My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Can confirm Iā€™m using 457.30 with no issues this far. These are also compatible with xp11 vulkan if anyoneā€™s still using that too. The earlier ones are not.

Iā€™ve got a rift s and I have been running 120% in the SIM no change in Oculus and using the locking to 27fps for some smooth results.

Should set a 2.2 in Oculus and 60% in the SIM?

1 Like

Thank you for this. Did some tests while Main Thread limited, and am getting ~10-12% gain in FPS with SMT off on a 5900x.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tested ht on and off on the I9-9900K and saw no noticeable increase in performance.

1 Like

Perhaps with the AMD 5000 chips itā€™s due to the L3 cache usage, by disabling SMT the windows thread scheduler would distribute the threads between both CCDā€™s more evenly rather than loading the preferred one too much. So while taking a performance hit from infinity fabric latency we receive a larger gain from increased cache available per core.

On intel if there is a way to completely disable onboard cpu graphics Iā€™d try that as it will use some resources/thermals even with a discrete gpu.

1 Like

With SteamVR what kind of monitoring timings should I be looking for , with my G2 2070S 3950x ryzen i`m currently at around 19-20 of 11.1ms (90hz)

It runs ok but do notice a little jitter when at lower altitudes and when looking around the cockpit.

Hey, @CptLucky8, I know the topic is about the Index and G2, but Iā€™ve been playing around with your suggested settings for my Quest 2 and I am glad to tell that they also improved my experience. My PC is a Ryzen 5 3600 with a RTX 3080 and, so far, this is what I found out:

• When I use Oculus OpenXR runtime, it looks like applying supersampling using either Oculus device options or Oculus Debug Tool affects Performance with no visual improvement whatsoever. Only the rendering resolution slider inside MFS makes a difference, but at a high performance cost.
  • When I use SteamVR OpenXR runtime things work pretty much as you describe, and selecting SS220 and TAA60 is also a sweet spot for my personal preferences. I have nice scenery with readable gauges (although the instruments lag way behind x-plane 11 in crispness or readability). I also disabled any reprojection by defining specific video settings for MFS within SteamVR. It is worth nothing that, for the Quest 2, 220% means about 2700x2700 per eye, so slightly less than yours, but still good. Good enough to enjoy the landscape and read the PAPI lights at a reasonable distance, actually.
  • Since I have some performance headroom I could crank up the res a little bit but I find it more pleasant to improve other settings, such as reflections, clouds, light shafts and, depending where I fly, even ambient occlusion. For the kind of flight I usually enjoy, such as panoramic flights at about 1500ft ASL or short trips over the mountains, these make a bigger difference than resolution for me.
  • For a perfect experience I would like to be able to adjust pincushion within SteamVR, as it is not good for the Quest 2 and introduces noticeable distortion. I donā€™t know if this is possible, though. My VR knowledge is limited.

So thatā€™s it. Good Job. Thanks for your research, and keep flying!

1 Like

I have quest 2 also what are your settings in openxr?

Itā€™s set to use SteamVR OpenXR routine, so no messing around with settings other than that

@PithyWings02 Thank you for your kind words! Iā€™ll add a link to your post in the OP so the others looking for Oculus advices can have a clear explanation of what to expect!

As for the pincushion you might want to try out this with SteamVR:

Iā€™ve tried it and I didnā€™t find any particular ā€œangularā€ perception difference nor any fps gain in itself, it is however clipping some geometry at the outer edge as expected (mostly the right eye right edge, not the left eye left edge with my Index)

1 Like

Congrats for your great work you are helping a lot of people here!!! One thing i cannot understand is with my quest do I have to change the resolution in oculus software and change also the render in openxr? Or leave the resolution as it is in oculus and mess with openxr?

1 Like

@Nickba78 Iā€™m not sure about what youā€™re looking for, however my approach is to exploit the FS2020 CAS Shader so as to maximize perceived resolution in the headset while lowering the computation cost. This approach is specific to each headset because it depends on the actual headset resolution. With the G2 high resolution panels I can shift the balance using lower render resolution. With the Index average resolution panels I can shift the balance with higher SS.

Many Oculus users are starting from my recommendations and from there, they are slightly adjusting the balance between game render resolution and driver scaling resolution so as to get good results for their headsets.

What did you have the render resolution and hz set to in the oculus app? Iā€™ve also been testing SteamVR Runtime and OpenVR and noticed better performance with SteamVR runtime.

