My 6,700 mile African Bush Trip in JPLogistics Cessna 152

A African Bush Trip in JPLogistics Cessna 152.
King Shaka Intl to Morocco. Roughly 6,700 miles.

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 3
Okaukuejo (FYOO) to Bie (FNKU)
Total Distance: 633 miles

Leg 1
Okaukuejo (FYOO) to Lumbago (FNUB)
Distance: 340 miles.

After a good nights sleep camping out under a star filled sky, I was up bright and early.
After having breakfast and two mugs of coffee I decamped and loaded up the plane.
Once done I gave the old girl a check over and powered her up.
As the engine warmed up I set up the nav ready for the journey.
On the first leg I opted to end it at Lubango as they have a fuel truck. Plus I can freshen up and hopefully get a decent meal.

Time to get airborne.

I taxied to the runway, and for once the wind was in my favour.

Powering up I headed down the runway. The old girl gave a small splutter under protest as I pull the stick back.

Finally airborne I turned the nose to the north then continued my climb to 8,000ft.

To the North East I could make out what looked like snow, which were actually salt flats, dried up lakes.
I just had to go and see.
So I altered course and headed into the Etosha National Park

What a incredible sight they were.

Sight seeing over, I decided to get back on course, flying over one that appeared to still have some water left in it?

I was now once again heading north.
This leg will take me to the top of Namibia.

The view below me looked so barren and desolate. It has to be the most inhospitable place I have flown across so far on this journey?

Around 124 miles into my leg, I arrive at Outapi. A reasonably sized town with a airport.
With the flight going well, and a good tailwind, I was cruising at a good 90 to 95 knots. Certainly beats the usual 80 that I get.
103miles on from Outapi I reached my second waypoint. Cahama Airport with twin ashfelt runways. Like most of the airports it is no longer in use.

A few miles on, there appears to be either an old airport or an old military airbase.
Now in disrepair and all grown over!

It was now beginning to look like the barren landscape was starting to become much more greener than it was.

Finally the monotony of the vast flat plains was starting to be broken with distant mountains.
That means that I’m getting closer to the end of the leg.

Below me I began to see signs of life. Farmsteads, and even vehicles travelling along roads!

Finally my goal was in sight, and it was time to ready for my approach and commence my landing.
I so hope this place has somewhere I can freshen up and eat?

After circling round I committed to my landing.

Those tailwinds that I praised, I now cursed! They were now battering me dead side on.
How I got it down in one piece, I don’t know?

Finally Down, I taxied to my parking lot.
Once there, I radioed for the fuel truck, shut the plane down then checked the old girl over.

With the checks done, and fuelled up, I headed for the terminal.

8 Likes

excellent report.Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 3
Leg 2
Lumbago (FNUB) to Bie (FNKU)
Distance: 293 miles

After freshening up and eating, I headed back to my plane.
I powered her up for hopefully the last time today? Then radioed for taxi clearance and departure.
It seems the winds had changed as I was assigned runway 10, the opposite end to my assigned landing.
On taxiing to my assigned runway it seems a member of the groundcrew was in a rush to get home?

Taki complete, I radioed for clearance then proceeded to line up on the runway.
Throttling up I started down the runway, fighting the crosswinds all the way to rotation.
Pulling back on the stick the nose rose and I was up and on my way.

Checking the gauges and my course. All OK.
Angola here I come!

Headed to Angola my final destination for today was like flying over a totally different continent!
As you will see…

On this leg I opted to just have the one waypoint set at 182miles, Cuima Airport. As I was starting to tire I opted to fly without any detours.

Though below still looked a bit parched, there was certainly a lot more ranches scattered about.

The further I travelled North East, the greener the land became.
Before long, I was flying over farmsteads with cultivated land.
Only 170 miles from Lubango, and it was like I was flying over a different continent.

On my approach to my first waypoint, the sight that lay in front of me was awe-inspiring.

I was very tempted at this point to backtrack and land at Cuima, then dive into that inviting blueness.

But no, I need to reach my destination. So my journey continued, 111 miles to go.

With the inviting blueness left well behind me, I continued flying North East. Passing over scenery that I never believed existed in this part of Africa.

So far I was really enjoying this final leg of todays flight, but I was still looking forwards to getting back down on terraferma.

Just 7miles to go, my destination was almost in sight.

