My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Iā€™m tired of it right nowā€¦:confused:
My last conclustion is that Motion Reprojection feature is a big fail (at least in MSFS with G2)ā€¦
I really donā€™t understand whatā€™s the purpose of it when all it does is introducing stutters and wobbling frames below 30fps. Maybe 45fps is the absolute min. to make it work as intended?Have no idea!
I just turned it off and my frames went up immediately (33-35 stable)
Iā€™m absolutely sure that my system is able to give me 35fps in VR, so why Motion Reprojection ON is taming it down!?
Iā€™m waiting for some serious fix, new drivers or whateverā€¦

Reprojection does make a lot of fps disappear, it takes about 8 off me, but itā€™s just so smooth if itā€™s kept over 30.

My settings are
9700K @5 ghz
2080Ti
Nvidia 456.55 (this might not be optimal)
HAGS off, Game Mode off
Nvidia Power management, prefer max performance
Nvidia texture filtering - Performance, vertical sync Fast, VR pre-rendered frames 1.
Threaded optimisation on, trilinear optimisation on
WMR with OpenXR
OpenXR: use latest preview ON
Custom render scale 110%
Motion reprojection: Disabled
TAA90
Terrain LOD 50
Terrain vector: low
buildings: high
trees: medium
Grass/Bushes: low
Objects LOD 100
Clouds: ultra
Texture res: high
Anisotropic filtering: 2x
Texture supersampling: 4x4
Texture synthesis: medium
Water waves: medium
Shows maps: 2048
Terrain shadows: 2048
Contact shadows : off
Windshield effects: medium
Ambient occlusion: off
Reflections: off
Light shafts: medium
Bloom: on
Cockpit refresh: medium

This is getting me 18-20fps sat on the Innsbruck runway today which might not be high enough for some, but for me itā€™s an acceptable tradeoff in visuals/practical use. Some of my settings might be off/without reason, and I will try downgrading my nvidia driver a bit more.

1 Like

I absolutely agree! There is a clear difference when it works but thatā€™s often not the case especially in Airliners at big airports with dense cloudsā€¦I really hope someone will finally figure it out:)

@CptLucky8 have you considered testing whether hyperthreading (on/off) has an impact on performance? MFSF2020 is heavily dependent on the per core performance, hence the question.
Martin

I canā€™t test because the 9700K is 8C/8T. However from what I know of the technology in particular and simulator in general I donā€™t expect any miracles, it can even be worse.

[update] @MrMartin0815 Iā€™ve adde the following in the OP:
Turn off your CPU SMT/HT in the Bios and unleash your VR fps

2 Likes

hi,
im running a 10900K with a 1080Ti and a rift S.

i assume openxr is of no use for me - i use the oculus tray tool to adjust settings

currently running 100 TAA and 100% SS. i barely get 20-25 FPS in the A320 with decent but not perfectly smooth performance.

anything lower than 100 TAA makes the gauges too blurry to read (they are barely readable at 100TAA).

HAGS and game mode are off, ultimate power is enabled.

is this the expected level of performance given all the factors i mentioned above? i am planing to upgrade the GPU as soon as i can get my hands on one but i dont want to drop 1000$ if i wont see any improvement.

not asking for much but smooth 30 FPS in the A320 Neo with 100TAA and 100 or so SS would be acceptable. would this be possible if i upgrade to a 3080?

any settings i can tweak right now - ive tried many things but my FPS just always stay between 20-25.

also how come some people show FPS in 30 as green. even when i hit 30, it is always red

Looking forward to this!!

The TAA 140 seems a bit high, even with a 3090, and even with openxr at 70%. I would maybe try to start at TAA 100 and slowly work your way up from there while in LA.

That is what I did

Consider lowering your clouds setting from ultra to high or even medium, it should give you substantial FPS gain.

If you have a similar setup to mine then I suggest turning off AMD SMT (hyperthreading), I can pretty much max out every setting in VR and it looks breath-taking with around 30fps+ everywhere. Iā€™m now hitting 60fps on 4k max settings on everything in non-VR too as opposed to 20-40fps.

Reverb G2
AMD 5950X SMT OFF, PBO ON, Curve Optimiser negative 15 all cores - you may need to tune this for your die.
32GB CL16 3200 RAM OC to 3800 with 1:1 ratio
3090 Founders Edition with +90core OC and +250 Mem OC.
G-sync OFF
Open XR custom render scale at 70%
Motion Reprojection disabled
TAA120
Everything else is pretty much maxed out, my Ambient Occlusion is currently OFF but will try that out too.

The main thing that allowed me to play this at any acceptable level was to disable SMT, so I assume with the 16C 16T config of a 5950X with an 8C CCD means that all the game runs on one CCD without crowding the threads on two of the best cores for all the DX11 API stuff. It seems FS2020 uses 6 cores with 4 DX11 cores? I imagine similar results can be expected from a 5800X with SMT OFF, not sure if a 5900X will since it might be 6+6 config rather than 8+4, not sure. Try it out in any case :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The G2 topic is now live:
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Iā€™d suggest keeping discussion here just for SteamVR from now on!

NB: Iā€™ll revisit this Index VR discussion later, just to make sure the recommendations are still relevant and whether I can make things better or not.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll talk about my Quest setup here since Iā€™m using Virtual Desktop and it doesnā€™t go trough Oculus Runtime at any point and uses SteamVRā€¦
I have a 1060 6GB, i5-7400, and 16GBs of RAM. I currently run 100% supersampling and 70%TAA but I might adjust that a bit since I wouldnā€™t mind trading a bit of external visibility for not having to zoom in to see the DA62 MFS properly. I updated Nvidia drivers + set VSync to fast yesterday, and forced both ATW (Standalone rotational correction) and SteamVR reprojection (which I have no proof actually does anything in VD but it feels better) on. Rest of settings are basically as low as possible save texture stuff which I crank a bit up. Since the driver update Iā€™m getting stable 15-20FPS in reasonably populated areas, flying close to the ground. To be fair Iā€™m still surprised I can like, get graphics that I consider objectively good looking and not puke

1 Like

Tried older drivers today. Back from 460 to 446. absolutely no difference. I call this placebo. I am back to the newest driver now with same results as ever before.

@Dawu777 Do you mind also letting us know what video card are you using? The recommendation about the drivers is for the 2070S (and should equally apply to all 20XX) and it is possible 460.x is finally giving good results with 30XX. Just let us know!

1080ti with index

This might be why then because no driver past maybe 430 or 440 are changing anything for the Pascal architecture. This is why it does change much for your hardware.

This post is so awesome. Thank you much for all this information and all your hard work. I havenā€™t had much of a chance to mess around with settings over the holidays, but the little Iā€™ve flown, Iā€™m having terrible stuttering and a fairly choppy , but flyable FPS.
Iā€™m curious to see how your settings may help.
One question though, I am using an Index with an RTX 3080 (I9 10850 k, 32 GBS 3200 ram and fast firecuda ssd drive.
Sin

Didnā€™t get to finish last post ā€¦
Since I am using a 3080 and not the 2070ā€¦where do you think I might be able to raise some settings?
Thanks