My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

There is glare for sure and it is intrinsic to Fresnel lenses, and the G2 is superior in this area. But in practice in the simulator, I don’t find this too distracting. I believe I just got used to it or I instinctively avoid putting my head in a direction where it shows up without realizing. I just wish there would be some 3080 available so that I can try pushing it further, but in this case, I would be able to also push the G2 further… Nevertheless, I’ve just posted another take at the “G2 vs Index” question here:

PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions - #71 by CptLucky8

Thanks Captain!

Just get a 3090, I think they are slightly easier to get. I’ll chip in, as a matter of fact I think a lot of users in this forum should! :slight_smile:

Seriously

1 Like

I have a 3080 for a month or so, and the performance in MSFS is terrible. Overclocked it’s almost at 3090 level. People with 3080 and 3090 compain of often a worse performance with G2 than 2000 series cards. So I don’t think there is any performance gain, maybe even some loss. Maybe it’s the Nvidia drivers, or maybe MSFS VR implementation, but something it not right… Because when compaing GTX 1660 to 3080 in 4K resolution in MSFS the difference is huge. When I could barely get 20-30 I’m getting 50 FPS. Too bad VR killed flat-screen gaming or simming for me. It’s just not the same after tasting VR.

1 Like

MY specs blow all of your guys out of the water, however I have a Nvidia card and so far MSFS does not play well with there cards. X plane is my choice as of right now until this Multi billion dollar company can figure it out.

@RomanDesign, it’s all brand new. I’m sure we’ll see those fixes and optimizations hitting our hard drives within a very short amount of time. In the meantime, I’m actually quite impressed with what I’m experiencing so far, especially with the helps from this thread.

No, I’m not getting 144fps, or 120, or 100, or even 60. Mostly I’m getting 30 that is so consistent it’s almost like it’s been locked in as a minimum and a maximum, though that is not the case. And I’m very happy with those 30. Sure, I’d like more, I mean more is always better, right? But I’ve learned I don’t need those insane frame rates in a flight sim in VR to have a very, very good experience.

And just look at it this way, if Nvidia does have problems right now, imagine how good things will be once they fix it? And I have absolute faith that they will!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this guide! It has made this journey into VR so much more enjoyable.

I do have a question about the super sampling and render scale. I have both set to 70%, so wouldn’t that effectively be the same as setting SS at 100% and Render Scale at 50% or vice versa (since 70% of 70% is 49%)? If that is true (a big assumption), wouldn’t it be best to set SS at 100% and adjust the sim Render Scale as needed as you wouldn’t need to exit and restart the sim to make changes?

1 Like

This is a good question! First I usually can manage to exit VR, make a change, then enter VR back. Sometimes it is stubborn but usually this is ok. The balancing between the two is mostly a question of optimizing where do the CPU/GPU couple is spending its energy for a certain level of visuals. I also tend to use 70/70 because it is an overall good balance for my test system, where I can choose lowering to 60/70 or raising to 80/70 quickly depending. It really depends on your hardware and taste though in the end.

Hi captain,

I’ve noticed that most people, including yourself, prefer to lock at 30 FPS and turning off reprojection. I happen to like it and prefer to keep it on, as I have not noticed any artifacts yet. However, my question to you is if I should lock at 30 FPS or not when using reprojection. Thanks

1 Like

It depends on your preferences and hardware! I’m fine at 30 without (tolerating juddering because I don’t translate my head much and when rotating only/mostly it is minimal).

Of course. All I’m saying that an upgrade to 3080 or 3080 given the current state of thing, may not give any performance improvement, and may even cause some loss…

Sorry, trying to stay in the loop but getting through all the posts in this thread is exhausting (although several attempts on my part).

How do I lock the FPS to 30?

You can do it in the nvidia control panel under manage 3D settings.

2 Likes

Hey guys, maybe this has been posted here already, but it looks like Nvidia found the bug that caused low fps and stuttering with some drivers. They’re going to release a hotfix this week. Check it out:

Maybe we don’t have to use the .3 driver anymore after this.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Fingers crossed

@RomanDesign, well then maybe it’s a good thing that unless we’re willing to pay scalper prices (and I’m not, even though hypothetically I could if I decided I wanted to), we’re probably not going to find any in inventory anywhere until hopefully after Nvidia has had a chance to do whatever optimizations in drivers, etc. are done!

@rhubarbapapa, what I did was to go to the very first post and basically monkey see monkey dood (is that a word?) with @CptLucky8’s instructions, right down to the driver level he recommended, and the Nvidia Control Panel choices. I have made some minor changes to the in-sim settings, and I went with the 100 OXR, 70 TAA option, and I’m getting 30fps +/- 1 in essentially all situations EXCEPT super dense scenery. Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris was particularly bad, with me seeing single digit framerates, but it’s huge, absolutely gorgeous, handcrafted, and I literally had to taxi like 5 miles to get to my assigned runway. If you chose a parking spot near a runway and went without ATC, or just spawned ON a runway there, it wouldn’t be so bad.

But please don’t spawn on a runway if you’ve got multiplayer turned on, you never know when someone might be on very short final when you do that. That by itself is one of the reasons I rarely run with multiplayer on at all, because I got tired of people popping in right ahead of me when I was trying to land.

Like @CptLucky8, I’m running a 2070S, but mine is paired with an i5-10600K, and they’re both overclocked. I’ve been quite surprised just how good 30fps can look, but I’m not going to complain. And with reports coming from folks like @RomanDesign that even 3080s aren’t offering that much of an improvement, I think I’ll stick with that 2070S at least until those issues are worked out, and maybe even longer. There’s already talk of a 3080ti, and a 3070ti, but you know how rumors are. I did sign up for stock notifications from EVGA on several 3080 models, but even if I get the email that I can grab one, I’m not sure I’m quite ready to do so, but we’ll see if/when that email shows up.

Anyway, once again I’ve rambled on and on, but to get the 30fps in most places, I just followed the instructions mostly to the letter. And it worked.

2 Likes

Please vote:
Request: Make it impossible to spawn on runway in LIVE mode

2 Likes

Now news like that makes me wish I still had Geforce Experience installed. @CptLucky8, any thoughts on whether or not that will have a negative impact on performance in general, or on this new driver? I’m inclined to give it a shot, I can always go back if it causes a problem.

Let’s see when it is released, but it might be better continuing the driver specific discussion here:
PSA: NVidia has found the root cause of stuttering and VR performance in their drivers!

@CptLucky8 is there a difference using 60 openxr 120TAA than using 120 openxr 60TAA?I’m using the first combination with very good results without reprojection.Fps 20-25

Yes of course there is a difference. The former is rendering with super-sampling which helps eliminating both aliasing and enhance texture detail but some of it is lost in the center because of the subsequent distortions mandatory for displaying in the headset. The lower res. view contributes in lowering the resources needed for reprojection. Whereas the later is using the CAS Shader to enlarge a smaller rendering into a larger view enhancing some of the details. It is reducing rendering cost a lot but increasing a little bit the reprojection computations.

This is all explained in better details in the “Balancing Visuals and Performance” chapter in the OP.

1 Like