My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Sorry, I arrived here from another post about the G2, didnā€™t realize this was about SteamVR, Iā€™m using the reverb G1, they only way I found at the moment is the NVIDIA control panel. Is there a better way of doing it for WMR devices ?

There is no way that I know of.

1 Like

Thank you. I have been so fricken dissatisfied with vr in MSFS 2020ā€¦ until I tried your settings I had a jerky stuttering messā€¦ WITH EVERYTHING AT MIN SETTINGS WTF? Just got done with first flight longer than 5 minutes in VR without wanting to hurlā€¦ then hurl my index.

Question. I cannot find the slider for steam VR SS. this is the only setting I havenā€™t been able to match and it seems critical for balancing the cockpit vs view outside. With advanced on it just shows an on off toggle for automagic sampling or something. Is this due to version diff? I am running most recent steam client, steam vr, msfs 2020 and nvidia drivers. Since result was smooth I havenā€™t looked at stepping versions down to completely match your guide yet.

Only problem I have is legibilityā€¦ guages are good but buttons and most text is no bueno less I get real close. But VFR flying is now VERY enjoyable. THANK YOU!!!

Running a 2070s, 32gb RAM, i5 9600k 60 render in msfs. ??? SS in steam vr with application specific render lowered to 78%.

The checkbox in the advanced settings is for texture supersampling. The sliders for supersampling are for resolution supersampling, as in setting the resolution higher than than the native display resolution.

Thank you for your kind words! Iā€™m glad this is helping!

As for Super Sampling, look at these screenshots from the OP:

In the first one, Resolution Per Eye is the global SteamVR SS setting which applies to all apps.
In the 2nd one, Custom Resolution Multiplier is the Game Specific SS value (in this case 78%)

NB: this topic is now getting old and Iā€™m still waiting for the next NVidia driver update and FS2020 update until revising it. In the meantime, with the Index, Iā€™d suggest you try out the following settings instead:

1 Like

HEAD SMACK was looking for a slider that said super sampling. Ok, so I had global to 100, app specific to 78 and game render to 60 with TAA. Explains the fuzzy text. Was reading SS suggestions in OP as a 4th setting, not as adjusting the app specific render slider. Was a long day yesterday. Thank you!

@Tmortn

My suggestions were to use TAA100 (in game) and SS78 (in SteamVR) for airliners (perf + legibility) or TAA60 + SS220 for GA analogue gauges (perf + outside details).

When using latest SteamVR motion smoothing, you can just now use TAA100 + SS124 and 5:1 motion smoothing (18fps ā†’ 90hz) and not only youā€™ll get nice EFIS or Analogue gauges visuals, with motion smoothing eliminating juddering, but thanks to running at 18fps, you can raise other visual settings like Iā€™ve listed above!

:+1: :+1:

Will try both. 18 does sound insane but hell I donā€™t know what I was getting last night , just know I could finally fly around VFR fully immersed for the first time. Flight sim is literally why I dumped money into my VR rig and I have constantly been disappointed. I could get ok frame rates with CS1 Rift in XP, but cockpits were awful. While I like the the flight dynamics in XP better, the photogrammetry terrain in 2020 is game changing. Couldnā€™t believe they launched without VR, then was so bummed when it did release and couldnā€™t get it to work and was beginning to think I would need to update my rig for a third time to be able to drive the index in this flight sim with good settings. Still think we are a gen or two away from diminishing returnsā€¦ but this is at last finally past my minimum needs so can be patient about the next step.

1 Like

Have you been able to try out this?

A quick update about SteamVR + Index + FS2020 1.15.7 (TL;DR: :face_vomiting:)

• Insane drop frames # as soon as you open any popup (i.e. ESC), to the point you can recover only in exiting VR mode, closing SteamVR, then re-entering VR mode

• Lower fps on PG areas (ex. Paris)

• Higher RAM usage

It also looks to me the OpenXR Frame Timestamp issue is back from the first FS2020 VR version(s). SteamVR did address this for quite some time, but both the latest SteamVR beta (1.17.x) and the latest SteamVR release (1.16.x) are showing the same problem with the latest FS2020 1.15.7.