Finally I was upon the small airport, and setup for landing!

As I circled the airstrip, I kept one eye open for any signs of a hotel in the town below.

Right time to put this bird down on the asphalt…

All lined up and looking good.
Crosswinds, minimal…

Easy does it…

Touchdown!
My best landing of the day!

Now to taxi to my parking spot.

Hang on while I go and see if this place has a hotel.
Hey bud, is there a hotel in this town…

Sadly, no hotel. Though there is a small motel nearby.
Right time to check the old girl over and put her to bed.

Hey bud! Is there anywhere I can get a beer …

Day 3: Completed

4 Likes

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your journey!
Please know that the place to share this is Screenshots & World Discovery. I have moved your topic.

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 4
Bie to Mbuji-Mayi Distance: 631 miles
Leg 1
Bie (FNKU) to Saurimo (FNSA)
Distance: 304 miles

After a reasonably good nights sleep, I was in a pretty good mood and was looking forwards to todays flight.
With todays flight plan all written down in my log book I headed off to the airport.
Todays flight was to take me from Bie, North into the Congo to Maya-Maya (FCBB) via N’dalatando (FNNL) AND Maquela (FNMQ) as fuel stops if needed. A distance of 604 miles.

Well that’s what I thought I was going to do…
On reaching the airport I was informed that due to adverse weather in the area, small craft are grounded.

Right, change of plan!
Back at my old girl, I checked her over and powered her up.
Whilst I waited for her to come up to temp, which in this part of the world is quick!
I set up the gps and filed my new flight plan.
I opted the continue in a north easterly direction to Mbuji-Mayi, 631 miles and one stop midway.

So it was time to depart and head to the Congo.

I taxied to my assigned runway, pushed the throttle forwards and hit the skies

Take-off went smoothly with only light wind for a change, and I was soon leaving Bie behind.
What lay before me, was just jaw dropping! and the views just got better and better.

As I flew on, towards my refuelling stop, rivers started to appear, weaving their way through a dense jungle.
Once again I thought how can a single continent be so diverse? Every day (so far) during this journey over Africa has been completely different!

Continuing my flight, and I was rapidly closing on my stop off point, and now the jungle was changing yet again. Leaving the jungle behind me.

300 miles on it was time to land on yet another closed airfield.
I made my approach, and with minimal cross winds I was down.

Now to taxi, park up and hopefully get some fuel?

Hmm! I wonder if that guy can help?

Yo! Buddy…

Whilst I waited I gave the old girl a check over, and all look good.
As I continued to wait I decided that I may as well have some lunch.

Now where did I put my camping stove?

3 Likes

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 4
Leg 2
Saurimo (FNSA) to Mbuji-Mayi (FZWA)
Distance: 327 miles

After I had finished my lunch, and waited for well over an hour, a member of the ground crew finally arrived with some fuel to top the tanks up.

After saying my thanks and handing over payment I boarded the plane and prepared for the final leg of the day.
With systems up and running, gps all set up, I taxied to the run way.
When lined up I gunned the engine and set off

Pulling back on the stick, I eased the old girl into the air.

Once I had gained a bit of altitude, I gently turned the nose until it was pointing in a north-easterly direction.

Finally leaving Saurimo behind, I continued to climb the 9,000ft.

Once up to altitude I engaged the autopilot and once more began to admire the wilds of Africa.

Only 30 mins out and once again the landscape below me started to change.

Just a few mile before reaching the mid point of this leg, the stunning looking river Kasai homed into view. As far as the eye can see, looking like a great scar etched across the landscape

Midpoint of the leg, there’s a huge gully filled with trees.

The patchwork of different colours that seem to go on forever in all directions, is just breath taking!

As I fly over Ikomba, signs of life as large settlements start to appear

The river Lulua in Ngoma, looking like a red blooded gash strewn across the tortured landscape.

So far this part of this journey just has to be the most breath taking!
Africa seems to get more and more beautiful the closer you get to the equator?

With just under 40 miles to go, the signs of life, civilisation has started to increase.

It’s not long after, just of to the left I spot my destination.

Time to prepare for landing…

I bring the plane round, and once more the crosswinds are very minimal. This made lining up a breeze!

For the last time today, I was soon taxiing to my parking spot, and looking forwards to a shower, a decent meal and a beer or two.

