My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Yes - MSFS on the right.

The headset matches the left, although it feels much worse in the headset.

It’s wobbly/jerky and pretty much unusable. I’ve tried to see if it’s isolated to a particular axis, but couldn’t. If I hold the headset in my hands and turn really slowly then the effect is diminished, hence my description of it being overly sensitive, but it could be laggy, I guess. Hard to describe, hard to tell…

1 Like

New to VR and this topic.

First off, thanks @CptLucky8 for your great work here. Amazingly helpful as I’m totally new to VR (which is jus amazing by the way!)

I;m having very good results with the Reverb G2. I’ve found it much better not using motion reprojection - I get a lot of juddering/stuttering when I do this, and find it smoother and clearer without. I find the cockpit can judder a bit on fast head movement, but the distant scenery is rock solid.

My settings are in line with the original post at the top of the thread, but tweaked up a little as my rig is a little more powerful.

i9 10900K, RTX 3080, 64Gb RAM

I’m using 70% render scaling in OXR. In game settings are:

I find this is giving very good results.

I have a couple of issues though that I’m not sure if anyone can give any advice over.

Sometimes the mouse disappears and I can’t get it back. The only way I’ve found so far is to ALT-TAB to another window and click back on the VR mirror window. Sometimes works, sometimes not - sometimes needs to be done 3 or 4 times to work. Anyone got an explanation or a better answer?

Colours are lacking in vividness for me - is that common? I see there are some post processing settings in the config.opt file specific to VR - are there any suggested tweaks there that would help improve the colours? Again any suggestions wlecome.

1 Like

Somewhere after the last hotfixes, new Nvidia drivers and OpenXR dev tools update, something has changed: I see a lot of very annoying stuttering that wasn’t there before. Between the stutters (which are 1-2 seconds apart) everything is butter-smooth and better than it was before Sim Update V, but now every 1-2 seconds the image just freezes for a couple of frames and then resumes, so the motion is uneven.
I use motion reprojection because I can’t stand jittery cockpit without MR. So, for the most part the picture is the smoothest ever, better than it has ever been. But the regular stutters are just killing it. It’s not enjoyable anymore. I’m on 3080, 5900X, 64Gb RAM, Ultra-fast 2Gb SSD and 1Gbit Internet connection, 80 OXR / 100 TAA, medium-high settings, so it’s not the resources. Changing settings to mostly low doesn’t help stutters at all.

I experienced the same, hence tried without reprojection and found it much better

Hi Roman,

I’m on the same boat regarding MR, can’t do without it. I also think something is broken in the way things are rendered. I’m not sure if you agree but to me 80OXR and 100 TAA doesn’t look as good/sharp as SU IV was with the same settings. But maybe I’m fooling myself. I do have very long freezes sometimes now, not the stutters you describe.

About motion smoothing hiccups, I’ve posted this a few days ago for the Index. I don’t know whether this has an impact with WMR yet, but in case this helps too, here is:

On another subject than configuration, I’ve finally decided to publish my mod for the taxi helpers:

This mod makes the Taxi Ribbon assistance less invasive in VR and more convenient in 3D

This mod replaces the set of Taxi Helpers UI so that you can keep the Taxi Ribbon assistance always enabled. It consists in modifications making them unobtrusive and naturally blending with the ground.

Smaller taxi ribbon arrows coloured green:

Blending naturally with the taxi lines and displaying only a few meters away from the aircraft.

Tweaked blue/green parking box helpers:

Displaying almost like ground painted lines as if they are normal features of the airport.

PS: the screenshots are crops from quick VR captures, I’ll update them with much better ones later!

6 Likes

A couple of things;

• Ambient Occlusion I have on LOW, there’s a marked difference to the Trees if it’s set to Off, they look flat whereas on LOW they give a bit of depth.
  • Bloom I have ON as the Sun looks like a Ping Pong Ball and it’s an immense immersion killer! I’ve tried with it Off but can’t really tell much of a difference.

I might try Texture Supersampling/Contact Shadows both OFF, incidently I don’t have any Motion/Reprojection Smoothing as it’s all disabled, I found it horrid in Racing Sims and didn’t like it in MSFS when I tried months ago. I may revisit it one day but I’m happy as is for now.

1 Like

@RomanDesign and others,
If you are having one to two second pauses, consider these two things:

1. Another app is being scheduled that is interfering - try using a process control app like Project Lasso to at least see if that helps
  2. You might have CPU (or possibly GPU) throttling due to temperature or other causes - use an app like OCCT that can plot over time the frequency of each cpu core - not the loading - but the frequency as in 5000 Mhz and make sure you focus on the heaviest loaded core - usually the highest numbered one.

I might have expressed myself not clearly enough but I’m posting this information mostly for testing purposes.