@Sysrek2167 My resolution is set to 80hz and render x1. 0 do you change the value in openxr dev tool also? Do you have something better to suggest?

Thanks Capt. I tried all your settings with my Index (rtx 3080, I9 10850 k, 32 Gb ram, and had smooth flight, except if I turned my head quicklyā€¦note. This was over a woodsy area with no buildings or PG images, so it was pretty easy on rendering. Iā€™ll try later on a dense urban area and Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t be as good. Maybe the compromise for now is to fly in VR only in rural or natural locales and use my 4K monitor for cities.
Also, I am having an issue where after I go out of VR, I have to reboot pc or my frame rate drops to >10 FPS in non -VR flying.

D

I have a similar system to yours and an Index, but couldnā€™t get VR running anything resembling smooth no matter what.
I tried everything in this thread, but nothing cured it. Iā€™d pretty much given up, but figured Iā€™d try this as a last shot. Thereā€™s a definite downgrade in the overall picture quality at the same settings, like the super sampling isnā€™t quite as good, but itā€™s running much, much smoother now.
Iā€™m more than happy to fly with it looking and performing like this, so thank you. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll improve with updates, but over the moon I can finally get stuck in to this sim. Itā€™s hard to fly flat when youā€™ve tried VR.

2 Likes

@Nik73 Thank you for your kind words! I donā€™t find it is degrading the visuals but SteamVR linux_1.14 is definitely reducing stutters a lot on my test system and I thank you for confirming it is working for others as well!

@FLYINGkeys65 let us know how it goes over PG cities! Have you tried the SteamVR linux_1.14 too?

Sorry, I was actually asking @PithyWings02

@CptLucky8 First off, a hearty thank you for all of your work here and in your other threads! Thanks to you I am enjoying a solid 30 fps on my old school Vive using TAA 60% and Steam SS 178% on a system very similar to yours, but with a 2080 super. Iā€™ve even been able to up some of the eye candy higher than your settings.

What Iā€™d like to ask you isnā€™t technical, more of your qualitative opinion. What are your thoughts of the Reverb G2 vs. the Index? Iā€™m on the verge of upgrading, but I havenā€™t decided which to get yet. Either of these would certainly be a step up for me from the Vive, but how do they compare to each other for MSFS?

I think my top priorities are elimination of the SDE, and making sure that the FOV is at least as good as the Vive, preferably better.

1 Like

@JWales2895 thank you for your kind words!

To me it is a no brainer: anything simulation needs the highest pixel density for gauge/EFIS legibility and today there is only the G2 (and maybe in April de Decagear with same panel resolution).

If youā€™re mostly flying GA analogue though, I believe the Index is vastly superior for a few reasons: wider FOV and ultra precise headset tracking (much better than the G2 which is making you feel youā€™re head is attached with dampeners when your fps are low). The Index also provides eye relief which allows better adjustment to your vision / glasses if any.

In terms of build quality there is no question: the Index is a rock solid piece of hardware you can feel confident using, stretching (when removing it) with lots of low level control via SteamVR. On the other hand, the G2 makes creaking noises when putting it on/off, even when just adjusting it. The head strap plastic is nearly 1/4 the thickness of the Index plastic, etcā€¦

Having both is great because you can use the G2 for simulators, the Index for intense gameplay, and in both cases use the Knuckles controllers. Some donā€™t like it but to me these are the best controllers on the market today. You hand fits naturally, your gestures fit naturally as well, and when playing HLA these is no alternative. In addition, the controller tracking is just excellent. As a matter of fact, both head and controller tracking is so precise you can perceive the small changes of positions due to your blood pressure and heart beats!

Besides Iā€™m not too attracted to the Pimax because of the alleged build quality and support issues (no need to fill this discussion with ā€œPimax is greatā€, I know it is for many aspects, but there is so much you can do when you already have 2 headsets that for now I donā€™t really have room for 3).

The ideal consumer headset to me would just be the Index with the G2 panels. Otherwise there is the Varjoā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Iā€™m leaning toward the Index, and I think what youā€™ve said here supports that. I am mainly a GA guy at this point, and FOV & tracking are big deals to me.

Would you say the Index pixel density is enough to conquer the SDE, and would be usable for glass cockpits? Iā€™m ok with using the zoom feature if necessary.