My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

In many cases their CPUs were the actual bottleneck, so even a 9XXX graphic card with 10X speed won’t help MSFS performance much.

The last section of below YouTube video is hilarious. It showed how a 3090 failed to increase even one FPS.:slight_smile:

I think you explained best why pushing for higher graphic settings may sometimes give you seemingly better performance.

This theory is hard to believe because it sounds like an impossible “I win twice” or “free meal” situation. :slight_smile: But it can enlighten many not to be self-restricted with low graphic settings.

1 Like

Confused. 460 is the latest driver I thought?

Edit - are you using beta drivers or something?

It was a figure of speech. In real world game benchmarks 3080 is anywhere from 50% to 137% faster depending on the game. Not quite 3x faster, but up to almost 2.5x faster. Close enough.

I think I’m GPU limited, if the devmode meter is to be believed. Settings are optimized. When I just let everything be default, right after the VR update I got 10FPS on my 3080. I’m not expecting 90FPS, but I expected to be able to keep it steadily above 30, for reprojection to work well. So far I can’t get it there reliably and all the time, while retaining visual clarity. I’m still experimenting…

I tried the developer driver. No good

1 Like

After screwing around for a few weeks i think i found some settings that are “good enough,” at least in the little cesna 152 or the gravel sand whatever. according to the debug window I am able to maintain 38-40fps. I’ve tried OpenXR slider up and down, re-projection off / on. msfs VR settings all over the place.

My system:
i5 10600k, typically 4.9ghz
32gb 3200mhz
zotac 3080 amp holo, current driver
msi z490 gaming edge, cpu boost and xmp enabled
reverb g2

1. Uninstalled OpenXR, i feel it is a red herring.
  2. I must reboot my pc before playing msfs in VR. i found that sometimes when i play, ONLY msfs mind you, my GPU fans never kick into overdrive and my FPS suffers. Only msfs causes this and a reboot clears it up.
  3. msfs VR graphic settings: TAA to 50 or 60 and the 2 or 3 settings at the bottom that pertain to reflections and windshields i set to low.
  4. beyond the above 3 items, all other graphic settings are set to high or ultra.

if you move your head very quickly, the interior will stutter slightly. if you are low to the ground the land can also be slightly choppy but seems to be restricted to more densely populated areas, either buildings or trees. the only setting that I’ve found that affects stutter / choppiness in a meaningful way is the msfs TAA slider. i’ve found 50 to be best for me and the graphics still look very nice on the Reverb G2, especially when all other settings are high or ultra.

I hope msfs gets their sh*t together in future releases, our computers are certainly powerful enough to run at native render scale.

Guys,

Performance issues aside, do you have the feeling that the MSFS VR (at least with G2) tires your eyes faster than other sims? I’ve been checking back and forth with X-Plane, Aerofly FS2 and there’s definitelly a difference for me. 1h in MSFS feels like 2-3h in other titles. I can almost feel a relief in X-plane even though you can’t compare both in terms of graphics. I don’t know the reason for that but it looks like the far distance objects, textures in X-Plane feels cleaner while MSFS feels/looks blurry outside. It is not a nausea, just the overall eye fatique that bothers me.

1 Like

I think it comes from the G2 to be honest. My problem with it is the face gasket. If I remove it and use foam pads, the sweet spot is better, clear from edge to edge and the FOV is larger. Hence a better visual confort and less eye strain since I don’t have to try to focus that much.

I’ve posted some of my findings about this:
PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions

I have 3D-printed a replacement gasket that is closer to the lenses, and glued the cheap VR padding on it. First impressions are mixed: padding is less comfortable than stock (because it’s much thinner, which is needed) but sweet spot is larger and FOV is significantly larger. I’m waiting for magnets to arrive, so it may not fit properly yet. Maybe I will put something instead of a magnet, because the bottom has to be about 2mm farther and I think that throws off the setup. But if you are not wearing the glasses with VR this is definitely a way to go. On G2 there is still no screen door effect and it improves everything else. At least worth a try.

As for general tiredness, the low refresh rates are absolutely certain to tire you more, and inflict more nausea. From my experiments with X-Plane, comparing different setups, I know this for a fact. Even if vision seems OK to you, the strobing makes you tired faster than smooth visuals, even if you don’t notice the jitters that much. I would bet that if we could get the FPS to 45 and get a very smooth reprojection going, the tiredness would disappear - relative to other games of course. You still get tired after hours of play. Dome people much faster than others.

One possibility is worth exploring: you may find out that flights with reprojection on will be less tiring than no reprojection, for that very reason. But reprojection has to work smoothly, so you need to get FPS above 30.

1 Like

What do you mean “uninstalled OpenXR”? Does it mean you run it through SteamVR OpenXR instead of WMR OpenXR? What’s your video rendering scaling in SteamVR then? This is an important parameter.

TAA50 is disappointingly low though, I hope future updates fix the performance. As you said, this kind of PC (mine too) should run it ad 100% native.

having openxr installed isnt a requirement to play, im sure msfs uses it behind the scenes. i uninstalled it because i didnt find any value and i didnt want it to mess up any of my other games that may use openxr.

Do you mean “OpenXR Developer Tools” instead?

These are only needed to further adjusting a few WMR settings and try out the ‘next’ OpenXR version prior official release. If you’re satisfied using any default value Microsoft is deciding for you, there is no problem uninstalling it. If you want more control, you need it though. In all cases, it will never break any other app using OpenXR for a few reasons: the features available through the OXR Dev Tool concern only WMR implementation, not OXR API (the interface to the application using it), and maybe more importantly, there are barely any other OpenXR application right now.

Have Odyssey plus +

All is clear as it should be (EFIS and all other non glass CC.). Tried all staff mentioned here, thanks to the CptLucky8. All settings are ultra and high mainly (only grass is small). LOD is 100 in MSFS, ODD is 100 in MSFS…

Played with every settings for WMR, but the best are (for me): AUTO in OpenXR (rendes scale), NO reprojection and any other stuff; I dont use Steam VR for MSFS (BUT I’ve tried before and I have MSFS Steam version). Steam VR is great, but only for things as HF Alyx…etc… in WMR (this is not about Oculus and all others non WMR headsets).

Waiting for New samsung OLED HMD with better resolution… or any other with good blacks, mainly OLED…

Best regards and wishes.

My specs are: i5 4,6; 2080S; 32gb

1 Like

Is there any courageous pilot wanting to try and let us know how the latest NVidia 461.09 is working with the G2?

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL 461.09

Ah! Will do!

1 Like

No joy so far with i9.10900kf and 3090. Just like yesterday with 465.12. I’m basically averaging 25fps in VR against a locked 30 with 457.30.

I did a clean driver install, as per usual.

It’s also very stuttery.

If someone else with a 3090 could try, that would be great.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick test and feedback! this will certainly save a lot of other pilots here!

By the way, just to make sure I didn’t miss anything, I’ve tried 446.14 again yesterday both with and without reproj. and 457.30 is still the best delivering fps and stutter-free VR experience on my test system.

NB: 446.14 was stutter-free as well but more prone to loose the few fps needed to stay above 30 for reproj, especially with the “Rain” vs “High Level Clouds” preset for example.

2 Likes

Just discovered this thread and with your recommended settings i get the best VR experience in MSFS that i have ever seen so far, thank you so much for all the information!!

RTX3080 with Reverb G2 here and i can confirm that 457.30 is performing better than the recently released 461.09 which i had installed first.

Will check in here from now on regularly :slight_smile:

1 Like