In short, the OpenXR API expects a ā€œframe timeā€ which is based on the OS time, but since Windows is using a different epoch than all other OS, this needs to be adjusted. The visible effect of this problem before SteamVR corrected their OXR implementation is that the simulator was displaying frames as if youā€™d fast forward a movie (skipping frames). It was as if the simulator ā€œtickā€ was dependent on the OXR ā€œtimeā€?!?!

Weird indeed.

I have. been bouncing back and forth between 18 and 22 with various settings. Last night I tried 100|100 for game and SS settings with several options turned to ultra @22 and had a good experience (Alaska bush trip #1). Panels did not seem any fuzzier and environment look was improved. However, would not expect that in a denser environment and I had a couple of not so fun sessions and lockups getting there.

Howeverā€¦ the 100/128 and locked 18 with your settings is as you said, butter smooth. It is now my baseline to return to if my tinkering strays to far. What in the world are they doing? I know a true 18fps to the eye would not do this. Screen FPS has got to be significantly higher. I suspect it is cycling at 90 and somehow taking a shortcut on how to presentā€¦ maybe ā€œpredictā€ā€¦ motion through the rendered scene that dramatically lowers how often it has to fully render as you mention. Whatever it is doing I am glad for it.

Also of note for others exploring this topic. I got Xplane 11 going as well. Flight dynamics areā€¦ yeah I really wish I could get the flight model of Xplane with FS2020 graphics. That aside. I got smooth frame rates but I think in the 40-60 range based on the increased experience of disorientation after a few minutes of flight. Stopping on the runway was especially strong. Reminded me of backing up in driving simulators (something that really impacts me personallyā€¦). Sensation is similar to stepping onto solid land after spending a few hours in a boat. Another possible factor is that due to that better flight model you get a bit more extraneous movement due to environment so a lot of micro (and not so micro) shifts that you are not directing via the controls. And movement you are not expecting is a massive cause of VR induced nausea, especially when it occurs in multiple axis.

Anyway The upshot is I spent HOURS in FS2020 this past weekend with ZERO nausea using CptLucky8ā€™s settings. I think 30ish minutes is the most I could spend in X-plane. I have had other experiences in VR that were compelling enough to keep me in for long sessions but always at a price. This was the first time I did so with zero ill effects in terms of my stomach and its desire to keep what it had down.

2 Likes

I also have this feeling when I stop the plane (or a car in sim racing) in VR, end even more with other than MSFS as I can reach my 90fps headset native like in Aerofly FS2 or Automobilista 2. For me I take it well as it mean my brain was tricked by VR and immersed. In other words: if it make me sick Iā€™m happy, I was IN. But I understand your point obviously.

2 Likes

Sad CptLucky8, really sadā€¦And I reached my VR smoothness flyplay (not sure this one exist) thank to all your good advice!

I canā€™t catch any difference on my configuration in VR with the new release from latest, I still have a smooth 45fps locked retropro ON, one stutter each 15 or more seconds only, or retropro OFF and nearly no stutters, and monitor version seems improved with latest releases of everything (drivers, sim, etc.) and PG like I discovered above New Paris.

In any case Asobo can improve as in VR I still see the same regression from the numbers I kept from end of February (more or less 10% more GPU usage on exact same scenario after WU3).

So many factors, so many layers, pfffiiuuuuuā€¦

1 Like

Agreed. That sums up my thoughts as well. Never been sure what causes it for me in driving sims. Just coming to a stop does not trigger itā€¦ even unplanned sudden ones caused by a ā€œmisplacedā€ barrier :slight_smile: but throw it in reverse and whoa nelly. Surprised at it triggering at just coming to a very slow predictable stop in X-plane.

Have had none of that in FS2020 once I got the settings sorted per above. Before these settings I think I managed maybe 5-10 minutes max in FS2020 VR subjected to a stop freeze animation mess that I only put up with because I have dreamed of being able to turn my head in a flight sim ever since I tried to land my first virtual plane (F-16 in the original Falcon). The terrain solution in FS2020 is just mind blowing. X plane 11 was good when it launched but the ability to visually identify where you are in 2020 is on a whole different level.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback! Iā€™m glad this is helping!

Iā€™m not done testing 1.15.7 yet. Iā€™m still running 457.30 for now (because latest is making P3D5 CTD) and maybe there was a bug in the latest SteamVR 1.17.x as well. However I must say trying the Robin DR400 near Saint-Malo was smooth and fine.

