My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

The easiest is not to calculate anything and just reading the values in the developer mode fps window!

• TAA scaling is affecting rendering resolution, which is the actual pixels the game is rendering (yes I know, the game…)

• OXR/SteamVR is affecting Post-Process resolution, which is the number of pixels the CAS Shader is “stretching” the rendered pixels. It is also the resolution the OXR API is expecting the application to send each views at prior further internal processing for display purposes.

When I’ve started all these series I use to first fly a certain pattern around KSNA which is a “demanding” area (photogrammetry, multi players, mountainous terrain around, etc…) with the DA40 (EFIS). I was then confronting this against the A320 in different places but mostly Dubai, Hawaii. My “recommended” settings are therefore trying to set the minimum required for the visuals (ala “I wouldn’t accept anything less as a pilot”) which are also giving enough fps and stutter free experience over the LAX region in most cases. Flying nearly everywhere else is running better and allowing me to raise some settings like clouds, and/or terrain LOD now on the Index thanks to the latest SteamVR beta updates (I have to update my topic accordingly too).

The device portal is working but I didn’t use it really, just tried it out.

1 Like

I guess I have no chance with my 1080 (not TI)?

@SparkerInVR, how do you do that exactly? I’ve tried to start MSFS from within Steam VR, and although the app does fire up, it never “starts” inside of the Steam VR session. Instead, I just get an empty room with a sign that says something like “Coming up”, with a picture of FS2020.

What am I doing wrong?

Use WMR for SteamVR beta.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I do so wish more people would do this. FB is not only trying (and succeeding) to corner the VR market as a whole, they’re also doing so by holding “your” very device hostage to their ability to brick it if you don’t use their service in a manner in which pleases them.

I couldn’t use one of these with a clear conscious even if someone gave them to me, and I’d probably just use that as an opportunity to literally destroy the device while video recording what I’m doing, and most importantly, why!!

1 Like

@CptLucky8, OK friend, I need your help on this. I don’t understand how to use Steam VR with MSFS properly. If I start in the Steam VR “waiting room”, and I click on FS2020, it brings me to a matrix like room with a little sign that says (paraphrased from memory), “Up Next”, with a picture of FS2020. Aside from that, nothing whatsoever happens.

FS2020 does start in the background, as I can both hear it and see it if I peek out from under my G20, but “inside” the Steam VR session, nothing. Just that empty room and sign.

What am I doing wrong? And even though I want to know how to use it from within Steam VR regardless of if it’s a good idea or not, is it in fact a good idea?

Once again I’m asking you to save me from my own noobness induced stupidity. Many grassy ■■■■■.

I have been spending most of my time enjoying flying lately, and getting more and more reluctant to try new things. This post made me plug in my Index one more time.

I have to say, I agree with almost everything said. The latest SteamVR does make a huge difference. Being able to lock FPS at 20 or lower means almost everyone can get a smooth experience. And the Index does have all the advantages mentioned by @CptLucky8.

However, I am still going back to the G2. Yes, you can push through more pixels with Steam OpenXR, but some of those get wasted on the Index anyway. Super-sampling won’t make everything in a A320 legible; only a high-resolution headset can can.

The real deal breaker for me is Steam motion smoothing, which is far inferior to WMR. Some of the words I read from other posts but could not really understand – wobbling wins, vaseline effect, ect – make sense now. With WMR motion smoothing, the only artifact I notice is around the propeller area, which makes it much easier to manage and ignore. With SteamVR (and Oculus, by the way), they are everywhere. Even the instruments wobble when you shift you head left and right.

Lastly, the contrast and color of the G2 make everything more realistic to my eyes. The Index is too saturated, almost completely washing out the subtle effects of ambient occlusion.

Now that I have spent significant amount of time with all three major headsets. I can say definitively: G2 is the best headset for MSFS 2020.

1 Like

I’m not sure for FS2020 Steam version, but IIRC we’ve already discussed this: Steam “Home” or “Client” is just for launching the game (yes I know, the game), and once FS2020 is ready you can CTRL+TAB to switch to VR. That’s all. Now when switching to VR, you can choose SteamVR OpenXR or WMR OpenXR, the former also requires therefore WMR for SteamVR BETA to run with the G2.

I agree with what you’re saying too about the G2 and WMR Motion Smoothing.

NB: don’t forget to try adjusting this as well:
What is the new SteamVR “ADDITIONAL PREDICTION (ms)” value doing?

With SteamVR 1.16.4 I was using 50ms usually to eliminate most “wobbling”
With SteamVR 1.16.5 I usually get good results with 25ms now

This is really helping a lot getting a much better SteamVR motion smoothing.

However I do find the G2 more saturated than the Index as if it was using a “vibrancy” boost (not the same as saturation), especially on the greens, but the Index is clipping whites and I don’t know if this is a panel limitation or the FS2020 tone mapper calibrated for the G2…

Hence the need to vote for these so that we, the users, can take control back:
Provide a Sharpen strength setting, and more post-processing effect controls in VR
Implement a metering system better suited for VR

1 Like

CptLucky8:

I am new to flying sims and just acquired MSFS2020 on Dec. 12. I was so blown away that on Jan. 10, 2021 I received my brand new gaming rig aimed at wringing out hours of smooth flying while learning to fly and see the world. The rig is made up of: i9, 3080, 32 mb ram, liquid cooled, 1000 w PS. It’s currently running the 461.40 Nvidia driver.