Finally parked up I shut down and checked the girl over. Gave her a top up of fuel and put her to bed.

After checking the diagnostics on iPad, looks like the old girl’s in need of her plugs cleaning, and a top up of oil?

That can wait until the morning!

Right time to find a taxi, a hotel, and a bar.

Day 4, Completed

2 Likes

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 5
Leg 1
Mbuji-Mayi (FZWA) to Kindu (FZOA)
Distance: 276 miles

After a excellent nights sleep I was up early and back at the airport, and prepping the plane for the ready for the first leg of the journey.
When I had finished cleaning the plugs and topping up the oil, I was met by Hans who was hitching a ride with me on this leg to Kindu, where he will be meeting up with a friend who was doing some missionary work in the area.
Hans was touring Africa and was travelling from Cape Town to Cairo where he would eventually catch a flight back to Demark.

After loading his gear into the plane, I fired the girl up, set course in the gps, then radioed for taxi clearance.

After taxiing I lined up and throttled up.

With a descent headwind we were soon airborne, and pointed the nose north-east.

With Mbuji-Mayi behind, I set the altitude and hit the AP.

I must admit, it felt strange having a passenger after all this time flying over South Africa. But it was great to have someone to talk to.

We continued flying north-east heading across the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
To be honest, I was expecting to see a few more trees than this?
But Hans assured me that I will.

Look Trees! Hans reported followed with laughter!
What a comedian!

Below there was signs of life, with the sight of small plumes of smoke from fires billowing upwards.

As we neared our destination, more signs of life began to show, with small villages scattered on the vast landscape below.

Not long after passing the beautiful sight of Lac Kasuku , Hans pointed over to our 11 o-clock. Our destination was finally in sight.

It was time to prep for landing. After receiving my assigned approach I started to take the old girl in.

All lined up, I began our descent.

Finally down, I radioed for taxiing to my parking spot.
When parked up, I shut the plane down and give her a quick check over.

Happy with that I headed to the terminal, where Hans was kind enough to buy me lunch as a thank you.

Leg 1 Complete

2 Likes

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 5
Leg 2
Kindu (FZOA) to Bangoka (FZIC)
Distance: 250 miles

After saying our farewells, Me and Hans parted ways.
I was heading north. A part of the journey that I was really looking forwards to.
To get to Bangoka I will be following the Mighty Congo river which will transition me form the southern hemisphere and into the Northern.

As I was about to head to the plane I was informed that the weather over Bangoka had changed and there’s a possibility of rain, though wind levels are low to moderate, so I should be ok.

Back at the plane I topped up the tank then powered her up.
If all goes well, this will be my final take off in South Africa?

Pre-flight checks done, and taxi clearance given, I headed out.

Course laid in, I gunned the engine and headed off.

Swinging north to eventually leave an incredible south behind me and a new found friend!

With the AP active, I was soon following the Congo river. Sky looks ok ahead to me.
Maybe I was given the report for a different area?

I continued my flight following the Congo, in awe of its shear beauty.
I could now tell that I was nearing the Equator as the sun was almost directly overhead.

Then in the distance the clouds started to show themselves.
The report was right after all!

Even with the cloud cover, this incredible river still looked spectacular!

Now 30 miles from the equator I continued to follow the river.

Up ahead was a small town. This could only mean that I was just a few miles away from my destination?

The equator now lay just 8 miles ahead.

I was now passing from South Africa and into North Africa

Farewell South Africa, You was the perfect host, Thank you for sharing your beauty!

A few miles on, it was time to prepare to land, and to end the incredible journey over South Africa.

With permission to land granted, and my runway assigned, it was time to end this leg of a incredible journey.

With the runway in sight, I took my old girl round and lined up.

With slight crosswinds I brought her down.

After taxiing to my allotted parking spot, I shut the old girl down, did my checks…

… then headed off to find a hotel, and a beer!

Tomorrow, my North African adventure begins…

2 Likes

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 6
Leg 1
Bangoka (FZIC) to Binga (FZGE)
Distance: 371 miles

Last night after stocking up with supplies, I sat down with a couple of beers to decide the next days journey.
With my plan decided I went to bed.

