My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

I have to say, similar settings with the 466.11 driver is a keeper, with one exception. HAGS OFF is much better for me. With it ON there is more stuttering and SteamVR crashed on me at KLAX, which part of my standard performance test flight. With HAGS OFF performance was still less than stellar there, but I was able to complete my flight. Everywhere else, nice and smooth.

I really wish we could get to the bottom of the inconsistencies between different peopleā€™s experiences with this sim, not to mention the inconsistent experience a single user can have from day to day. As I said above I use KLAX as a test because I know I get a crappy framerate and stutters there even under the best of conditions. But the other day I landed there and it was buttery smooth all the way to the parking spot. For the life of me I have no idea what was different that day. And what really sucks is knowing that it is possible to get that kind of performance, but not knowing how to make it happen on demand.

I just chalk it up to ā€œMicrosoftā€. I work as a software dev and have always used MS tools. Iā€™m probably the closest thing there is to a MS fanboy, lol. That said, we always half-joke about how MS seems to have perfected the art of writing non-deterministic algorithms. Their collaboration with Asobo certainly hasnā€™t changed much in that regard. :wink:

1 Like

Well, what can I say: yesterday was a good day, today was a stutter fest. I couldnā€™t find any particular resolution, except switching from USA East and USA West servers and switching from Clear Skies to Live Weather, and this was sometimes, after exiting VR mode for a few minutes, restoring perf for a few minutes, until the whole thing started to stuttering and refreshing at 1fpsā€¦ I believe it is time to shelf FS2020 until the next update :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Finally I found the best settings of my rig to fly MSFS2020 on VR. After months of trying with several combinations last two days my flights were smooth. The actual core settings are: Driver 466.11, game mode ON, HAGS absolutely OFF, ASW OFF, Scaling GPU ON, SS 1.3, render scaling on 90%.

1 Like

This has been my biggest issue with trying to establish good performance. Itā€™s so frustrating just how different it can be one day to the next.

I felt that angry emoji buddy. I am glad you experienced this as youā€™ve validated my own frustration but its bittersweet.

I too have had to take a break. Rather. Had no desire to play for a while. Donā€™t burn yourself out!

1 Like

I will say : one minute to the other. Yesterday I had a reproductive case (which is rare with MSFS) which probably donā€™t work anymore today.
First launch on my test scene and I have my 45fps locked ASW OFF and GPU usage at 73%. I hit escape, LOWER my Renderscale from 70 to 60, and then get back to sim. Now I still have my 45fps locked ASW OFF but my GPU usage raised to 88% stable (instead of lowering it).
I hit Escape and now, whatever I do on my settings, I donā€™t retrieve my first 73% gpu usage, only 88% or even more, until I lose my 45fps locked.
Only restarting the computer itself get me back at the first situation with my 73% GPU usage.

Awfulā€¦

3 Likes

Honestly this is good to know too. I prefer to just tweak settings and scream ā€œWhy does it keep getting worse?!ā€ as the skin on my face is slowly worn down from donning and removing my headset while my plane sits on the runway saying ā€œfly me, fly meā€.

Luckily my wife and I have started a new show on Netflix that we both enjoy so Iā€™m watching that instead. Iā€™ve even noticed new skin growing over my exposed skull. She is happy about that too :laughing: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :skull:

3 Likes

Well, add me to the list! 2 days ago I did 2 flights which were working good. Yesterday it was a stutter fest again even when disabling MP afterward. It took rebooting twice, changing SteamVR beta/non-beta/beta, and maybe some voodoo magic, before it behaved properly again. And knowing these bugs wonā€™t be solved at least until the next SU in a month or so? :grimacing:

1 Like

Yep. Weird to say this sentence if you think about it: ā€œat least MSFS performance inconsistency is 100% reproducibleā€ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@CodeLoran69 This makes me think about ā€œ100% des gagnants ont tentĆ© leur chanceā€

1 Like

So I had an odd experience yesterday. I had the stutters after the update and was bouncing in and out of SteamVR and getting sometimes smooth, sometimes stutters and couldnā€™t make heads or tails of it until one time I hit the windows key (to get my mouse able to get to SteamVR before I took my headset off and for some reason I didnā€™t immediate take it offā€¦ and low and behold. Things got smooth. Mouse focus back in MSFS, stutter, windows key to loose focus smooth. Apparently early smooth periods were when I put my headset on after messing with SteamVR but hadnā€™t gotten my mouse focus back in simulator yet. This was repeatable for about an hour of play. I would kick it out of focus until I needed to manipulate something by just hitting with windows key, then click it in focus and stutter through whatever I needed to do, then kick it out and back to smooth. So for me it seemed to be an interrupt fight with mouse input. Why in the hell that would have creeped in baffles me. Bout to try and again and see if I get the same results.

This is with i5 9600, 2070S, 32RAM. SS to 100/128 MS ON@18 with 33ms, Game render 100 and various other quality settings per desire. Latest patch and nvidia drivers as of today (466.11, and 1.15.8 patched I think)

1 Like

I have a G2 and have been following CptLucky8ā€™s other thread, but I have noticed the same behavior using the Steam OpenXR. The visible frame rate is maybe half to 1/4 of the reported FPS when the simulator is in focus in windows. Alt-tab to any other window and it immediately smooths out.

It is a shame since I feel like the Steam OpenXR gives better visuals and clarity vs the WMR native OpenXR implementation, but the native OpenXR seems to be more reliable in starting/stopping/resuming than Steam and doesnā€™t suffer from the same ā€œfocus stutteringā€ issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Although Iā€™ve tried dozens of different setting regimens, Iā€™m pretty sure I havenā€™t specifically dialed in the pairings you suggest above. So, two requests: could you provide a link to one of your posts where you explain how to do this? And, I have spent months trying to eliminate what I call glitches where the entire display freezes briefly, often, but not always including a black space at the edge of the display, and is frequently, bu not always, generated by a quick head turn. Is there any chance you would be willing to provide me direct help for which I would gladly reimburse you? These glitches so disrupt immersion and persist in spite of literally months of effort that I am approaching despair. Thanks.

