My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Oh, Thought it was a setting somewhere in steam that I couldnā€™t find. :flushed: Thank you

2 Likes

Good response.

1 Like

I have an issue that I canā€™t find much info on. Maybe someone here will have some input.

When in VR my FPS stay at 40. No matter the settings. I can put all settings to low or ultra and it will never change. Iā€™m able to play with no problems other than stutter below 700 feet or so. Its really noticeable when traveling faster than 150kts or making quick maneuvers. I would like to smooth this out. I feel like I could get more out of my PC but its acting like there is a setting limiting it to 40FPS.

My PC,
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz OC
64.0 GB
GeForce RTX 2080 Super OC
All drivers are up to date.

@KingPlay10 You might want to read this:
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) :green_circle: - Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thanks CptLucky8, I read through most of that a while back. Before that I was seeing stutter and wobble all the time and sometimes really bad, almost unplayable. Just trying to get this last little stutter out and canā€™t get it. Itā€™s only noticeable when looking out to the left or right or quick rolls. The terrain stutters like a lag. Everything in the cockpit is smooth.

Just curious have you ever seen a drop in performance when the parking brake is on. When Iā€™m in a plane with the parking on the FPS are really really low like half a FPS. Moving my head slow and I can still see the black screen before it loads. Taking the parking brake off and instantly smooths up.

I didnā€™t notice but this wouldnā€™t surprise me there is something related to:
Heading Increment Bug (10 degree instead of 1) Explained - Bugs & Issues / Instruments - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

(search the topic for my posts and explanations)

Het Cpt, look Iā€™m a bit slow sometimes because of my age (I spekt) but I have only realised today that you are the RXP GTN750 developer, I think?

Anyway Iā€™d like to say, thatā€™s THE single best bit of FlightSim peripheral out there. I just want to say thanks (I have the XPL version) and I hope you can eventually get it working within this game too.

Charge what you like; Iā€™ll happily pay it!

Best wishes.

1 Like

@YearlingDeer319 Thank you for your kind words! If onlyā€¦

RXP GTN 750/650 and GNS 530/430 for FS2020 - Page 3 - RXP General Forum - The AVSIM Community

1 Like

Nvidia Driver 465.89 VR performance people are reporting good things with the new driver on 3000 series cards. Am going to try and rest tonight and see how it goes. My standard bench mark now is taking off from Biggin Hill in a spitfire and flying into London city and follow the river into London.

1 Like

I did a substantial amount of testing with this new driver last night and am pleased to report I am staggered with the results, in a good way!

My machine is an i7,10070k
3070 OC
32gb ram.

My standard test flight it taking off at Biggin Hill in a Spitfire, flying to London City, doing a fast and low pass over the runway and then flying into the city following the river. I use FPSVR to monitor my stats.

Steam VR set to 120% super scaling on 90hz with motion smoothing off, no prediction and FPS locked at 30.

I did installed the latest driver, and also the new 3070 VBIOS.
Turned ON HAGS and Game Mode.
Enabled full screen optimisations on the Flightsim.exe

Render scale set to 100% , all other settings on medium/high

I am completely blown away by how smooth and crisp the flight was, the new driver seems to make everything look sharper and brighter, even this these are the same settings I have been using for a while. I got a real sensation of speed flying over the fields which I have not felt before, perhaps due to the smoothness and crisp image. No stutters over fields and built up areas at all.

I can now fly through London and the experience is much improved compared to before when it was flyable , but in no way pleasant.
What is interesting is I do have slight stutters/stall in London, but in the exact same places each time, and through extensive testing this seems to be repeatable.
I also have found another weird thing that I was able to repeat, if I fly through the whole of London, do a loop and go back on myself , then the game drops down to about 5-10 fps and does not become playable again till I reload, but this only happens if have flown through the whole of London following the river, very strange indeed.

In all other areas flying is incredible and I love it. Last night my grandad and I relived his route on the Airlink Helicopter Service between Gatwick and Heathrow that he used to captain in the Sikorski S61, but this time in the Airbus A135 which was awesome.

3 Likes

Did you mean really ā€œenabledā€? Thatā€™s the only point I disagree with your post (RTX3070 32GB and I7-10700K here, all updated like you including vbios 2 days ago). I can see stutters with it enabled, and smoother with it disabled. No offence, just checking :wink:

1 Like

None taken, I def have it enabled on my machine at the moment, thinking back I think I might have missed out doing a double test on that to see if itā€™s better with or without. I canā€™t say for certain. Will test again and update my post with the results.
I am really pleased itā€™s flying as well as it is. I was worried I was going to have to get a 3090, which I am still tempted to do, but I think the 3070 is still an awesome card

1 Like

This is why, even if I checked myself, why I donā€™t like those fullscreen optimization:

When using Fullscreen Optimizations, your game believes that it is running in Fullscreen Exclusive, but behind the scenes, Windows has the game running in borderless windowed mode. When a game is run in borderless windowed mode, the game does not have full control of the displayā€“ that overarching control is given back to the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). The DWM manages the composition/organization of the desktop display content from various applications, meaning it controls what is rendered and presented to the front of your display and what is held in the background. However, this control has historically resulted in a slight performance overhead vs FSE, where the game has full control.

To get back this performance overhead, we enhanced the DWM to recognize when a game is running in a borderless full screen window with no other applications on the screen. In this circumstance, the DWM gives control of the display and almost all the CPU/GPU power to the game.

From Microsoft Devblog.

1 Like

How do you force 30FPS/90Hz in VR ?

@Cercata
Steam 1.16 update advanced motion smoothing options

Sorry, I arrived here from another post about the G2, didnā€™t realize this was about SteamVR, Iā€™m using the reverb G1, they only way I found at the moment is the NVIDIA control panel. Is there a better way of doing it for WMR devices ?

There is no way that I know of.

1 Like

Thank you. I have been so fricken dissatisfied with vr in MSFS 2020ā€¦ until I tried your settings I had a jerky stuttering messā€¦ WITH EVERYTHING AT MIN SETTINGS WTF? Just got done with first flight longer than 5 minutes in VR without wanting to hurlā€¦ then hurl my index.

Question. I cannot find the slider for steam VR SS. this is the only setting I havenā€™t been able to match and it seems critical for balancing the cockpit vs view outside. With advanced on it just shows an on off toggle for automagic sampling or something. Is this due to version diff? I am running most recent steam client, steam vr, msfs 2020 and nvidia drivers. Since result was smooth I havenā€™t looked at stepping versions down to completely match your guide yet.

Only problem I have is legibilityā€¦ guages are good but buttons and most text is no bueno less I get real close. But VFR flying is now VERY enjoyable. THANK YOU!!!

Running a 2070s, 32gb RAM, i5 9600k 60 render in msfs. ??? SS in steam vr with application specific render lowered to 78%.

The checkbox in the advanced settings is for texture supersampling. The sliders for supersampling are for resolution supersampling, as in setting the resolution higher than than the native display resolution.

Thank you for your kind words! Iā€™m glad this is helping!

As for Super Sampling, look at these screenshots from the OP:

In the first one, Resolution Per Eye is the global SteamVR SS setting which applies to all apps.
In the 2nd one, Custom Resolution Multiplier is the Game Specific SS value (in this case 78%)

NB: this topic is now getting old and Iā€™m still waiting for the next NVidia driver update and FS2020 update until revising it. In the meantime, with the Index, Iā€™d suggest you try out the following settings instead:

1 Like