My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢

Further feedback from today with NVidia 466.11 and FS2020 1.15.8:

• NVidia CPL: none of these make any major diff either (I only tested these 2 combos):
    Low Latency OFF | Threaded Optim. OFF | Vertical Sync OFF (HAGS ON)
    Low Latency ON| Threaded Optim. ON | Vertical Sync FAST (HAGS OFF)

• NVidia CPL: this one seems overall better in the end
    Low Latency ON| Threaded Optim. ON | Vertical Sync FAST (HAGS ON + Game Mode OFF)

• NVidia CPL: with 466.11 I might have slightly better perf with:
    VR Pre-Rendered Frames 4 (instead of 1)

• Extra: I don’t see much perf diff with Texture Filtering Quality vs High Performance
    I’m therefore using Quality

• SteamVR 1.17.6 beta (latest) is crashing a lot more often and has a hard time when using too large rendering resolution compared to 1.16.10 (release).
    I’m reverting to SteamVR 1.16.10 for now.

The most dramatic performance hit with my test system on a 2070S + 9900K is buildings and Photogrammetry. This seems consistent with my reports since WU3 UK where I find the game over subscribing VRAM and causing CPU/GPU stalls. However thanks to SteamVR Fixed Rate motion smoothing which can go down as much as 6:1, I can actually raise a lot of settings compared to “My VR” topic and still maintain a good experience.

In short here are the settings I’m currently using:

SteamVR
Motion Smoothing enabled
SS 124, 90Hz + Fixed 18fps + 33.3ms

FS2020 .
TAA 100
Terrain LOD 100
Terrain Vector Data ULTRA
Buildings MEDIUM
Trees ULTRA
Grass and Bush MEDIUM
Object LOD 100
Clouds MEDIUM or HIGH
Texture Res. ULTRA
Aniso. 8x
Texture SS 4x4
Texture Synth. ULTRA
Water Waves HIGH
Shadow Maps 768
Terrain Shadows 256
Contact Shadows LOW
Windshield HIGH
Ambient Occlusion LOW
Reflections HIGH
Light Shafts HIGH
BLOOM OFF
Glass Cockpit Rate HIGH

NB: Bloom OFF otherwise it is also blurring integral lighting (illuminated button text)

NB: Clouds depends on the aircraft and the region. I can push HIGH in rural regions but MEDIUM is freeing some resources just to keep rendering perf at the limit.

NB: TAA100+SS124 is my goto setting suitable for any aircraft. If I’m using an analogue cockpit only like the DR400 I can use TAA70+SS200 or TAA80+SS150 with the 2070S and Motion Smoothing, but there are more wobbles sometimes.

8 Likes