I woke up feeling really good and very optimistic with the journey I had opted for.
After breakfast I headed off back to my plane.
It was 8am and it was already feeling humid.
Undeterred I entered what they called the Main terminal, did the usual security checks then headed to the plane.
Still there where I left her. chucking my overnight bag in the back, I began my checks!
Happy I powered her up. As she came up to temp I entered the data into the GPS.

After radioing in for taxi clearance and depart right out, I commenced the longest leg so far.

Lined up, I once again pushed the throttle forwards, and headed off down the runway.

With a good headwind, the old girl was soon up and stretching her wings.

After turning back on myself I set the course for the west.

I was heading for Binga, a route that will take me along the Conga River.

300 miles of incredible views!

The further west I went, it wasn’t long until the clouds started to roll in.

As I passed the small town of Bumba, I was starting to wonder if I was making the right choice of flying west. After all, Just a few days ago I had flown east to avoid the severe weather in the west!

But still, this is the Conga River. An opportunity not to be missed!
I flew on…
Passing over the small town of Yakata

Then the large town o fLapangan Terbang Lisal.

Sadly it was now time to swing round and head north-west.
With one last look at the Great Conga River, I made my turn.

On leaving the Conger behind me, I was soon hitting clouds.

With Bangoka now over 360 miles behind me, Binga was finally in view.

After circling the airfield I lined up and took her in.

Finally down.

Parked up, I shut down and top up the tank.

Right now for some lunch!

Leg 1 Complete

1 Like

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 6
Leg 2
Binga (FZGE) to Berbarati (FEFT)
Distance: 350 miles

After lunch I managed to find a local, working in what they use as a hanger? Here I managed to get my cans filled back up with fuel. Though my big concern was, how many years old it was?

Back at the plane with my next leg entered into the gps, I taxied down the strip and brought her about.
Gunning the engine, I set off.

As soon as I was up, peering out of the passenger window…

The weather was turning. The cloud was once again rolling in, bringing with it rain!

I was now climbing in a channel, with rain on both sides. I needed to get higher.

Eventually the cloud gave way, giving me views of the Ubangi River. This winds south-west through the landscape, and eventually joins up with the Congo River

It wasn’t long until once again, I flew into more cloud. This time it carpeted the landscape below.

Finally, just 40 miles from my destination the clouds started to disperse.

40 miles out and the sun was now setting fast.

25 miles ahead, somewhere in the glare of the setting sun lay my final destination of this days journey.

10 miles to go, and below there’s signs of life.

With the sun approaching the horizon, I finally see the faintest sliver of the strip.

After circling round to verify that it is indeed my destination. It was time to land.

Bring the plain round, I noted a substantial sized town not to far away from the airfield.

Finally lined up, and it was time to make my landing.

Kicking up dust, I was down just as the sun was starting to kiss the horizon.

Time to park up, and dig out the tent and setup camp.

Leg 2 Complete
Day 6 Complete

My Epic African Bush Trip Continues…

3 Likes

Wow, what an epic journey! A brave endeavour well documented: very well done.

1 Like

What a great trip. Keep on!

Which tablet are you using in your 152?

1 Like

Cheers! @mijoe74
I am certainly enjoying doing it. I will be posting todays journey, day 7 later.

For the tablet here is the link… cessna-152-avionics-tablet-mod

1 Like

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 7
Leg 1
Berbarati (FEFT) to Bafoussam (FKKU)
Distance: 385 miles

I was up early and back at the plane for 8am.
With the craft all checked over fuelled up, I powered her up.
With the engine ticking over, I entered the data into the gps.
Originally for todays journey I was going to fly north, then cut across N.E heading for Cairo. But due to complications and mixed info on civilian aircraft flying restrictions over Libya, I opted to continue N.W over Cameroon and onto Nigeria.

It was now coming on 9:30 so I throttled up and taxi down the dirt strip of a runway, turned about, and throttled up.
Take off was a rough ride, as the winds had picked, But before long I was airborne once more.

Once I was into a steady climb I brought the nose round until I was on my chosen course.

Ahead of me the cloud was starting to build up. Continuing to climb I set the AP then activated it.

It wasn’t long until I started to encounter the clouds that minutes ago were off in the distance.

The landscape below was of hills, with their valleys filled with trees, all competing for the life giving water.

I continued on. Small villages began to show, with trails connecting each one, trails that were probably created by a thousand years worth of footsteps?

