My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Yes, even in non-VR mode, that is something that has confounded some reviewers since the beginning in MSFS. Right at release I remember specifically some videos where people mentioned that adjusting graphical settings that one would expect to make a measurable difference in frame rate having none at all in actuality.

1 Like

Big thanks to @CptLucky8 for your recommendations and reasoning behind decisions. Today I found my 9700K wasn’t running at 5Ghz as I’d previously thought, so I’ve put that back in place and also applied some overclocking to my 2080 Ti (some further stability testing needed). I’ve been able to push a few settings higher, and can sit on Innsbruck runway with the broken cloud (Ultra volumetric) preset in the A320 sitting at 30/31fps in my G2. When flying at around 13000ft in/out of the clouds it’s pushing 34-35fps, and in both cases showing GPU-bound. With the visuals looking this stunning (OpenXR 70, TAA100) and smooth, I think I’m unlikely to improve it any further unless MS are able to make further optimisations (and even if they do, I think due to the headset syncing at 30fps (divisible into 90Htz) it’s really best to push detail levels up to still get as close to just above stable 30fps as possible).

1 Like

I noticed that when I followed your directions to install older drivers, it uninstalled GeForce Experience. Is that intentional, or did I do something wrong?

Also, I was wondering if you had any recommendations regarding the SteamVR implementation of OXR. I understand that the WMR OXR is preferred, but there are certain factors that would make the SteamVR version an attractive option (use of third party software, ability to use per-application settings).

Man, I don’t know how you’re doing that. I have a i9-9900K at 5GHz and an Oc’d 2080ti with these same settings and I just sat on the runway at Denver in a 747, overcast, not even moving and my frame times times were in 50s. Tried 90Hz and 80Hz refresh rate. 90 was worse, but neither was acceptable, obviously.

1 Like

When you manually install an older driver, there should be two options in the installer launcher: 1 to install just the driver and 1 to install geforce experience as well. If you don’t select that, it installs the driver and will uninstall your existing geforce.

2 Likes

Thank you all again for all your kind words!

@GiftedVoyage273 Fortunately you don’t have to invest much time anymore, I’ve done this for you! :slightly_smiling_face: Let me know how it goes on your system.

@stekusteku The CAS Shader setting is in fact PostProcess > Sharpen. Because there seems to remain probably a bug with the UserCfg.opt file where some VR settings are saved in the non VR section, I’d suggest you disable/enable Sharpen in both PostProcess sections.

NB: during my tests I’ve tried comparing disabling it, given the G2 pixel density. Although I did find it gave probably a better look and feel for distant mountains (less sharp like you’d see through air turbidity far away), it was not saving any fps at all in my tests and given I sometimes change the TAA+SS ratio depending on the aircraft, I didn’t wan’t bothering changing this one also each time.

@Aspelta I don’t know what advice I could give you for this except uninstalling and reinstalling the OpenXR Dev Tools, eventually WMR as well?

@Tensorflow1113 Thank you for the tip, I’ve added a link to your post in the OP!

I also believe like you it is wasting time trying to chase higher fps in VR because unlike 2D where you can compensate with FreeSync/G-Sync or dispense with it because you’re already higher up in the fps, in VR, there is a huge gap between the few available steps:

30fps → +30% → 40fps → +12.5% → 45fps → +33% → 60fps → +50% → 90fps
30fps → +50% → 45fps
etc…

For this reason, either you’re trying to maximize everything at 30fps which is sufficient if there are no stutters, or you’re balancing everything trying to reach at least 45fps which is hard to reach unless you have the top of the line hardware today.

@Spammy1010 Hard to compile a list because more often than not both are involved. I’m not sure I’ve detailed some of this in “My 4K Settings” post but in practice, you should be able to find out which is affecting the most of the CPU or the GPU if you’re cranking up fully one by one. Please note however it is not just a matter of what individual setting is doing, it is more about what the combination of settings is doing together. This is why although useful to see in isolation what each setting is doing, I don’t recommend much using the information in the “break down settings” discussion for finding what you can turn up or down for optimization purposes.

@Kreutzberg The idea is to push the ideal quantity of GPU work so that FS2020 is barely able to go beyond 30fps, effectively saturating it to a known refresh rate the VR stack will try to stick to.

@rassy7 I’d suggest you post this in the other discussion “My VR Settings - Index

As a matter of fact I’ve just posted something helping a lot a few minutes ago:
Eliminate most stuttering with SteamVR with this

NB: you’ll have to use 457.30 as well.

@Mike5285 I’m not even OC the CPU nor the GPU yet although I’d like to try (water cooled CPU here). I’m just unlocking all cores at 4.6 and pushing them to the fullest with the Power Config trick. Do you have any recommendation/tool/clock settings to push the CPU to 5Ghz?

@IkeV I don’t install GeForce Experience. It is interfering with FS2020 settings behind your back and I don’t need any of its features. (update: I’ve just read @ODirtyMike0 answer which is correct).

As for the executable path, I’m not sure whether the Steam Store version is not just a bootstrap or the full exe. In any case, it should show in the “last used” list in the NVidia CPL isn’t it?

As for SteamVR OpenXR I’ll revisit this later but honestly, I find no need right now.

I did see a small improvement in MSFS. Cinebench took a major hit, though. Since I am not doing any video rendering now and mostly playing MSFS, I’ll leave it off for now.

2 Likes

I also have a water-cooled rig a 9700K with the Z390 motherboard, and followed the ideas in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sk4ISqmL88&list=LL&index=1

Hope that helps!

I also overclocked my EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra a little bit, using the EVGA Precision X1 software. I’m still GPU-bound as I mentioned, because I’m pushing my settings as far as possible while trying to stay just above 30fps - I don’t think my 9700K/2080Ti can take any more without introducing instabilities.