NB: I didnā€™t fly much elsewhere than Paris* yesterday mostly for trying out WU4, but my first attempt was at LFMN and the same problems where happening. In both case I was trying the helicopter though and this might be related. More tests ahead needed!

*PS: Iā€™m really wondering whatā€™s behind cutting the Paris PG area right in the middle of Boullogne-Billancourt. I imagine most Asobo devs are living in Bordeaux and might not be familiar with the area, but if they are reading, I believe it would have made sense to at least exploit the Seine, as a natural boundary to the PG limit?!?

1 Like

Further feedback from today with NVidia 466.11 and FS2020 1.15.8:

• NVidia CPL: none of these make any major diff either (I only tested these 2 combos):
    Low Latency OFF | Threaded Optim. OFF | Vertical Sync OFF (HAGS ON)
    Low Latency ON| Threaded Optim. ON | Vertical Sync FAST (HAGS OFF)

• NVidia CPL: this one seems overall better in the end
    Low Latency ON| Threaded Optim. ON | Vertical Sync FAST (HAGS ON + Game Mode OFF)

• NVidia CPL: with 466.11 I might have slightly better perf with:
    VR Pre-Rendered Frames 4 (instead of 1)

• Extra: I donā€™t see much perf diff with Texture Filtering Quality vs High Performance
    Iā€™m therefore using Quality

• SteamVR 1.17.6 beta (latest) is crashing a lot more often and has a hard time when using too large rendering resolution compared to 1.16.10 (release).
    Iā€™m reverting to SteamVR 1.16.10 for now.

The most dramatic performance hit with my test system on a 2070S + 9900K is buildings and Photogrammetry. This seems consistent with my reports since WU3 UK where I find the game over subscribing VRAM and causing CPU/GPU stalls. However thanks to SteamVR Fixed Rate motion smoothing which can go down as much as 6:1, I can actually raise a lot of settings compared to ā€œMy VRā€ topic and still maintain a good experience.

In short here are the settings Iā€™m currently using:

SteamVR
Motion Smoothing enabled
SS 124, 90Hz + Fixed 18fps + 33.3ms

FS2020 .
TAA 100
Terrain LOD 100
Terrain Vector Data ULTRA
Buildings MEDIUM
Trees ULTRA
Grass and Bush MEDIUM
Object LOD 100
Clouds MEDIUM or HIGH
Texture Res. ULTRA
Aniso. 8x
Texture SS 4x4
Texture Synth. ULTRA
Water Waves HIGH
Shadow Maps 768
Terrain Shadows 256
Contact Shadows LOW
Windshield HIGH
Ambient Occlusion LOW
Reflections HIGH
Light Shafts HIGH
BLOOM OFF
Glass Cockpit Rate HIGH

NB: Bloom OFF otherwise it is also blurring integral lighting (illuminated button text)

NB: Clouds depends on the aircraft and the region. I can push HIGH in rural regions but MEDIUM is freeing some resources just to keep rendering perf at the limit.

NB: TAA100+SS124 is my goto setting suitable for any aircraft. If Iā€™m using an analogue cockpit only like the DR400 I can use TAA70+SS200 or TAA80+SS150 with the 2070S and Motion Smoothing, but there are more wobbles sometimes.

8 Likes

If youā€™re using motion smoothing you might want to try to cap FPS to a specific divider +3. This will reduce the judder induced by the reprojection switching between repro states.

You might want to experiment with Nvidia CPL FPS cap but so far Iā€™ve got the best results by using Rivatuner Statistics Server. You can try to experiment with different fps capping methods. I use ā€œback edge syncā€ on MSFS.

Is this a general comment or a specific one to using the Valve Index with SteamVR v1.16+ which now includes a user setting to set motion smoothing up to 6:1 ratio with user adjustable frame prediction timings?

It was meant to be as a general comment. I have both CV1 and G2 and restricting FPS though RTSS gives me the smoothest experience. Most likely cause for extra smoothness is the way RTSS caps FPS compared for example to Nvidia control panel.

I imagined it might work the same with SteamVR but of course I canā€™t test it myself due to hardware.

This is a SteamVR and Index topicā€¦

Maybe someone with an Index will try it out and tell whether this is helping? In the meantime, you might want to share your findings in the topics which are specifically talking about the CV1 or the G2, it might help others!