I flew on…
Off to my left I passed the small town of Batouri, with its small dirt strip runway.

As I continued on, the landscape now began to fill with huge forests with hints a small villages hidden away under the green canopy.

I was soon passing the large town of Belabo that hugged the banks of the river Sanaga

I continued on course following the Sanaga river, until it eventually changed it’s winding course towards the S.W.

More signs of life, with villages spread out across the vastness.
Cameroon was certainly different to my previous days.

I passed the town of Bertoua. with a network of roads and tracks panning out like tendrils.

As I flew onwards, the end of this leg was drawing closer, and now the clouds were starting to once more close in.

A few miles ahead was my destination, and it was starting to not look good!
The winds had picked up. Even the AP was beginning to struggle to keep the plane on course!

Below, a village, about to receive well needed rain.
Infront of me it was like a wall of water.

I disengaged the AP and flew for the clear channel at my 11 o-clock.
This made me fully appreciate the hard work that the AP did fighting these gusts.

For the first time since setting out from the south coast, I was finally encountering rain.
I felt like taking the old girl down there and then, just to be able to feel it on my face.

After what seemed like a eternity flying through the downpour

I was out of the clouds, and with just 10 miles to go, I prepared for landing.

5 mile out, the airstrip was in sight.

With the strip nestled on the side of a hillside I started to circle above the town below ready for landing.

Now all lined up as best as I could keep the old girl lined up. I took her down.

Not centre lined, but I was down safely.

Bringing her speed down to a steady coast, I taxied to the parking.
Once there I powered down. Climbing out I commence to check the plane over, and to stretch my legs.

Checks all done I unloaded my Jerry cans and filled them up ready for further on in the journey.

Deciding to fill the plane later, I headed off to get some lunch.

Leg 1, 385 miles Complete.

1 Like

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 7
Leg 2
Bafoussam (FKKU) Akure (DNAK)
Distance: 367 miles

After a good lunch and a 2 hour break it was time to start on the second leg of the day.
This leg will take me N.W.W out of Cameroon and into Nigeria.

After doing my preflight checks and setting the course into the gps. I filled the old girl up.
When done I taxied to my departing runway.

Lined up on the runway, ahead of me the horizon was filled with cloud.
This should be fun?

Gunning the engine I headed down the runway.

Immediately the crosswinds were trying their best to take me off to the side. All the way it was a fight.
Eventually I got the plane in the air.

Leaving Bafourssam behind me I continued to climb whilst still fighting the gale winds.

With the rain closing in on me I turned the plane N.W.W.
Willing the plane on, I continued to get the girl to climb faster.

Directly ahead was a mountain. This old girl just couldn’t climb quick enough to get over it in time.
This forced my to change course and fly around it. Out of the whole of Africa I end up with the only mountain for a thousand miles directly in front of me, and hidden by clouds?

As I rounded the mountain, the cloud cover had subsided, and I was greeted with spectacular views.

Mountains crisscrossed with trails leading to villages along their paths
To the left, to the right, the views were just staggering. They go on as far as the eye can see.
Cameroon, You have given me the best joy on the journey so far! I thank you!

As the mountains ebbed away behind, I was soon flying over huge landscapes of trees, with rivers snaking paths through them

Below under the encroaching cloud, the town of Agrigon lay nestled within the vast expanse of trees

Soon the view below me was enveloped by cloud cover

After what seem an eternity the earth below was once again revealed.
I was now leaving Cameroon and entering Nigeria.

Now halfway through this leg I was approaching the Nigerian town of Abakaliki, and the sight was just incredible!

Houses, farmsteads, there was thousands of then. The landscape was just filled with them.

Sat towards the western side of the town is the Akanu Ibian Intl Airport, with ILS!

Finally after leaving the far behind I was once again flying over expanses of open plain.

With a hundred mile to go, yet another formidable river, the River Nigra comes in to view.

On crossing the Nigra, you enter into the Orle River Game Reserve

With 60miles to go to my destination, the sun was now dipping below the top of the screen.

15 miles up ahead, hidden by the suns glare now lay my goal for today.

Finally Akure comes into view.

Time to get lined up, and take the old girl down for the final landing this week.

Bringing her down, and turning in…

I get lined up. For once today the winds have settled down.

Time to go in…

Akure, We have touchdown!