1 Like

Thanks. Didn’t realize I wasn’t still on the Index one. Maybe I just need a G2. Thanks.

1 Like

I found you have smaller Cockpits using less than Game Scale Rendering 100% maybe due to needing to redraw textures in changing settings. It doesn’t always alter sizes. So for me it’s Game 100% and Dev Tool 50%.
If you want to use BING + PHOTOGRAMMETRY (and you really should if you can) then keep the ROLLING CACHE on your best Drive like many OS are on M.2 or even NVE rather than say on the Games’ SATA SSD as it will chug! Then you only need LOW TEXTURES, HIGH WATER & CLOUDS and others mostly OFF or LOW. Terrain & Buildings at 100% which I think are connected to Draw Distance rather than the Cache Size.

1 Like

With your driver and your settings I’m getting 22 FPS in C152 in lesson. :frowning:
I have no idea what else can be different… I also disable SMT as some advised - I’m not seeing any imrpvement…

@RomanDesign Do you have any mod in the community folder?!? (sometimes it doesn’t take much to have a different outcome) Otherwise you might want to reconsider overclocking the 3080. Maybe you’re hitting the thermal protection causing throttling…

I did testing with overclocking disabled, I also trie dwith empty community folder. But I just realized last time I probably was looking at the wrong number in OpenXR Dev “frame timing overlay” as advised by @ ImXLXL - it’s 22.6/23.3ms 45Hz. First number is not FPS I think? It has no units byt Hz is FPS as far as I can tell (Hz means iterations per second, so it seems logical). If that’s the case, then 44 or 45 is my FPS so that reproduces ImXLXL numbers. Just tested - yes, devmode counter shows 39FPS on the ground in “first solo” lesson with SS100/TAA70. It did show 45 with SS70/TAA70. But when I turn my head it’s not smooth at all, it’s jittery. I don’t see the smoothness from example videos…

1 Like

Yes, ms is frame timing (CPU/GPU) and Hz is FPS. Your timing is not bad. It can be choppy on the ground but once you are in the air it should be fine. You can also try reprojection on for smoothness.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the detailed and in-depth analysis. I have been getting fair performance from my Reverb G2 but by yesterday was starting to get confused … by the time I’d read most of the threads or watched most of the YouTube videos on optimizing performance, I was seeing totally conflicting advice (and everything in between).

Today, set up my system exactly per your settings and just made a 2 hour flight in the CJ4.

Best VR flight I have had so far. By miles.

I was just making about 28-30fps at times (just my mk. 1 eyeball estimate) but it was smooth from take off to landing. With the ‘TAA 70% SS 70%’ balance I had pretty good outside view and fair avionics display. Only change I made was 4x4 supersampling so that I could see the lines on the runway!

i7 9700
RTX 2080ti

1 Like

It seems that reprojection is just as bad on the ground (a bit smoother but still has the strobing effect when turning head plus the reprojection artifacts), but it gets much better at altitudes. Without reprojection I still get strobing even though the FPS shoots up into 50+ territory, but with reprojection it’s becoming much smoother despite staying at 30Hz. I wish the reprojection was as good as it was with Rift S in X-Plane - it was much smoother, with less artifacts. But finally it seems that I get into FPS territory that others are having. So thank you for that.

The fact is that on a high-end PC with RTX 3080 with G2 it still not as sharp as it should have been - on 100% both it’s not gonna fly :slight_smile: And even on 70%SS/70%TAA or my current 70/90 (my sweet spot in lessons, it seems) it’s barely acceptable and far from real VR smoothness. There is still srobing (judder?) and when turning or looking on the grond, there is still some slight stuttering every 5-10 seconds. I think if I get to a dense area it will all be much worse. That’s all a bit disappointing. Let’s hope the drivers and MFS will get better.

@RomanDesign It is good you’re getting better results now. You’re most likely referring to 2 different artifacts: juddering (the gauges in front of you are de-doubling when moving the head side to side), and reprojection (visible due to the black pixels to the opposite side your turning the head to).

The former is unavoidable unless you’re displaying at 90fps for a 90hz panel. It could be avoided at 45fps or 30fps but re-reprojection (and LCD remanence) is intervening and causing double view of the same pixels.

Motion Smoothing is there to help reducing these artifacts in creating next frame pixels in extrapolating the last 2 frame pixels, but it is also causing wobbling whenever it can’t discriminate far from near pixels for example.

Yes, youdescribed it exactly. So, to us your terminology, juddering is very annoying, and in XPlane this was almost completely solved by ASW (Oculus variant of motion smoothing). As long as you can do 27FPS it was totally smooth on Rift S (80Hz), with very little artifacts. WMR G2 smoothing still has visible judder remaining (although less than without it), AND it adds a lot of artifacts as well, unless FPS are much higher, then the picture changes and it seems to be much smoother than raw no-smoothing way. At least that’s what it seemed to me. So, motion smoothing looks overall worse than without it around 30FPS and much better than without it with more headroom, apparently.

1 Like

Getting consistent 27-28 FPS with high settings
OpenXR render scale -80%
TAA SS - 140
G2
i910900K
3090 FE
64 gb ddr
Ssd and Mvne drives

This is not an optimal combination regarding perf/pixel. Have you tried one of the 3 combo I’ve listed?

I’ve selected these 3 because I’ve tried them all from TAA 50 to 120 (8 values) and OXR 50 to 100 (11 values) = 88 combos, and I’ve kept the ones minimizing the rendering resources while delivering the most details in their respective balance/tradeoff (inside/outside/EFIS).

If you still prefer supersampling in FS2020, you might want just trying TAA110 + OXR100 and compare with TAA140 + OXR80. You might get near same visuals but better fps.

Just let us know!