My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Iā€™m using a Quest 2 and SteamVR beta 1.16.1, but I canā€™t find the Throttling Behaviour optionā€¦ is it only for Vive and Indexes?

I believe if you read the release notes youā€™ll get your answer:
These settings are only available to headsets which use SteamVRā€™s compositor (e.g. Index, Vive).

O/T but HOW do you download the SteamVR 1.16 update? What am I missing here?

Well, Iā€™m donā€™t know what the SteamVR Compositor is. Is it the runtime?

I dont know what that means

I think you need to find 'SteamVR ā€™ in your list of apps, then right click and select propeties. In there is a section called ā€˜Betaā€™ . Click the dropdown and you can see a list of Beta, just selct the top one which is called steam beta or something similar and that will put you on the beta channel and should get you that version.

Searching on the internet? like this:
https://www.qwant.com/?q=steamvr%20beta%20how%20to%20

Idem:
https://www.qwant.com/?q=what%20is%20SteamVR%20Compositor

Just added to the OP:

1 Like

Hi,
I was having trouble downloading 1.16.1 as well,
This link helped. You have to be enrolled in Beta Participation
:Steam Client Beta - How To's - Knowledge Base - Steam Support

1 Like

I enrolled but still se nothing regarding BETA. The info on the web is 4 years old, asking me to go to TOOLS in the menu. I canā€™t see it.

Maybe you should wait until this is officially released then.

1 Like

I think after watching that, I was never told to restart Steam. I un-enrolled and am now re-enrolling to see if it works.

How can you change the throttling settings without adding FS2020 as an entry? I only seem to see throttling as a ā€œper applicationā€ setting option. Is there are way to change it globally? I canā€™t use the ā€œper applicationā€ settings since I canā€™t add a FS2020 entry to the application list (due to it being from the Win store).
edit got it, I can access the settings for it as I run FS2020

already answered in this discussion:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) - (Post # 57)

Great, thanks!

Anyone tested this with a G2 who can ascertain whether this makes steamVR overtake WMR in performance? Since WMR was supposed to be slightly better before

I find the latest SteamVR now able to compete generally, but WMR motion smoothing is still superior with less artifacts. Furthermore, I can render more pixels with motion smoothing with the G2 and display them sharply, whereas for a sharpen decent enough image with the Index, I canā€™t render as much pixels as with the G2 (need at least 150 to 200 TAA render scale).

2 Likes

Just a diversion from VR:

[OFFICIAL] Jan. 21st Dev Update Screenshot Challenge

I did a bunch of testing last night on my 3070 with the new beta release. Itā€™s certainly a lot better then before and Iā€™m some respects performs better then the Linux 1.14 driver as I can now run TAA at 100% with all other settings on High and object and terrain detail set to 80.

I set the FPS to 28.8 as this seemed to be the sweet spot , but one odd thing was the HMD has to be set to 144 otherwise the FPS tanks.

If I turn motion smoothing on the whole experience is terrible with even the steam menu having all kinds of crazy trail effects when you move your head.

Ok thing I did find is that if I changed any settings in game the FPS would drop terribly regardless of the change but if I made the change, come out of the game and go back in then it was fine.

It does seem the drivers that are compatible with the 3000 series cards are not as good as the ones people can use with the 2000 series but itā€™s great to see how much improvements are being made.

1 Like

@TechedJaguar870 You might want to adjust the 2nd setting in ms.

What Iā€™ve found is that once you set the balance in adjusting the locked frame rate value, you can mitigate the wobbles in adjusting the additional reproj. time in ms and usually 50ms was working quite fine for me (testing in rotating the head left right quickly while moving on the ground). It didnā€™t eliminate it all but changed the experience from wobbling a lot to wobbling on the edges of center posts.