Therefore the main point is not much debating what is one’s preferences, but whether these are also affecting motion smoothing with G2+WMR as much as I find them affecting motion smoothing with Index+SteamVR.

Bloom however is less a performance problem here but a legibility problem. When enabled it might make a nicer aura around the sun, but it is also making ground as seen from above when the sun is lower a little bit more fuzzy. This is also why, in order to keep the aura visuals but to remove the induced fuzziness, I’ve created this topic: [BUG/FEATURE] Render the Sun with a fading disk when bloom is disabled

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I can’t stand the strobing without MR - anything below 60FPS looks really bad to me. Different brains are wired differently, many people seem to perceive motion fine in 30FPS in VR, but I can’t.

I can’t say definitely. If anything, it seems a bit random to me, sometimes it seems to look better than other times, for some reason. Considering G2s sweetspot and wearing it properly, it’s hard to tell when it’s the software and when it’s the eye-lens alignment. In general I find gauges resolution is as sharp as it was before. Not sure about scenery.

Yes, those stutters are random, and some of them are longer than others, possibly long enough so you’d call them “freezes”. I definitely didn’t have anything like that before.

1 Like
  1. Those stutters didn’t occur before, so the chances are not a software clash. Did you actually see any improvement with Project Lasso? I played with it at one point, but it only degraded the performance, and did not add any noticeable improvement. I have 5900X with 12 cores, it’s not like there’s not enough cores :-). What are your project Lasso setting? I tried to force MSFS to prefer 2 strongest cores, and other apps to different cores (WMR, VoiceAttack, MobiFlight, FSUIPC, SimShaker) but things crashed when I did so. If you can share your settings, maybe I could try it again.

2. I don’t think my 3080 ever goes above 70 degrees, if at all. I couldn’t get it hotter during 100% load stress-testing. It’s EVGA FTW3 Ultra, with the beefy cooler, and case has 3 140mm frontal intake fans + 4 120mm exhaust fans (counting the 3 CPU liquid cooling exhaust fans), + one memory fan and one quirky intake fun aimed at GPU so it gets the fresh air pulled to its heatsink. So my cooling is extremely robust with 9 case fans + 3 GPU fans. There is no temperature problem at all. I tried with mild GPU OC and running stock - no difference. And there were no stutters before…

1 Like

This is extremely interesting! I will absolutely test this. As MR is a must for me, I can make some sacrifices. BTW Ambient Occlusion is meant to make 3D shadows more realistic, but anything about “low” in MSFS make weird dark halos around object in a totally unrealistic way. So I wouldn’t recommend it at anything above “low” anyway. I have Contact Shadows off already. But I was keeping AO on “low” and same for Light Shafts, so I will turn those off and test.

1 Like

The issue I’ve had can be addressed by reducing the render scale from 110 back to 100 (or less). This fixes it immediately, and the issue comes back immediately if I set render res to anything above 100, so this appears to be an issue when rendering above 100%. I also tried it with reduced OpenXR resolution and get the same behaviour, so it seems to be a result of supersampling, not overall GPU usage.

1 Like

Then there’s us that have never ventured over 100, openxr or in game taa, and experiencing issues.

1 Like

I have never set OXR or TAA above 100. That’s insane, considering the number of pixels MSFS would have to render. I wish I could run both at 100%, but even that’s not possible, even after sim update 5. 80/100 is the highest I could run on 3080 / 5900X / 64Gb 3800 RAM, and still I have stutters now.

I was running with OXR @ 70 and MSFS @ 110 which is about the same as 80/100 in terms of pixels. Seemed to be a bit sharper than 80/100 in terms of instruments.

I was getting a solid 35 fps low flying through New York skyscrapers on either when testing this yesterday in the Vertigo JMB mod.

Interesting. As long as total pixel count is roughly similar, I guess why not? Although I wouldn’t think it should give more details, as it’s essentially sharpening the image with already less information than @80, I would think…

In my experience, super sampling on the SIM used to give better visuals results prior SU5. However I also find SIM SS is always with a higher perf cost and not much a visual gain, compared to OXR/SteamVR SS. The tradeoff depends whether you’re using motion smoothing, because this works on the view render size (i.e. OXR/SteamVR SS size). So for example if OXR is 3K x 3K pixels, and you’re rendering 2K x 2K upscaled (TAA < 100), motion smoothing is working on 3K x 3K pixels. However if OXR is 2K x 2K and you’re rendering 3K x 3K (TAA > 100), motion smoothing is working on 2K x 2K.

What I’m trying to push with “My VR” topics is this: trying to get the best cost/benefit balance for a best visuals goal, and this is all about trading off options and settings, and this is not easy either!

1 Like

aahh the Holy Grail :laughing: you’ll get there and we thank you for your efforts :+1:t3::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like