My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Hey guys, maybe this has been posted here already, but it looks like Nvidia found the bug that caused low fps and stuttering with some drivers. They’re going to release a hotfix this week. Check it out:

Maybe we don’t have to use the .3 driver anymore after this.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed

@RomanDesign, well then maybe it’s a good thing that unless we’re willing to pay scalper prices (and I’m not, even though hypothetically I could if I decided I wanted to), we’re probably not going to find any in inventory anywhere until hopefully after Nvidia has had a chance to do whatever optimizations in drivers, etc. are done!

@rhubarbapapa, what I did was to go to the very first post and basically monkey see monkey dood (is that a word?) with @CptLucky8’s instructions, right down to the driver level he recommended, and the Nvidia Control Panel choices. I have made some minor changes to the in-sim settings, and I went with the 100 OXR, 70 TAA option, and I’m getting 30fps +/- 1 in essentially all situations EXCEPT super dense scenery. Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris was particularly bad, with me seeing single digit framerates, but it’s huge, absolutely gorgeous, handcrafted, and I literally had to taxi like 5 miles to get to my assigned runway. If you chose a parking spot near a runway and went without ATC, or just spawned ON a runway there, it wouldn’t be so bad.

But please don’t spawn on a runway if you’ve got multiplayer turned on, you never know when someone might be on very short final when you do that. That by itself is one of the reasons I rarely run with multiplayer on at all, because I got tired of people popping in right ahead of me when I was trying to land.

Like @CptLucky8, I’m running a 2070S, but mine is paired with an i5-10600K, and they’re both overclocked. I’ve been quite surprised just how good 30fps can look, but I’m not going to complain. And with reports coming from folks like @RomanDesign that even 3080s aren’t offering that much of an improvement, I think I’ll stick with that 2070S at least until those issues are worked out, and maybe even longer. There’s already talk of a 3080ti, and a 3070ti, but you know how rumors are. I did sign up for stock notifications from EVGA on several 3080 models, but even if I get the email that I can grab one, I’m not sure I’m quite ready to do so, but we’ll see if/when that email shows up.

Anyway, once again I’ve rambled on and on, but to get the 30fps in most places, I just followed the instructions mostly to the letter. And it worked.

2 Likes

Please vote:
Request: Make it impossible to spawn on runway in LIVE mode

2 Likes

Now news like that makes me wish I still had Geforce Experience installed. @CptLucky8, any thoughts on whether or not that will have a negative impact on performance in general, or on this new driver? I’m inclined to give it a shot, I can always go back if it causes a problem.

Let’s see when it is released, but it might be better continuing the driver specific discussion here:
PSA: NVidia has found the root cause of stuttering and VR performance in their drivers!

@CptLucky8 is there a difference using 60 openxr 120TAA than using 120 openxr 60TAA?I’m using the first combination with very good results without reprojection.Fps 20-25

Yes of course there is a difference. The former is rendering with super-sampling which helps eliminating both aliasing and enhance texture detail but some of it is lost in the center because of the subsequent distortions mandatory for displaying in the headset. The lower res. view contributes in lowering the resources needed for reprojection. Whereas the later is using the CAS Shader to enlarge a smaller rendering into a larger view enhancing some of the details. It is reducing rendering cost a lot but increasing a little bit the reprojection computations.

This is all explained in better details in the “Balancing Visuals and Performance” chapter in the OP.

1 Like

@CptLucky8 Thnx for your quick reply.i can feel a movement of the cockpit while moving up and down my head like a tilting is this normal ?Its not so bad but it’s there.Do you have it also?Is there any solution ?

Forum search? no solutions but discussions and theories.

Should I be turning off G-sync in nvidia control panel for VR with the G2 or can I leave it on without penalty to performance?

Hi All,

Signed up just to add my appreciation for all the advice contained in the OP. I’m running a Ryzen 3950x and a 2070s and, with the recommended settings above, am getting consistent 35-45fps with no noticeable stuttering. This is my first foray into VR so I have nothing to compare it to, but for me the experience is just incredible.

Finally received my 3080 yesterday so it’s going to be very interesting for me to see what, if any, difference that makes. I’m not a PC gamer - I only have a decent GPU for flight sims - so if it doesn’t make an appreciable difference to fs2020 it’ll be going back.

1 Like

Welcome onboard and thank you for your kind words!

As for the 3080 it will allow you raising more stuff, especially everything “pixel shader” related (more effects like ambient occlusion and reflections, a little more textures because there is more VRam, etc…)

2 Likes

Let us know how your upgrade goes! I am in the same boat, and wondering if a 3080 would allow me to run at 100% in both OpenXR and in-game Render Scaling. The G2 just looks so amazing when both are set to 100%, but my stomach cannot handle 10FPS.

1 Like

likely the FPS won’t improve all that much, as the 3950X is unlikely to let you go all that much faster, especially in built up areas etc.

What you should be able to do however is run at a much higher resolution and have more settings turned up. My 3090 Just arrived today (I went 2070S - 3070FE - 3090FE) and it’s night and day… you still need to follow some of the guides provided by our hero CptLucky as they pertain to smoothness but I can now run my G2 at 100% in game, 100% OXR, a mix of high/ultra/medium with one or two lows and maintain over 30fps… the 3080 isn’t that far behind except for in the Vram department.

2 Likes

Some people say they can do 100TAA and 100SS on the G2. I have my reserves about that. They must be doing something better than me.

On a i9-10900K and a 3090 ( Cessna 172 classic ) Nvidia driver 457.30 with the G2, I can push 90 SS at 100TAA but, I can only achieve that on a clear day with no traffic, and it’s rather borderline.

When the weather starts to settle in, the only way for me to get a smooth experience ( in all weather / Live weather ) is to drop my SS to 65 and TAA to 100. This way it’s very smooth, except for a micro stutter or two when I really push the aircraft for testing ( which I don’t do in normal flight ). I use motion smoothing on automatic, this is the only way that is confortable for me… I move my head all the time…

I have my textrue on high quality in Nvidia CPL, and the textures in Fs2020 on high. The only things off are reflections and contact shadows.

Try disabling Ambient Occlusion and Bloom. This shall give you some more room. Then try NVidia Performance (and the other NVidia panel settings I’ve published) to see if you gain some more. I’m wondering about these in particular because nowadays Perf/Qual should be nearly the same “except” if you also tweak the other “perf” related NVidia settings (trilinear opt. etc…)

1 Like

Motion smoothing may be the difference - it carries a pretty significant overhead.

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot! Thanks.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m very happy with those settings, the clarity is good enough for my purpose. I’m just looking for the less stutters and the most fluidity as possible. I’m ok with a trade off to achieve that.

I’ll report back

1 Like

You are right, motion smoothing adds a significant amount of bluriness, hence my attempt at compensating with the highest texture settings I can get. Those differences are subtle but definitelty present.

1 Like