Finally a long day week, and a long week draws to a close!

After parking up I shut the down and head off to see if I can find a decent hotel and a bar!

Day 7
Leg 2 367 miles complete

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 8
Leg 1
Akure (DNAK) to Niamtougou (DNAK)
Distance: 342 miles

Late Saturday afternoon after departing from the airport in a taxi, I was checking into the Crystal Suites hotel for a couple of nights, and a day of relaxation.

After spending yesterday buying a few supplies and lazing by the pool reading Alistair MacLean’s Where Eagles Dare, I was now back at the plane checking her over for todays flight.
Though she was looking dusty I was happy. Chucking my daypack into the back I climbed aboard and started the preflight. All ok, I fired her up.

As I peered out at the rain filled cloud that was closing in, I radioed for clearance to taxi, straight out.
Permission granted I started to roll to my assigned departure runway.

Lined up, I throttled up, and hit the skies!

With Akure now falling behind me I swung the old girl round until I was heading in the direction of Niamtougou.

As I climbed the clouds started to enshroud me in their misty rain.

As I passed over the town of Esarun I engaged the Autopilot

As I approached the town of Igbara Oke, the clouds began to thin out, allowing me to view the vast jungle below.

Everywhere I looked there were towns and villages scattered throughout the mass of green.

The trees eventually gave way to a patchwork of fields and communes of small farmsteads.

With the patchwork of fields falling behind came the large town of Osogbo with its small airfield, and roads that lead away in all directions to the surrounding towns and villages.

I was now passing the expanse of water, The Kanji Reservoir, that provides fresh water to the surrounding population. and the Old Oyo National Park the touches its northern shore.

Flying on, I was now flying over a landscape of greens, browns, and I was now approaching the Okpara river that winds its way north to south and separates Nigeria from Benin.

Just minutes later I left Nigeria.
Next up was the immense Foret de Wari Maro with the river Oueme cutting through its eastern side.

Over the village of Owode-Igbomakro I spotted a few mountains of in the distance, standing out on a almost flat landscape.

I was now passing over the large town of Mosquee BILAL Semere, marking the departure of Benin and the start of Toga marked by a solitary line of mountains. I was now nearing my destination.

A few miles ahead, somewhere along that distant ridge lay the runway where I would be landing.

It was now just 5miles ahead. Time to prepare for landing!

With the runway now just off to my left I started my approach.

Gradually I descended, with the town below slowly getting closer…

…I commenced my turn.

When lined I took her in.

Now back on terraferma it was time to taxi.

Finally taxied and parked up, I radioed for a fuel truck, and as I waited I did my post flight checks then shut the plane down.

Right time to stretch my legs and grab a bite to eat…

Leg 1, 342miles Complete

2 Likes

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 8
Leg 2
Niamtougou (DNAK) to Bobo-Dioulasso (DFOO)
Distance: 381 miles

After a good lunch and some time pleasant chat with a on site mechanic, I was back at the plane.
With the plane all fuelled up and my pre-flight complete, it was now time to commence the second leg.
Continuing the N.W.W direction, This leg will be taking me through Ghana and into Burkina Faso where I will spend the night at the the hotel Hôtel L´Auberge, which was recommended to me by the Mechanic.

With the old girl powered up, checks complete, and taxi clearance given,I headed for the runway.

With departure approved I lined up, then commenced down the strip.

Leaving Niamtougou behind I began my climb over the ridge.

With my course laid in, I head off for Ghana.

With the mountains fallen behind me, the landscape once again began to flatten out, and below me
came the Kara river.

The Kara river continued to wind its path underneath me all the way to where it joins the Oti river that follows the border of Toga and Ghana.

Just 50miles on I had reached the Town of Koulfiekou situated on the western edge of Toga and hugging the banks of the Oti river.

As I crossed the Oti, I was now entering Ghana.

Below the river Nasia could be seen winding its path through a mosaic of cultivated land.

As I flew on, the small towns of Wugu, Zangu, and Wulugu off in the distance was showing signs of the great deserts (just a hundred miles to the north) tendrils reaching out and down southwards.

Neext up, the White Volta river with its banks of white sands winding it’s way down from the north.

I was now following the Sisili river

Half through the leg I passed over the small village of Gwasi, with its houses spread along the Fian Navrongo road.

