My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Thanks so much il give that a go.
Iā€™m having to do two kinds of testing, I prefer low level flying in small aircraft but my grandad prefers airliners, particularly the landing challenges. We have identical computers so I do a bunch of testing on mine, then remote onto his computer and do the same settings there. He absolutely loves the clarity of running at 100 TAA so thanks for all your help so far.

I recently set up the mod that lets you share the same aircraft and take turns in controlling, so combined that with Discord running though the headset it was amazing, he was able to sit in the same Cessna as my young daughter and teach her how to fly. This is such an incredible piece of technology, itā€™s a shame the covid lockdown is stopping more people being able to have a go.

2 Likes

The new steamVR beta has made a huge difference for me - I went from unplayable with my GTX 1080 to smooth (with lower settings than most here) when throttling to 22.5 frames (will try 30 too). The one thing that I havenā€™t played with is the additional retroproj. time - I donā€™t understand yet what it does but Iā€™ll sure experiment with 50ms to see what it changes (although as far as Iā€™m concerned I didnā€™t have many issues with motion smoothing now - it used to be awful before but not anymore, and I use a prop mod to reduce these issues further).

This should allow me to experiment a bit with MSFS until my 3080 arrives (how knows whenā€¦ I ordered on day 1 but still no luck) and then I think things will finally be competitive with my XP11 experience

1 Like

hello,

Pls send the link From the Prop Mod.
Thx

pls send the link From the Prop Mod

Itā€™s here, and itā€™s per aircraft (not a general mod for all props):

Vielen Dank

Im having a hard time figuring out this new BETA. When I am in VR and set the fixed throttling, adjust to 30 or 40 FPS, then adjust the retro proj. timing, the frames fall to the floor and I get reprojections % of nearly 100 plus all sorts of artifacts and wobbling. Do I need to adjust my settings as I think they will work, exit VR, exit FS, restart everything for it to work? I was using the Linux BETA and all was well, though I had to keep settings minimal. I also noticed that when I adjust, it does not save the settings. When I come back into Steam VR settings, they are set back to auto. This whole thing is a bit new to me but it makes me want to go back to Linux BETA

5900x on 3090 on Vavle Index

Hi @ISantus ,
I donā€™t know if itā€™s an issue with the 3000 series cards but when I used the motion smoothing and/or the second slider in the steam vr settings the wobbles were horrendous.

Also what is weird is the only combination of frames trottleing and refresh rate that was really satisfactory was setting frames to 28.8 and refresh rate to 144 hertz and turn off morion smoothing. That is proving to be a fantastic experience compared to what I had before.
One this I did find though is if I made any settings changes I have to complete close MSFS and steam VR and reload otherwise it would drop down to 1-2fps, sometimes it would even say 0.

I need to do more testing to see if there is any way I can get motion smoothing working but I think we just need to wait for Nvida to release their new drivers which should help the issue.

Iā€™m finding the new beta is giving much better colours and texture then the Linux driver as Iā€™m able to run all the image settings much higher. Everything is on high or ultra now and TAA at 100% with the detail sliders on 85, whereas with the Linux driver most things were on medium and sliders on 70 with TAA set to 70-80

1 Like

Fantastic and thanks for the pointers. Are you leaving the second slider at 0? Also, when you say make any changes, are you saying any changes in Steam VR? If I get Steam VR set up as you have indicated, exit the entire system and start over, then change any settings in FS2020 graphics tab, do I need to restart again?

Quick update: EPIC

Ran 144hz with 28.8 fixed throttling. Pretty much all graphics settings on Ultra. Buttery smooth. A few skips here and there (probably around 15 between Dublin and London). 100 TAA, 100 SS, 85 on object and terrain detail without motion smoothing on a 5900x and 3090 with 32gb at 3600C14. I am in love again. Next step, with hopefully further improvements, is to get SS to 150%. It still feels a little blurry to me but overall so many more details in the clouds, the landscape, and the buildings. I am in the 8th flight of a 60 flight trip around the world in the Cesna Longitude. Thanks for the tips everyone!

2 Likes

That is correct, second slider at 0. That it caused me some weird stuttering and wobbling effects.

