My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

These are not the same and I sometimes confuse myself, but in short reprojection is compensating for render-to-photon delay (which inherently shows as black edges when turning the head fast), and motion smoothing is creating new and inter-mixed frames (like Sports Mode on the TV). This is all better explained in Alex Vlachos videos and slide show in the OP.

Sometimes you can call both “Motion Smoothing” anyhow, because I believe the 1st one (reprojection) can’t be disabled in any case as it is essential to VR rendering. This didn’t occur to me before why 120Hz or 144Hz is better with the Index but now that the latest SteamVR is working much better, I can see why. With a higher refresh rate, the VR API is “projecting” the same frame more often which in effect is reducing the apparent stroboscopic illusion you get with a lower refresh rate. It is really impressive when you’re comparing the Index at 80Hz and 120Hz when in the first case on violent rolls looking over the wing the scenery horizon, you can see a “ghost gap” between the view where it was and the view where it is displaying now, whereas at 120Hz you barely notice it because it is displaying more often the same frame in between. It has the effect to also reducing juddering because with more of the same frame displaying, the gap between the contrasted line for example is shorter and therefore less noticeable.

In turn, it makes any comment such as “anyhow no game can render at 144Hz” moot, because the main point is not rendering at 144Hz, but to re-project 30Hz or 45Hz frames more often. I never thought about this this way before!

1 Like

Ah excellent I think i see now. At one point i thought turning my goggles to 60hz mode (G2) made an improvement, i guess its fair to say that 90hz should win over 60hz in that regard then, i should switch back and re-test i guess. I also dont turn off reprojection, just cant get past the ghosting.

In the Nvidia control panel why is enabling vsync to fast better than off? does the G2 need vsync?

It doesn’t always (for me at least):
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR) - #2 by CptLucky8

But I would now take this with a grain of salt: there are new NVidia drivers coming up, new FS2020 update coming up, new Win10 updates coming up, and this might change it all.

It might be the reason it is helping in VR is not related to VR but to the 2D window displaying the VR views. It could be the case if FS2020 code is somewhat “waiting” for the 2D window refreshing (D3D Present) and would not make progress on the VR rendering side during this time (either because it is coded this way - wrongly or because there is no other way - or because it is a DX11 quirk).

@CptLucky8, are we expecting something today? It is Tuesday after all…

Lifting my wet finger up in the wind didn’t tell me more about this for now, except it is cold and we might get some snow later in the morning :joy:

Kidding apart, it is certain we will get a new update anytime soon, and this will also be the first update after the 1st VR official release, therefore I hope they will also make corrections to some of the VR code.

That is interesting.

By the way, some people are reporting that changing all the FS2020 Graphics (2D) settings to low including render scale to lowest somehow improved the “stability” of the FPS in VR, or how fast FPS stabilizes after switching to VR. It really did for me.

[edit] New drivers released!

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/170131/en-us

1 Like

@CptLucky8, I’d be shocked if they didn’t. Well, except for the fact that their offices were probably completely abandoned during the holidays…

Yes definitely helps. Was running 4k in 2D and the swap between the 2D and VR was a bigger hit on the system compared to running at 1080P.

1 Like

Tried latest Nvidia driver. Sticking with 457.30. Though, there seems to be an improvement over the previous release, it still causes a lot of stutter for me as opposed to 457.30.

2 Likes

oohh hadn’t thought of that, I kept my Pancake settings in case I flew without VR but I tried last night and it was horrible :smiley: look great though even vs my Reverb G1! I’ll try that now and see for myself, thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Yes I’ve read it as well in the past. This is not making any difference on my end even if I’m in 2D I’m running in 4K. As a matter of fact my 2D settings are nearly the same as my 3D settings (because of the bug during the beta) and I’ve just raised Terrain LOD 150% in 2D and Bloom (I don’t remember the other different ones if any).

this is the enterprise driver (superset of studio drivers).

Here is the link to the Game Ready driver instead (not tested yet):
GeForce Game Ready Driver 461.40 WHQL

It seems to only be including the SteamVR .33 hotfix but not the full bug correction yet.

Not sure if this is already been pointed out, or is even useful but no harm in posting it.

You are not limited to 10% increments for the in game render scaling if you change it manually in the UserCfg.opt (at least in increments of 5 never tried 1) You will not see your custom value in the settings menu in game, but if you turn on the FPS feature the game is definitely using your custom setting.

Here is render scaling 1.25 in game (3200 x 1800 on a 1440p screen), the settings menu still says 130 but the scaling is actually the 1.25 set in UserCfg.opt .

This is a good tip but any time you change a setting there is a great chance FS2020 will round it to the nearest multiple of 10 (unless you set the file read-only which is defeating saving any setting change anyhow).

Good point. I will experiment.

If it does reset the values upon making an in game change to settings I suppose you could try and automatically change it back each time you start with a script. Starting the game from a Powershell CMD script with a line something like this “might” work, have not tried it.

(Get-Content UserCfg.opt) -replace ‘PrimaryScaling 1.000000’, ‘PrimaryScaling 1.250000’ | Out-File -encoding ASCII UserCfg.opt

1 Like

Just for information. I´ve tried the new nVidia Game Ready Driver 461.40 from 26.01.2021 and its still worse than 457.30. Every setting were the same in Control panel and MSFS for testing.

When I roll the plane an look outside, it´s stuttering, when its very smooth with 457.30. I´ll stick with the older driver.

(RTX3090, i9 9900k@4.9GHZ, 64GB@3200).

1 Like

I can confirm the same. With 457.30, I may get occasional stutters; with 461.40, it’s regular stutters in every few seconds.

Whatever this is, I am not sure they have really identified the root cause, let alone fixing it.

2 Likes

@CptLucky8 I’d like to suggest that you change the introductory graphic in your OP to VR Graphics Settings for the Reverb G2 - WMR. As a complete newbie to VR (and MSFS), your advice has really helped launch me happily on my way. But not having read elsewhere on the forum about VR in MSFS, I missed the PC vs. VR setting at the top of the General Optics, Graphics portions of the settings. I inadvertently rescued myself, I think, because I discovered when I was running in VR mode, I have access to the VR settings when wearing my headset. But just switching the graphics options to “VR” in 2D makes is so much easier to pick the VR settings in 2D. Sorry if I missed any discussion elsewhere in this thread or in others you referenced or the general forum introduction to the VR release. The sort of illustration that I think it would be helpful to amend your VR Graphics illustration in the OP post here is the discussion and illustration in the linked post and the post immediately following it:

So what’s the Best VR headset to use in MFS so far? - Virtual Reality (VR) / General - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Good idea, done!

1 Like