Once more the landscape became peppered with small villages and farsteads scattered as far as the eye can see.

These sights of what I have seen and I am seeing, really makes you appreciate what you have.
Africa may look beautiful from up here, Down there it is a harsh landscape and a hard place to live.
Total respect!

Continuing to fly on, flying over what seemed thousands of villages and farms, I was now approaching the Black Volta river.

On crossing the Black Volta, I was now leaving Ghana and entering Burkina Faso. On crossing I entered the Bontioli Reserve forest. Which is then followed by the
Barrage de Bapla reservoir. Only 100 miles to my destination.

This is soon followed by the small reservoir at Milpo.

The more I creeped my way north, the more apparent the encroaching of the desert was becoming.

I was now just a few miles out, and ahead now lay the place I would be spending the night.
I just hope the hotel’s decent?

When I closed in on the runway, I began my landing procedures!

Passing over the town where I’d be spending the night, and the runway in sight, I once more began my approach. Lined up and took the old girl down.

The winds were not in favour, I really struggled to keep the girl on line. It was another rough landing for the poor girl. But we were down!

Once down I taxied to the usual General Parking area and parked up.

Got on the radio and called for the fuel truck, then commenced to shut the girls down for the night.

Checking the pad, I could see that it was time to top up her oil. Engine wasn’t to bad for now.
Screenshot 2023-07-02 191017
Locking her up, I headed for the terminal, and to find a taxi.

Day 8, Leg 2, 381 miles Complete

Now where’s the taxi…

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 9
Leg 1
Bobo-Dioulasso (DFOO) to Senou (GABS)
Distance: 262 miles

After spending a very enjoyable evening and night at the Hôtel L´Auberge, I was checked out at 10am and heading back to the airport.
Once I was back at the airport, and the usual security checks done I headed out to my plane.
Still sitting where I left her, I opened her a threw my day pack into the back and then proceeded to ready her for the flight ahead.
On board I did my preflight then commenced to power her up. When she was ticking over as best as she could I plotted my course into the gps, and set the cruise altitude ready.

Happy that all was ok I radioed for taxi clearance.
Permission granted, I set off.

Lined up on the runway, I opened the throttle and headed off down the runway.
With a nice headwind I was soon up and heading for a clear blue sky.

with a nice gentle climb over the welcoming town below, I swung her about and put her on course for Senou.

As I continued to climb, leaving Bobo behind, I was soon flying over an almost empty landscape once again. With the odd dirt track with the odd village at its side.

It wasn’t long until I reach the town of Banzo, with its large and what looked like a plantation?
Winding its way around from the north is the Mouhoun river.

At la mare de fegnana, the signs of recent rains as a lake has formed.

Barely visible below signs of villages given away by the trails leading away from them.
I was now leaving Burkina Faso and entering Mali.

As I pass over what looks like green pastures, another lake comes into view.

Onwards I fly! Signs of the desert loom into view, with the Nienie river winding a path through it.

As I flew over what looked like a barren wasteland, I could just make out villages that were almost perfectly blending in with the surrounding land.

Another river river. The river Bagoe with its banks of sand. Marking that I had passed the halfway point

Just beyond the river Bagou lies the small village of Diankarela.

As the sands giveway to more fertile land, I pass over the village of Toga that sits nestled beside the RN30 road.

Back over the the southern reaches of the vast desert to the north winds the Baoule river.

I was now well into the leg, I was now only 50 miles out from my destination. Marked by the the river Banifing.

Just over 20 miles out. Somewhere ahead in the haze of the heat lay the end of the first leg.

As I neared I started to lose altitude in preparation for landing.

Finally there, and with the airfield in sight, I turned and started taken the old girl in.

Taking her in over the town now below me.

Finally down on the deck, I applied the brakes to come down to a steady coast, and then made way to the parking.

Finally, parked up I radioed for the fuel truck, then commenced to shut the plane down.

With the plane shut down and the checks complete, I head off to grab a coffee and a bite to eat.

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 9
Leg 2
Senou (GABS) to Tambacounda (GOTT)
Distance: 393 miles

After having a coffee and a snack, followed by another coffee I set off back to the plane to begin the second leg of the journey.
This would take out of Mali and into Senegal, and with the sun high in the sky and no cloud cover, it was going to be a warm ride.