I was closing down the whole of flight sim and steam vr. I did only discover this after I was about an hour into my testing so I need to re do some of the tests again, as there may be some more tweaking I can do to improve.

Awesome, glad yours is working great now.

One thing I did notice Is you said youā€™re steam SS is not currently at 150%?

According to FPSVR mine is running at 150%. Iā€™m still not totally clear on how that works or where you set it, Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the render scale in steam VR in the per application video settings? Mine is set to 100% there so I think from what the OP said this maks SS 150%?

@ISantus - regarding restarting for changes to take effect - not sure how it is for everyone else but for me on the Index I can make changes to SteamVR settings by exiting MSFS VR mode (Ctrl Tab for me) first then re-entering VR by Ctrl Tab to see the effect of the changes. So no need to exit MSFS - saves a lot of timeā€¦

If I try to make to make the changes while VR mode is still active the frame rates drop through the floor, requiring a restart of MSFS.

Any changes I make on the MSFS VR Graphics tab can be done while still in VR mode it seems.

1 Like

This is helpful. Perhaps I was getting inpatient as I was in and out of VR quickly and it didnā€™t seem to work and the FPS tanked. Tonightā€™s testing will be to get terrain and object detail to 100 and SS to 150%. Not sure if my computer will meltā€¦

May I ask for help? I installed the latest SteamVR beta 1.16.1 (at least it says it is) but my pre-program subscreen doesnā€™t look like the one in this screenshot but rather as follow:

As you see Throttling as well FPS locking are missing. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks a lot.

Thatā€™s very odd, I wonder if itā€™s worth uninstalling SteamVR all together and reinstalling. When I first had my index the steamvr client did something strange after an update and I had to remove and reload to fix it.

Have been trying to optimize my VR setup. Thought this might help others.
I tried most if not all the tweaks mentioned here and elsewhere on YouTube. Not much luck. Stutter remained, low FPS etc. Will not mention all the teaks and bore everyone with the same thing.

So, I decided to add a new user on my Win 10 desktop called MSFS and keep it clean as far as additional software that I use on my Main user identityā€¦
Had to of course install Xbox (same user name on Xbox as in Main identity on Wn10) for MSFS user name and reinstall the game but choosing the same folder as the other (main) user, negated the need to downloading the whole game once again It recognized all the settings and installs.
After that I applied all the suggestions here including the real time traffic. I had renamed my older Community folder to Com_Old (no need to move the folder to another directory or drive, just rename it and MSFS wonā€™t use itā€¦ (I use Nvme 1 TB drive so the least read/write cycle the better).

Once that was done, I did not include any add on scenery to my new Community folder which was blank but moved all the airline liveries here (which BTW are working flawlessly and I see all appropriate airline liveries in real time traffic). (the aircraft may not be the same as they all are A320Ns. But still better than the pastel colored toy planes.

My set up is:
i7-9700 - Win 10 Home
32GB RAM
1TB NvMe drive
nVidia RTX 2070 Super (8 GB VRAM) 457.30 Driver version
HP Reverb G2
Airbus edition thrustmaster joystick

With this I get a very smooth VR play with no stutter or black screen. I will later post al my Graphics settings but basically they are medium to low.

Using OpenXR (I have store bought MSFS 2020 and not Steam)
Render Scale:
Open VR setting 60
In game 100.

I like to fly the Pipistrel which has a great interface. I can see the gauges, Garmin quite sharp and the outside scenery is like it is in real life with very far away scenery a bit blurry. Scenery around large and medium airports remains the same. Large metro areas a bit less FPS but still flyable.

Overall a very smooth and exciting flight experience. I strongly believe that the New User addition in Win 10 made a huge difference buy keeping the runtimes clean.

1 Like

You can see this only if your read German? Danish?

It is possible especially if youā€™re used to installing a lot of things.

My test system is very lean just servicing the need of flight simulation and SteamVR games. I do all my business computing on macOs instead and all dev in virtual machines (I used to have dedicated machines for isolation mostly but it is now more convenient with VM). :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

German. Is there any way to switch language?