My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

SteamVR should use the language setting in Steamā€™s settings:

If you donā€™t have the Throttling Behavior option in SteamVR, then itā€™s likely because you are using a headset that does not support it. Which headset are you using?

2 Likes

Thanks. Found the language switch and did it. No change.

Uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR. No change either.

I use a Reverb 1 - maybe youā€™re right and the missing options are just not supported by it?

already answered above:
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢ - #390 by CptLucky8

1 Like

Latest on Nvidia drivers VR stuttering fix:

2 Likes

The Nvidia hotfix driver to fix VR stuttering is out

Quote " [Steam VR game]: Stuttering and lagging occur upon launching a game (Without using any Hardware monitoring tool). [3152190] "

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5152

Lets get testing simmers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Donā€™t do it. Iā€™ve upgraded and got some horrible shimmery flashing which is horrible!

1 Like

Thought I saw new Steam client up yesterday
Anyone see that or try it?

Confirmed. I noticed it while recording videos in OBS - if mouse pointer is ā€œin the cockpitā€, it stutters, if itā€™s in some other windows, itā€™s smooth.

461.33 still causing major stutters and lags with SteamVR for me, the difference between this and 457 is night and day so Iā€™m staying put with the latter for now.

2 Likes

Steam client now to 1.16.3
1.16.1 worked best for me so far, but although I can roll back to Linux 1.14 itā€™s not letting me roll back to 1.16.1 . Is it possible.
Iā€™m on Valve index using nvidia 3080 with 457.30

I9 10850k
32 GB ram
1 tb firecuda ssd
Thanks

So helpful. Thanks for putting this together.

1 Like

yes same here to steam latest beta has broken steam vr motion smoothing
i was so happy using CptLucky8 recommendations and finally got a superb vr Flight experience
then valve go do an update
and break it again (should give option to roll back drivers )

Intel i9 10850 k
nvidia egva RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
32 gig ram
1x 1TB samsung evo plus

im going to buy a Hp reverb G2 and sell this valve index :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hum, I think youā€™d be trading a headache for another one :slight_smile:

Iā€™d check ISantus post above regarding running it at 144hz w. 28.8 fixed. I use to run with motion smoothing but after trying their settings I was sold. Also running similar specs so Iā€™d try that before giving up on the Index.

Hi Captain,

Any update on why TAA at 100 performs better for you than at 80?

Also were you able to figure out why and how VR can be optimized as it relates to this issue?

Iā€™m not sure to understand your question, but TAA 100 is better for EFIS legibility because this value defines their rendering resolution, regardless of the OXR/SteamVR SS. For better options, please vote:

EFIS Screens Problems and Solutions for higher legibility (link in the OP)

You wouldnā€™t want committing such sacrilege! Unless you only play FS2020 and even then, try running TAA 200 SS100 and let me know about the visuals. Once you get a 3090 or FS2020 optimizations permit, youā€™ll get nearly same legibility as G2 with much more robust VR experience and device.

Having said this, SteamVR 1.16.3 is breaking motion smoothing but look at the bright side: their release notes are mentioning the application can now pass the depth buffer. This means motion smoothing will be able to project pixels based on their distance, which is what WMR motion smoothing is doing and why WMR implementation is visually better (if not also faster).

Nevertheless, today Iā€™ve tried pushing my 2070S OC (never really done it before): +147Mhz core / +497Mhz mem. Results: no gain I can notice in particular either with G2 or Index. The same pixel shader related settings are depriving me from the same amount of fps as well (maybe not as much but nothing I would really measure from the look of it).

However, Iā€™ve been trying both the Robin and the Longitude over the Hawaii islands and it was great: with my settings in the OP but Terrain LOD 100 (instead of 50), 120Hz/30fps, TAA80/SS128 no reproj. and all good to fly and look in the Index.

Update: been doing a few flights over Hawaii with Longitude and K350 and all excellent with the SteamVR 1.16.2 beta (this evening theyā€™ve retired 1.16.3 which is disabling reproj. by error): 120Hz/24fps/50ms, TAA100/SS128 reproj.

NB: I find TAA100/SS128 giving really great EFIS screens of course but also good external and overall cockpit details, considering it is 2070S ā€œonlyā€ Iā€™m quite fine with the perf thanks to reproj. working there. I canā€™t wait they introduce 1.16.3 back, with the depth buffer support, and see whether this makes SteamVR reproj. much better with FS2020.

1 Like

PSA: it looks like SteamVR Beta reverted to 1.16.2 for me (at 20:30 EST)

The last bit was just frustration tongue in cheak comment, but thank you for your replies, I do have stunning visuals and finally 2 fast jets F15 and Typhoon to scream round the Mach loop with no stuttering until 1.16.3 and in DCS i only use VR for flight simulation .

ps thank you CapLucky for your detailed explanations im of the older generation 66 years (still think im 25 lol) and this has been a great help in understanding the intricacies of VR

1 Like

Reacting to your OC, I have now my RTX 3070 but right before with my GTX1080 having +150 core +300 Mem made only a light difference. For example a benchmark raised from 116fps to 123fps, and other benchmark was in the same ballpark. In other side, temperature raised from 74 to 85 degrees. So not sure itā€™s really useful unless youā€™re exactly on the edge of the targeted fps. In VR sometimes it made the difference for me, but only sometimes, thatā€™s why I only applied OC (through MSI Afterburner) before launching some games.

BTW with the new RTX I made a quick test today and was able to keep a steady 45fps with 77% gpu usage with my current settings. So I tested quickly TAA 80% and SS150% (though Oculus debug tool) and I had a pretty nice image, sharp, more or less smooth (some stutters) and the same amount of GPU headroom (77 / 80). So Iā€™ll be able to raise some settings, thatā€™s good :slight_smile:

Edit : I need to read again your advice on post 0 here :wink:

1 Like