I am a junior, intermediate computer nerd. I have been reading your columns to better understand how to improve my rigs VR performance. Yesterday, I implemented your recommendations for the Nvidia Control Panel settings found at: 3D Settings / Manage 3D Settings / Program Settings / Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I am pleased to report improved flying characteristics in 2D and VR as a result. In VR, my frame rates were running anywhere from 30 to 45 fps. The CPU never exceeded the GPU in percent utilization. All settings within MSFS2020 had been set to Ultra or High except a few at the bottom. I am using a Vive Pro headset in VR and a 32 x 20 Ultrawide monitor w/ G Sync enabled running at 120 Hz in 2D. I was flying the 336 Pan Training Jet out of Monterey, CA. Clear skies, no wind. I flew a bunch of other GA planes, too, all with improved performance (stable and smooth flights).

Today, I am about to implement another of your recommendations - installing the 457.30 Nvidia driver. I will report back on the outcome of that experiment.

Wednesday, I will receive my order for an HP Reverb G2 headset. I am hoping to greet it with a tricked out rig and effective software tweaks cause it sounds like getting IT to perform well will be another big challenge. I will keep you informed.

Imagine me doffing my cap to you (and many other MSFS Forum members) for your willingness to share your very extensive … wait for it - its another acronym…KSE’s, known in the Six Sigma Process Improvement circles as Knowledge, Skills and Experience. It has been daunting to digest but rewarding. I have greatly benefitted from everyone’s generosity and the experience has been a breath of fresh air given the current state of affairs in the world.

Thank-you!

4 Likes

Thank you for your kind words! I’m really glad this is helping more people everyday. We all learn from each other too and I’ve started these topics with a “developer” and “pilot” background to understanding what is influential to the experience, but it is unfortunately highly technical sometimes. Nevertheless I strongly believe anyone can learn these if giving enough willingness, and once you do, it opens a door to another level of understanding of computers and the technology you’re using everyday, let alone it opens the mindset to critically discerning the generic YT blah blah meant for raising clicks and popularity, from the practical knowledge you’d benefit from.

I’m really glad my 2 main VR topics are attracting so much exchange and sharing and I’ll never hesitate to continue updating the recommendations based on everyone’s feedback, because I’ve just started the topics, but we’re collectively improving them.

PS: I must admit I’m also glad one of these (SteamVR - Index) is also the most popular topic in these forums :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, I did use all your suggested settings for Index, and experimented a little more myself. The Additional Prediction – which as I understand is acting like an additional buffer to filter out occasional hiccups – doesn’t seem to make any difference for me.

I wonder if SteamVR is using depth information at all for motion smoothing. That might be the key. Regardless, given how often it gets updated, I am sure it’ll catch up with WMR soon. It already offers far more flexibility than the others.

@CptLucky8, maybe I’ve just never gone that far, how does one make that choice? Start in the Steam VR waiting room, alt-tab to switch to the game, then ctrl-tab to turn on VR, and then it asks you which to use?

1 Like

I’m sorry for the confusion in my wording: no it doesn’t ask you to choose of course you’re right. I meant you can choose, before entering VR mode, which OpenXR driver you’d like to use (SteamVR or WMR).

2 Likes

Either:

you need this for Steam VR:

Or ( if you have Steam VR running as runtime ) switch to:

And vice versa, ( latin, remember :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Not sure if this is helpful regarding the G2 saturation as I do not have one:

• you can turn off the post processing saturation overdone by the game by setting colorgrading = 0 in the UserCfg.opt .

I think I’m gonna need a step by step YouTube video to figure out where I’m going wrong here lol…

Capt, I have two questions regarding reprojection if I may ask:

1. When my FPS goes above 30 FPS, the overlay goes blue and says “Full Reprojection”. When my FPS dips below 30 FPS, the overlay goes red and says “Depth Reprojection”. What is depth reprojection and how is it different than full reprojection? Shouldn’t there be no reprojection at all under 30 FPS? I have “automatic” reprojection enabled.

2. Sometimes, even though the overlay says that I am at 30 FPS. The overlay flashes constantly between red and blue. Could it be that I am exactly at the 30 FPS “border” and it doesn’t know whether to reproject or not, or could there be something else at play. This has happened a few times. Have you experienced the same?

you can find some info here but actually a quick search didn’t lead to much more solid information (would need to search online for more pertinent - i.e. dev docs - sources):

Hologram stability - Mixed Reality | Microsoft Docs

I believe “depth only” could just be handling rotations but not translations. This means looking left/right up/down will motion smooth ok, but any translation will judder. I’m saying this because normally, to get full motion smoothing in WMR the app is required to also send the depth buffer.

As for the red/blue changes, it is like the US elections :slight_smile: you’re just over or below the threshold one frame to the other and WMR computes the reprojection, if any, every frame. If you’re in the blue zone but at the edge, the mere fact computing reprojection which is taking resources could lead to switching to red zone at the next frame, which won’t use motion smoothing and therefore lead to getting back to the blue zone on the next frame again.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the detailed response and insight as always. :smiley:

1 Like