My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢

To be honest I am not sure even those cards will help! It is a different headset but I have been experimenting a bit now with additional Steam SS on Quest2, using my 3090. Starting with my standard 5408*2736 native resolution and 100 render scale, I see very little benefit from additional Steam super sampling, and certainly nowhere near enough to warrant the noticeable performance reduction. For my setup at least, my guess is any further legibility improvements on cockpit buttons or EFIS will need to come from fixes and improvements to the sharpening filter and TAA interaction (or even just removal of the sharpening filter at high res !? ) rather than additional super sampling on top.

1 Like

I’ve updated my comments in my post above:

Light shafts, ambient occlusion have similar impacts on the G2 as well.

Great work, thanks.

1 Like

As ever Captain, huge gratitude from me for your input on this effort to try to find the right balance for VR settings. I have an Index & 3080ti and a couple of questions if possible - sorry if you have already answered elsewhere, I looked but couldn’t find anything.

• Re SS numbers eg 152%. Is this the “total” SS value ie global SS value multiplied by the game specific setting? In my global SteamVR settings (and I presume everybody else’s) there is a detent at 150%, so to acheive 152% I would just add 1-2% from the game-specific setting?

• You mention 15-18fps with Motion Smooting but a whopping 30-45fps without. When disabling motion smoothing, I get nowhere near this gain in fps, in fact the GPU and CPU frame time seem much the same. I would probably prefer 30fps without Motion Smoothing as the slight wobbling of MS for me is worse than the slight juddering without MS. I’m wondering what others experience and if there is some setting that might help me there?

Many thanks :+1:

1 Like

@Jonny5Alive6618
Thank you for you feedback and kind words!

@D4EF1n4tOR
I believe this would work then. My approach with SS, since I’m using the Index but also the G2 (well I haven’t for a long time but I used to, and will to at least to experiment and publish suggested settings), is. to have the global scaling fixed 100% (about 2.2 x 2.4 pixels IIRC) so that it is the “nominal” for each headset, and then adjust per-game depending. What matters in the end is the number render pixels.

As for motion smoothing, when I disable it, I however keep Fixed Rate setting (never auto) and set it to 30 or 45. I seem to get these 30 or 45 from my visual experience, but I didn’t launch any counter to counter-verify either. It seemed really 30 on the ground for sure, and 45 in the air higher up as well.

1 Like

Just a quick note: I’ve tried HAGS ON and Game Mode ON and here are my observations:

• This doesn’t seem to make much differences to me with motion smoothing on (anyhow I believe HAGS will be much more beneficial with DX12, along with threaded optimizations on)

• However I might get a little bit better perf with motion smoothing off. It didn’t feel like struggling as much with fixed rate 45 but what I’m reporting here is only perceptual, not measured.

• I get more fluid and faster asset streaming with HAGS OFF though (in other words it takes less time to refresh the sides when turning the head quickly)

• I won’t try HAGS ON + Game Mode OFF (enough combos to test)

• I’ll probably revert back to HAGS OFF and Game Mode OFF like I’ve suggested first, because it seems to me more consistent whether I use motion smoothing or not.

• all the above could also be a lot of placebo, again, this is only a perceptual report!

Second that motion.

Having tested all variations of these I have come to the exact same conclusion.

Also purely perception but still.

1 Like

Thanks, I have never found significant difference with HAGS so just left it on (3090). However maybe it is time for me to revisit - anything to reduce that pop in !

1 Like

On another subject than configuration, I’ve finally decided to publish my mod for the taxi helpers:

This mod makes the Taxi Ribbon assistance less invasive in VR and more convenient in 3D

This mod replaces the set of Taxi Helpers UI so that you can keep the Taxi Ribbon assistance always enabled. It consists in modifications making them unobtrusive and naturally blending with the ground.

Smaller taxi ribbon arrows coloured green:

Blending naturally with the taxi lines and displaying only a few meters away from the aircraft.

Tweaked blue/green parking box helpers:

Displaying almost like ground painted lines as if they are normal features of the airport.

PS: the screenshots are crops from quick VR captures, I’ll update them with much better ones later!

2 Likes

Very nice idea - the taxi assist is the one guide that I leave on but it is indeed very obtrusive. I look forward to trying this, thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words! I’ve update the Small Taxi Helpers earlier today with a “slightly whiter” White/None, and and a new Blue/None parking aid!

After spending quite some time evaluating HAGS ON/OFF and Game Mode ON/OFF (see a few posts above), I’ve further been evaluating the impact of a few NVidia CPL settings and on my test system I’m now confident about my NVidia CPL settings detailed in the post linked in the quote above:

1. Motion Smoothing works better with Threaded Optimizations OFF.
  2. From now on I’ll use Maximum Performance.

NB: I can’t really differentiate any particular difference between Optimum Pow. and Maximum Perf.
The latter may be less performant in practice (hitting temp and/or power caps) so I’d tend to lean toward Optimum Pow in general, but I’m yet to hit any protection with Max. Perf. in practice.

I’ve been a “Motion Smoothing” naysayer since I first started flying in VR back in December 2020. I would get bad “wobblys” and distortions when moving my head inside the cockpit. It was always a non-starter for me.

