My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

My 3D printer has done a lot in 4 years. It was a DYI kit that I heavily upgraded, cost me only $175 USD 4 years ago, and quality is on par with expensive printers, for the most part. Took a while to build, I compiled the firmware and everything… As a matter of fact, I’m printing right now - parts for my 6 dual-encoder + 8 buttond VR Control Box for radios, Garmin units and Autopilot, based on MobiFlight software.

2 Likes

Great guide, with your tips I was able to make the sim playable with a Lenovo Explorer and a 1060 6gb.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I’ve already spoken with the guy who designed those gloves and hopefully we’ll be working on some stuff soon. The first try with the printer ended when it arrived damaged, so we actually ordered the newer “pro” model, which will help increase quality, if only modestly. It should be here tomorrow (Tuesday, 5/18/21).

Just don’t steal my idea to sell parts! I’m a poor, unemployed cripple (literally), with what I think is a pretty good business idea, I don’t need more competition LOL… (but seriously!)

As I’ve looked into it some more, I’ve discovered that it’s not quite as plug-n-play as I first thought, but that may actually be a good thing because it will potentially cut down future competition. The reality is that most people are not going to buy their own 3D printers, because they look at it and figure after they print the 8 or 10 pieces they want for themselves, the printer will probably sit there idle until some day down the road when they take it apart and trash it. And for most people, that’s probably a valid objection.

But I’m not most people!

I think supporting 5 fingers in a glove is overkill. Are you really going to use that pinky finger for anything? Seriously, I would start small and simply put a sensor on the index finger so it is possible to do what a mouse does. The rest is just gravy.

If there is a haptic feedback which that guy is working for, you need resistance in at least 3 fingers to feel that you actually grabbed a knob. Without haptics you still need something to interpret as a button press or grabbing a knob.

Hello Captain,
Any chance of an update to your recommendations post-SU5?

@GrueDiademe81
Not yet, I have a certain number of things to validate first, and there are many!

2 Likes

No worries, just thought I’d ask!
Thanks for the quick reply

My main question is, with the performance improvement should we increase the textures quality and the rest of the attributes or leave them like they were and only increase the render scaling bar.

@asimovthedon
I’m mostly evaluating the latest update with the Index for now, so I won’t be able to give any sound opinion on the G2 yet.

What I can see already is that SU5 allows me to raise the SteamVR super sampling from 126% to 152% (odd numbers instead of 125 and 150 but there is a reason for these, visually to me at least).

SU5 also allows me to raise a little more a few other things which I know have some leeway now, like I nearly never have to change Clouds from HIGH, and I can always use TLOD 200. But there are other settings which are still dependant on reading back the render buffers and they are still adding too much load, like Ambient Occlusion and Contact Shadows which I must keep OFF (NB: OFF for all cases, but with some lighter aircraft panels - think analogue gauges only - you can raise them alright).

PS: all the above is with my test system 9700K+2070S. With a recent 30XX card you can raise these settings reading back the render buffers without a problem most likely, and a few other things too.

3 Likes

This afternoon, I tested putting my SteamVR SS down to 100 and raising the in-game Render Scale to 120… I’m really liking the result. I’m flying the TBM 930 and am able to get very clear and crisp displays on the G3000 screens. Very smooth… locked at 24FPS at 120MHZ with zero predictions at 90 FOV.

2070S w/ Index

2 Likes

@CptLucky8 if you had a 3090 paired with a Ryzen 5900X on a G2, would you still adjust the render scale in OXR < 100? I’ve been playing with this, as well as the render scale in game, but I think I’m now totally confused and I’m getting placebo effect. I still don’t understand what the render scale impact is in OXR vs in game, and how it affects smoothness/clarity. Feel free to ignore or point me to one of your posts if already covered at length (I read most I swear).
cheers
guillaume

1 Like

How about these? Sensoryx - VRfree® glove - intuitive VR interaction
Mind you I know nothing about haptic gloves, just read about it recently. At $650 it’s also not exactly in the “affordable” category for most.

I believe the 5900X + 3090 should be powerful enough to use TAA100+OXR100 with a G2, but I don’t know for sure.

For the impact of render scaling, here is the main topic of mine:
WMR Scaling and Dev Tools - Some Explanations

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Not bad! But expensive, and still no haptic feedback. It does the same the DIY glove do, just less clunky.

1 Like

5950X+3090, TAA100+OXR100 and reprojection off, on mostly high settings gives me around 30 fps in GA in mid-density cities (Sydney Australia). TAA90+OXR100 gives around 37 fps.

3 Likes

I see! How about these? https://senso.me/

Nice. I really like the video. Looks exactly like what’s needed, with haptics, provided MSFS will work well with G2 and SteamVR OpenXR and (not WMR OpenXR). But - and that’s a big but! - $1000 for 2 gloves, and I literally couldn’t find any YouTube reviews of a real product. Only from the Senso themselves. “senso glove review” search on YouTube provides nothing on the first page. 1 video from Senso corporate, and the rest not relevant at all. So it doesn’t look good… Even if it’s a real product that’s available, I can’t afford $1000 for a pair of gloves. Especially when I could build similar (but clunkier) DIY for $30.

I frankly don’t understand why any large company doesn’t do the cheap and workable VR glove based on the same principle DIY project is. Parts cost pennies. Combined with a controller circuitry (with a ring around your wrist or top of the glove) it should cost under $200 or whatever.

1 Like