@FinalllyFlying
At this stage, the best would be to at least wait for the 27th update which is announced to offering better performances overall.

In addition, Iā€™ve not updated this topic a lot during the last few months because of the many different SteamVR and FS2020 changes over a short period of time, let alone the NVidia drivers which are starting to be good again for VR for most people only since 471.11.

Once the 27th releases Iā€™ll revisit this topic with a lot of changes in perspective (donā€™t expect the topic update on the 27th though, but over time afterward).

4 Likes

Please donā€™t forget to revisit your G2 settings topic as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have been looking forward to the upcoming upgrade but had concluded it was very unlikely to solve my problem because I am convinced it has nothing to do with MSFS per se. In brief, when I look at my monitor (under my Quest 2) while moving my head around I see nothing on the monitor resembling the glitches. Further, on my rather ordinary system I can do 2D at Ultra, with Photogrammetry, in LA, without any problems. One other thing, yesterday sitting at a desert airport I discovered that just turning my head back and forth generated the glitches. All this has led me to conclude that the problem is somewhere in the connection to the headset or the headset itself. (Problem is pretty much the same on Air Link and Virtual Desktop.) it was all this that led me to directly ask you for help yesterday. Again, I very much appreciate your help.

5JUL Ryzen Master, Afterburner
UserBenchmarks: Game 104%, Desk 104%, Work 98%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 100.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 - 99.9%
SSD: Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB - 174.2%
SSD: Adata SU760 512GB - 114.6%
RAM: G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C16 2x8GB - 97.8%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B550 AORUS ELITE

Hi @CptLucky8, I know you are still experimenting with things post update, but I would love to hear your thoughts on some things regarding SU5 & the follow-up patch. My system is very close to yours, except that I have a 2080S.

Iā€™m one of the folks who sat back and wondered why so many people had issues in VR pre-SU5. Using many of your suggestions and other random tweaks I had a great balance of performance and excellent visuals. Things looked crisp, cockpit was very readable, and the sense of immersion was excellent in part due to the quality of reflections in the cockpit, etc.

Post SU5 my experience has been the opposite. There was perhaps a minor performance upgrade, but the visuals took a huge hit. And I am ignoring the LOD pop-in issues, which donā€™t bother me too much at 200. My real problem is just how blurry and washed out everything is. Not just the terribly aliased menus, but the entire sim. It also seems that the reflections in windows have been degraded to where they barely exist even on ultra.

The only way that I can come close to the image quality that I had before the update is to run at TAA 100% and SS 200+. This is somewhat playable, however a net performance decrease. I actually think it is slightly better with motion smoothing turned off, but still worse than pre-SU5.

Could you possibly give an update on your experiences with the Index post SU5, even if it is just some brief highlights? I am so shocked by the differences I see that I would love to know what your thoughts are. I read posts from others who seem to agree with me, but some who donā€™t seem to see the same downgrades. But I am especially interested in what you have to say given that you have a similar system to mine, AND you are our most trusted Good Captain, who has never lead us astray! :wink:

2 Likes

@JWales2895
Thank you for your kind words!

This is preliminary but here was Iā€™m using right now with the Index:

System:

Win10 HAGS OFF
NVidia 471.47 SD (Studio Driver)
SteamVR Beta 1.19.4

Settings:

FS2020 Settings (same in 2D and VR)
Setting Value
Render Scaling 100%
Anti-Aliasing TAA
Terrain LOD 200%
Terrain Vector Data OFF
Buildings High
Trees High
Grass And Bushes High
Objects LOD 200%
Volumetric Clouds High
Texture Resolution High
Anistrophic Filtering 16x
Texture Supersampling Off
Texture Synthesis HIGH
Water Waves HIGH
Shadow Maps 768
Terrain Shadows 512
Contact Shadows Off
Windshield Effects HIGH
Ambient Occlusion Off
Reflections HIGH
Light Shafts Off
Bloom ON
Depth of Field Off
Lens Correction Off
Lens Flare Off
Glass Cockpit Refresh Rate HIGH
SteamVR Settings
Setting Value
Refresh Rate 90Hz
Brightness 130
resolutionScale 152%
FOV 95%
Motion Smoothing ENABLED
Fixed Rate 18fps (15fps on ground with FBW 320 - higher with GA analogue)
Prediction 33ms

NB: 152% is a good tradeoff between legibility and computing power needed for motion smoothing on the 2070S. Anything above with motion smoothing requires a very light aircraft or a more powerful video card.

NVidia Settings

Tips:

more...
  • When on final, you can quickly change the FOV to 50% to get a very legible runway in the distance and crisp cockpit lettering/EFIS.
  • I use no more than 95% FOV even with nearly shorter eye relief settings, I still canā€™t view beyond on the sides.
  • With the FBW 320 and complex airport, you might have to reduce to 15fps but onces airborne you can restore 18fps.
  • If the aircraft/airport is really too heavy, you can quickly disable motion smoothing and set a fixed rate of 30fps
  • If your hardware permits, you can try SteamVR 300% and this gives you the same legibility as SS152%+FOV50%.
  • The only SS settings worth the legibility differences to me are 126%, 152%, 220%, 300%
6 Likes

Your settings are nearly identical to mine. With my 2070 super. Difference is Iā€™ve got my texture supersampling up to 4 by 4 cuz otherwise I canā€™t get rid of that blurry Center Line down the runway.