This morning, while reading the new posts on @CptLucky8 ‘s G2 thread, I thought maybe I’ll try reducing my SS in SteamVR to further reduce the GPU overhead and see if that works better. Lately I’d pretty much settled on 100/100 for RS and SS, and was ok with the results.

I’ve tried every known combination between SS / In Game RS / FOV trying to get the best compromise between glass screen readability and smoothness (especially when maneuvering the plane and looking at the terrain). I fly the TBM 930 (IFR) and the Piper Arrow III (just flight) (VFR) exclusively.

When setting my SS to 90 and the RS to 110 and enabling Motion Smoothing in SteamVR, I was pleasantly surprised by the very smooth experience. No wobbling or distortions (very very minor distortion near the prop animation only). Screens in the TBM (the MDF has some painfully small text) was acceptable… as good as 100/100 I’m sure… and the smoothness was as good as I’ve experienced. I was able to keep my FPS pretty much maxed out at my locked 30.

Of course this was a short test before heading off to work, but I am very encouraged to continue down the “Motion Smoothing” road with a reduced SS and slightly raised RS.

System:
AMD 3600X
2070S
32GB 3200 ram
NVMe install disk
(I have absolutely nothing running in the background with no OC. HAGGS and Game Mode are OFF…and perform a clean reboot before every FS session)

SteamVR settings:
120 MHZ
Motion smoothing: ON
SS: 90
FPS locked at 30
Prediction: 25ms
FOV: 90

Flight Sim settings:
Render scale: 110
AA: TAA
Terrain LOD: 100
Terrain Vector Data: Medium (what does this even do? I don’t see any changes)
Buildings: Medium
Trees: Medium
Grass and Bushes: Medium
Object LOD: 100
Volumetric Clouds: High
Texture Res: Ultra
Aniso Filter: 16X
Texture SS: 8X8
Texture Synth: High
Water Waves: High
Shadow maps: 1024
Terrain Shadows: 512
Contact Shadows: Medium
Windshield Effects: High
AO: off
Reflections: Off
Light shafts: off
Bloom: on (can’t live without that bloom off my wing tip at sunrise)
Glass cockpit refresh: High

2 Likes

Indeed, what does it do… :wink:

Could you please explain what some graphics settings are really doing? - Community / Dev Q&A: Ask Questions Here! - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

You might want to read this:
Propellers and reprojection - Bugs & Issues / Virtual Reality (VR) - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thank you for your feedback, I’ll have to try this.

I was not willing to reduce the buildings and trees since SU5, because their quality falloff is way shorter than before though. As for bloom I like it in general but I can’t help noticing with their TAAU implementation, and probably a few bugs with the Shaders I’ve documented (viewdir), I get more clarity on ground textures when I disable Bloom and the Sun is low. At night, I find it is also blurring a little bit the integral lighting sometimes further reducing legibility.

Thank you for sharing and updating CptLucky8, much appreatiated. I have studied the guide and follow up descussion and it has actually helped me to tweak my settings and achive a much better VR experience with my index and RTX 3070.

The most helpful for me was the suggestion to set SS 152 / TAA 100 and use motion smoothing with fixed framerate to 18 fps. First i was sceptical about 18 fps, but it really turned out to be quite fluid. No any stutters or jitters, very smooth. At same time SS 152 makes the whole image much much sharper then my previous setting 100/100. Very nice thank you. Looking forward for updates to your guide.

just one thing. Wouldn’t it be better to increase the maximum amount of CPU prerendered frames from 1 to 2 or 3 in nvidia settings when using fixed framerate and additional waiting time of 33ms? Im still seing artifacts though im well capable to maintain 18 fps with my settings. I am suspecting that the CPU is being hold off prerendering follow up frames because its not allowed to do so by nvidia settings. Im gonna try this later today.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words!

This one is not easy. In theory I believe you’d be right about it but in practice… :slight_smile:

There has been some reports in the past of people managing to get better results with 2, or 4, sometimes 3, but to be honest, anything but 1 has been worse for me, regardless of the driver version. My take on this is the OpenXR API and the way Asobo is using it (they don’t have much different choices though). I believe the OXR layer in the driver doesn’t take advantage of this and limiting to 1 helps in practice getting a good CPU/GPU sync , even if this means you might have had the possibility to pre-render more frames otherwise.

If you CPU has ample room, this means you can certainly raise settings affecting the CPU more, like the traffic, the buildings (ULTRA), and this sort of things. If your VRAM has ample room, you can also probably raise Terrain LOD to 200 for example. Eventually, you might find it is better using 4:1 motion smoothing at 22.5fps

Otherwise you might also consider 120Hz/20fps (5:1) with your hardware and maybe you’ll find it better. It seems to me 90Hz is what FS2020 and/or OXR is most “tuned” for though.

Yes, i have actually switched to 80Hz/20fps (4:1) its even a little better i find. However i keep observing artifacts (wobbling propeller and distortion from lights) even when CPU and GPU is not pushing limits. From my understanding it should not happen when you fix framerate below what you can achive without fixing it. With 100/100 it can go up to 50 and never below 33. With SS 152 its around 22 - 27 fps without throttling.

For the propellers see a few post above!