is nearly as good as 16x for texture, slightly better for markings and worth the extra fps.

If you can bear a little less detailed slanted textures far away, you can use Aniso 4x and Texture SS 4x4 for a more significant boost (~ +5% fps gain).

NB: I was recommending Anisotropic Filtering 16x and Texture Super Sampling 0.

NVidia Settings

I’ve been testing other NVidia settings like Triple Buffering, Threaded optimization and a few others but I always get best results and less stutters with the settings I’ve originally published above.

However FS2020 v1.8.3 is using a more aggressive back buffer sharpen post-processing effect (enabled by default). Therefore, I’d recommend changing NVidia CPL:

Image Sharpening 0.33 / film grain 0.17

[Update 12OCT2020]

I’ve now further got the chance to update Win10 and Nvidia drive(with or without GPU Scheduling) and my suggested settings are still holding the best performance and the smoothest FS2020 experience on the hardware I’m running it on. Therefore, these settings are still my best recommendation with:

• Win10 2004
  • FS2020 1.9.3
  • Nvidia 456.55
7 Likes

You might want to reconsider running Fast Sync on MSFS, it’s designed for framerates 3x/higher of your monitor refresh rate,

Thank you for the hint. What would you suggest instead?

NVidia inline documentation explains FAST is like VSync off when the application renders less than monitor refresh rate and is VSync on when the applicatoin renders more than monitor refresh rate. In 4K with the 2070S and the settings above FS2020 renders near 60 fps (most 4K monitors refresh rate) at best.

With these settings I’m trying to ensure you’ll get the lowest latency and the higher fps. As for tearing, I can’t find any when using TAA 70% and I suspect this is due to how FS2020 is sync-presenting the frame when copying from the render buffer into the back buffer.

1 Like

I think you’re getting confused with adaptive sync,

Adaptive sync is vsync off until your framerate hits your refresh rate, once your framerate is at your refresh rate, vsync turns on.

Fast Sync is a feature designed to stop tearing but without the input lag hit of VSync. I think Nvidia stated that it only works at 3x your monitor refresh rate or above (if your monitor is 60hz, Nvidia’s reccomendation would be 180fps). This is essentially useless for MSFS and can cause stutter, as even the best hardware cannot maintain 180FPS here. Mainly intended for esports titles such as CSGO.

The best sync implementation would be freesync/gsync, as it is still active at lower framerates, but this requires a monitor supporting it.

I don’t know whether I’m understanding it correctly, but I know we do share the same explanation for FAST sync at least.

Any other combination of NVidia CPL settings and simulator setting pertaining to VSync have shown lower fps and more stutters so far. In practice, when using simulator VSync OFF and NVidia CPL FAST sync, the fps with the aforementioned system go from ~45 with some stutter to ~55 with almost no stutters. Others are reporting the same like here: Avucheepan post

The only noticeable ‘stutter-like’ effect is when looking down above the aircraft flying where you can see some fluctuation in the underlying ground passing by underneath. But this is imperceptible though when looking to the ground at an angle, like when viewing through the cockpit windows, because of the lower angular speed (which is also one reason it is ok running a simulator at 30 fps when looking straight forward whereas it requires at least 60 fps when looking sideways.

NB: this is with the latest NVidia driver version prior Win10 2004 (446.14). It might be different with the latest but I’m not installing this version yet.

hasnt nvidia newer drivers yet? i have 465.38

CptLucky8, I have a 2070S now, and your suggestions have helped. Thank you very much,
Mark

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, I’m glad this is helping!

Same here I am getting between 40-50 FPS. Thank you so much!

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback too!

Great guide! Also thanks for your mod that corrected building heights.

Apologies if this has been answered, but what would your settings be for 1440p with a 2070s? Or the same with a higher rendering scale?

Thanks

1 Like