My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

@CptLucky8 Thnx for your quick reply.i can feel a movement of the cockpit while moving up and down my head like a tilting is this normal ?Its not so bad but it’s there.Do you have it also?Is there any solution ?

Forum search? no solutions but discussions and theories.

Should I be turning off G-sync in nvidia control panel for VR with the G2 or can I leave it on without penalty to performance?

Hi All,

Signed up just to add my appreciation for all the advice contained in the OP. I’m running a Ryzen 3950x and a 2070s and, with the recommended settings above, am getting consistent 35-45fps with no noticeable stuttering. This is my first foray into VR so I have nothing to compare it to, but for me the experience is just incredible.

Finally received my 3080 yesterday so it’s going to be very interesting for me to see what, if any, difference that makes. I’m not a PC gamer - I only have a decent GPU for flight sims - so if it doesn’t make an appreciable difference to fs2020 it’ll be going back.

1 Like

Welcome onboard and thank you for your kind words!

As for the 3080 it will allow you raising more stuff, especially everything “pixel shader” related (more effects like ambient occlusion and reflections, a little more textures because there is more VRam, etc…)

2 Likes

Let us know how your upgrade goes! I am in the same boat, and wondering if a 3080 would allow me to run at 100% in both OpenXR and in-game Render Scaling. The G2 just looks so amazing when both are set to 100%, but my stomach cannot handle 10FPS.

1 Like

likely the FPS won’t improve all that much, as the 3950X is unlikely to let you go all that much faster, especially in built up areas etc.

What you should be able to do however is run at a much higher resolution and have more settings turned up. My 3090 Just arrived today (I went 2070S - 3070FE - 3090FE) and it’s night and day… you still need to follow some of the guides provided by our hero CptLucky as they pertain to smoothness but I can now run my G2 at 100% in game, 100% OXR, a mix of high/ultra/medium with one or two lows and maintain over 30fps… the 3080 isn’t that far behind except for in the Vram department.

2 Likes

Some people say they can do 100TAA and 100SS on the G2. I have my reserves about that. They must be doing something better than me.

On a i9-10900K and a 3090 ( Cessna 172 classic ) Nvidia driver 457.30 with the G2, I can push 90 SS at 100TAA but, I can only achieve that on a clear day with no traffic, and it’s rather borderline.

When the weather starts to settle in, the only way for me to get a smooth experience ( in all weather / Live weather ) is to drop my SS to 65 and TAA to 100. This way it’s very smooth, except for a micro stutter or two when I really push the aircraft for testing ( which I don’t do in normal flight ). I use motion smoothing on automatic, this is the only way that is confortable for me… I move my head all the time…

I have my textrue on high quality in Nvidia CPL, and the textures in Fs2020 on high. The only things off are reflections and contact shadows.

Try disabling Ambient Occlusion and Bloom. This shall give you some more room. Then try NVidia Performance (and the other NVidia panel settings I’ve published) to see if you gain some more. I’m wondering about these in particular because nowadays Perf/Qual should be nearly the same “except” if you also tweak the other “perf” related NVidia settings (trilinear opt. etc…)

1 Like

Motion smoothing may be the difference - it carries a pretty significant overhead.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a shot! Thanks.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m very happy with those settings, the clarity is good enough for my purpose. I’m just looking for the less stutters and the most fluidity as possible. I’m ok with a trade off to achieve that.

I’ll report back

1 Like

You are right, motion smoothing adds a significant amount of bluriness, hence my attempt at compensating with the highest texture settings I can get. Those differences are subtle but definitelty present.

2 Likes

OK, I turned off hyperthreading, and tried the OXR setting at 70, with a TAA setting that’s a bit of an oversample compared to the native resolution of my G2s. I was quite impressed with the results.

As someone else noted, my CPU didn’t seem to be getting as hot, but that’s kind of an unscientific observation, because I’m simply basing it on how much my CPU fan did not rev up compared to before.

My frame rates increased, but only marginally, maybe 3fps, but when you’re starting at 30, that’s 10%. But overall it seemed both sharper, inside and out, and smoother. Perhaps that little bit of oversampling pushed me over the visual edge, but brought me back on the fps to my baseline (plus a little).

I didn’t note the exact values, but it was definitely more than before.

Now, a question. Although disabling hyperthreading seems to help FS2020, is it going to hurt me in other areas? I realize in some ways it’s almost a joke, and more marketing than actual tech, as the hyperthreaded “cores” are tiny by comparison to the physical ones (performance wise anyway), but should I plan on leaving HT on unless I’m flight simming?

2 Likes

Yes, leave it on outside of sims. You’ll notice a difference. Most games leverage it effectively.

1 Like

I notice a few people have trackIR and a g2 headset.

I would be interested to know how a VR headset compares to trackIr on a largish screen. Does the 3D make a substantial difference? What other advantages does VR have over conventional head tracking.

You might want to create a new topic then.

1 Like

I have both and it’s apples and oranges. TrackIR is very functional and I use it when I’m doing flight lessons. (I stream via Discord, and there’s just no good way to stream the VR view to someone else.) If you have lots of physical controls that you need to be able to see, you’ll need to use TrackIR.

G2 is the dream though. The immersion isn’t even comparable with TrackIR. If you can work around the inconvenience of being locked into a headset, you should absolutely shoot for the G2 or another VR headset.

You mention that the rendered resolution of the G2 is 3172x3100, even though the real resolution is 2160x2160. When you were testing out SteamVR which of those did you use when setting the Resolution per Eye setting?

With the new NVidia drivers I have been testing SteamVR and getting better performance, but realized the image quality isn’t as good, so I don’t think I am comparing apples to apples yet.

I’d suggest you review the links I’ve posted in the OP under the last chapter “Further Comments”

starting with this one: WMR Scaling and Dev Tools - Some Explanations

Thank you so much for these posts… this must have been a TON of work, and you somehow managed to accurately describe how these settings interact. I never would have figured out the interplay between the NVidia driver settings and OpenXR motion smoothing, and they are significant. It’s very, very easy to get this game to run poorly in VR, which is too bad because when you get it dialed in it’s super impressive.

I struggled for quite a while, feeling like I had the settings ALMOST where I wanted them. I kept tweaking and tweaking but not getting the results that always seemed right around the corner. If this sounds like you, and you are reading this, make sure you roll back the NVidia driver to 457.30! I felt like my performance was on the edge of acceptable, and I was almost there on the ones I had already (461.09). It seems so rare these days to have a driver issue that impacts performance in a serious way, but rolling the driver back to 457.30 improved matters relatively significantly, and gave plenty of headroom to get me the framerates I was looking for.

Also, as suggested above, if you are an FPSVR user who is looking for a way to monitor frame rates using WMR, the overlay that you can turn on in the OpenXR developer tools works fine for tweaking the settings inside FS2020… it is visible inside the headset (as opposed to the frame counter inside FS2020, which I couldn’t read with the headset on). It’s nice to not have to remove the headset to get the last settings dialed.

Thanks again for this thread!

2 Likes