My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

I may have to try 461.40 and hags on to see if anything changes with my setup.

1 Like

Youā€™re not the first person to report power cycling fixing or reducing flicker. I did attempt a full power cycle of the PC and headset. Iā€™ll try it again though. I would love to be able to run 60 Hz with repo on.

Iā€™ve a 3090 with a G2 and i9900Ks 5GHz.
Iā€™ve just tried 60hz after a restart with motion projection set to automatic. What a difference. Much better.
Now, how do I get rid of the artifacts on front of the prop? And when looking left/right quickly I see small black boxes for a brief second in the top left/right?

Unfortunately the flicker is still there for me after restarting.

I never thought this could be a headset problem. But now I think about it, my TV is 60Hz, and there is no flicker. I hope HP will be able to fix this then.

Best you can do is install mods that reduce the intensity of the propeller texture. They help a little.

2 Likes

Search in this topic, or my other ā€œMy VR Settings - Indexā€ for ā€œpropellerā€, there are links to mods which are working fine.

1 Like

I just finished some exhaustive side by side testing, and I can confirm that there is a dramatic difference between HAGS ON and HAGS OFF using 461.40.

My test flight is the MB-339 (highly recommend) doing aerobatics around the dramatic terrain directly to the west of Mt. Fuji.

With HAGS OFF, when you strafe buildings quickly at low altitude, their position will jitter back and forth regularly like thereā€™s a glitch in the matrix, even though the OXR frame timing overlay shows solid blue.

With HAGS ON, the buildings glide past very smoothly. The difference is quite dramatic. Iā€™d hope that this result can be easily confirmed by others, but Iā€™d be happy to attempt some through-the-lens video capture if there is interest in that.

4 Likes

Possible.

But we need to also bear in mind intel have been saying that since 2016.

Without getting too much into the technical details the Intel monolithic chip design in theory is more efficient than AMDs chiplet approach but Intel apparently are having issues getting commercially viable 10nm monolithic chips. ( This matters because 10nm is inherently faster and runs cooler than the same design on 14nm )

Among other things a bad monolithic chip gets thrown away whereas with a bad chiplet in an AMD set up only the one faulty chiplet needs to be tossed.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll give it a go as previously I was having major issues with HAGS on older drivers - just to confirm you are using it with motion reprojection?

Edit - can confirm that on the surface at least it seems to be a minor net gain in smoothness for me now, but need to do more experimenting (drivers 461.51 and latest windows updates applied).

1 Like

All the rumours do point to (finally!) a pretty significant step forward with Alder Lake thoughā€¦ of course it will likely find itself up against Zen 4 for the majority of its life cycle so really needs to be taken in that context, but even if it turns out it canā€™t entirely match Zen 4 I personally think itā€™d be good to see that intel can come back swinging, the competition benefits us all as consumers.

The moment AMD took the final crown from intel on Zen3 with gaming performance they slapped a flat rate price rise across all SKUs, simply because they could. We need a good fight to keep things in all our favour!

2 Likes

I also started noticing the jittering back and forth lately. I found that OpenXR is switching between 30FPS and 45FPS modes when that happens. So increasing resolution a little actually helps it settle down at 30.

Iā€™ll give HAGS and the latest driver a try. Itā€™s obvious whatā€™s missing in WMR OpenXR: the now standard feature of capping FPS.

1 Like

457.30 still rules on my 3090 with G1, and G2. Tried 461.40 and 461.51, hags on, hags off, still stutters. I m using motion repro though. Itā€™s a must for me. And it might be why I donā€™t see much improvement.

Got back to the G1 pro after a couple month of the G2ā€¦ I do prefer the G1 horizontal clarityā€¦ by far.

1 Like

@cymantix @AIRBORNE4795
You have conflicting results and this might be interesting looking deeper into this. What make 457.30 HAGS OFF better with one and 461.40 HAGS ON better with the other, both with the same 3090 video card?

@AIRBORNE4795 Please note @cymantix is reporting using 461.40, not 461.51 though. Could this be the key here?

Yep, Captain, I tried this one too, Iā€™ll edit to mention that

1 Like

So remains the question then: could this be youā€™re using slightly different WMR/OXR settings which are better with one driver than the other? could this be youā€™re using a different CPU which shines with one driver than the other? It would be great we could get to the bottom of the differences between your systems!

If you agree and not to encumber this discussion with lengthily details, is there a chance you could privately exchange about this and come back with some potential key differentiators others could compare with? (feel free to add me in the discussion if you want and Iā€™ll try to give my feedback if any along the way)

Iā€™m using motion repro, and I believe cymantix doesnā€™t exclusively use it ( according to previous posts, and if memory serves well ) that might be why our results are different.

Iā€™m using 65 OXR and 100 RS. I find the clarity much better than 70RS and 100OXR. The GPS in the skyhawk gets really blurry.

A bit off topic but, The added blurryness from Motion repro and 65OXR was really border line in the G2 but feels very good in the G1. The horizontal clarity of the G1 makes a big difference for me, plus I donā€™t feel like one eye is working more than the other, which was the case in the G2 and never experienced in the Rift, Index or G1.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I have the exact same system except with a Reverb G1. Now getting mid to upper 30s that is smooth even when looking around a lot. I wish the G1000 buttons were SLIGHTLY more readable but we all know we canā€™t have everything in VR.

1 Like

To further muddy the waters, while my MSFS experience with HAGS on and 461.51 was potentially slightly smoother it still utterly destroys my experience in AMS2 and ACC with wildly fluctuating frame rates.

So HAGS is most certainly still potentially problematic even on latest drivers but could perhaps be game specific.

1 Like

OK, so I tried the 60Hz with repro on and itā€™s a total no-go. I got that flicker that others have described, and it was an absolute nightmare. It was everything I could do to finish a 6 minute flight and get back on the ground at KLAS. But as a side note, do you think the Janet Air people appreciated me parking right in front of their terminal?

Anyway, is the thinking that the new drivers eliminate that flickering problem, or is that one of those if you have it, you have it things? FWIW, I did do a complete power reset after turning that on and it didnā€™t seem to do a thing.

Also, @CptLucky8, Iā€™m looking forward to see what, if any, changes you come back with for your baseline recommendations. In the past few days, from a source that is unknown to me, my system has all of a sudden found a whole lot better performance from my G2. I didnā€™t update my drivers, or really change anything at all except for the newest version of OXR, and of course the latest and greatest MSFS patch.

:man_shrugging:t2:

Aside from all of the above, a new headset is at best priority two for me, ahead of that would be a new GPU (and I donā€™t see that even hypothetically happening for another 12-18 months, unless I happen to get a ā€œbuy me now or forever hold your peaceā€ opportunity to pickup a 3080 at MSRP), and possibly a CPU if Intelā€™s 11th Gen stuff comes through with something big. But with the recent ā€œfreeā€ performance I got from wherever it is that it came from, Iā€™m actually pretty happy with the way things are now. Really at this point, unless itā€™s a scenery dense environment, Iā€™m really in pretty good shape.

Iā€™ve just found out that they reverted back to the old TAA method in this patch, so maybe thatā€™s it?