With the plane all set. I radioed for clearance to depart.
With the permissions granted I began my taxi to the runway.
When lined up I gunned the engine and set of rolling down the tarmac gradually gaining speed.

Without flaps, the old girl soon began to lose her grip on the tarmac and slowly rose into the air.

Finally airborne and continuing to climb I cleared the runway and brought her about, back on herself.
Now pointing in the right direction our 393 mile journey was fully on the way.
As I slowly climbed above the town of Bamako, for the second time on the African adventure I was once more greeted by the sight of the Niger river.

This river begins its life in the south, in the National Park of the Upper Niger in Guinea. It will then wind its way North-East for around 700 miles then turn to the east before turning back south, to end ints journey in Edumanom National Forest where it finally joins the Gulf of Guinea.

On passing over the Niger I hit the AP, then watched out the rear as The Niger fell behind.

Flying on with the great river now out of view, the landscape was still looking worse for wear. Yet still scattered around lay villages with there tenants just getting on with surviving!

The terrain below was now looking very unwelcoming. Filled with hills a small mountains. Ifyou was to have engine failure here, I don’t think the chances of surviving would be very high?

Soon, with the terrain levelling out a bit, I was passing over the Keniebaoule Reserve, with villages scattered along its edge.

Villages with tracks leading away from them. With their sandy looks in the surround green, making look like meteor impacts!

I now found myself following the Bakoy River until it finally head off to the north.

As I left the river behind, sitting on the horizon was what appeared to be a large lake directly ahead.

As I continued on course, and heading for the lake. I passed over a couple of villages near to the river Bakoy.

Now flying over the RN22 road with villages at its side, following the lakes shore eastern shore.

I was now fly over the great expanse of water, looking like a jewel on the barren landscape.
This is lake Debruin.

Leaving behind the blue jewel, I was now flying of green landscape scarred with brown hills.

Just a few miles ahead lay the river Bafling cutting its way north.

I was now approaching the border. I was now leaving Marli and entering Senegal.

The border consisted of a virtually dried up river. The river Faleme.

Five minutes later, my course took me back over the river Falene, and back into Mali.

One more minute later I crossed the Falene one last time putting me bac in to Senegal.

Finally with the multi border crossings behind, The end of the second leg was almost in sight.

Once again the landscape below was starting to fill with villages peppered all over the land below.
I was now just miles out.

Off to my right, the village of Gouta. Only 60 miles now to go.

Passing over a beautiful looking village, Surrounded with green fields making it stand out in the sun scorched brown surrounds.

20 miles out, I began to lose altitude ready for landing. Off to my left, a line of small lakes providing water for the villages nearby.

10 miles out. Up ahead lay my destination.

Runway now in sight it mas time to land.

After circling round, I took the old girl in.

All lined up…

I was down

After taxiing to a parking spot, I shut the old girl down, locked up then headed off to the terminal.

I wonder if there’s a hotel in this town, and a bar?

Day 9, Leg 2 complete

2 Likes

Pilots (Captain’s) Log
Day 10
Leg 1
Tambacounda (GOTT) to Oumtounsy (GQNO)
Distance: 359 miles

It was a good morning, and despite a bad nights sleep due to a uncomfortable bed, I was feeling good and keen to get in the air.
Today was going to take me N.W to the coast. How we do like to be beside the seaside!

I was back at the plane for 10am, and with pre-flight done I was heading for the runway.
Lined up and with a nasty crosswind from the east, I throttled up and headed off down the tarmac.

Picking up speed the nose began to lift and I was once again airborne.

After bringing her about and got pointing in the right direct I began my steady climb to 9,000ft.

With Tambacounda now receding into the distance I engaged the AP and headed for the horizon.

Only 30 miles into my flight I passed over the Koussanar river with the town of Gouidi on its eastern banks.

Below the landscape was a patchwork of greens and browns, and with the odd village placed along tracks.

Now the landscape began to change. It was now showing signs that the great desert was closing in.
Yet still the signs of man show in the terrain below.

Now 9,000ft below, the landscape began to turn to sand, with high ridges carved out by winds.

As I continued on course I passed over the dried up river bed of the river Valle du Ferio. Looking like a great scar!

Further on. I reach my first and only waypoint. Sitting on the bank of the river, is the town of Linguere with its small dirt runway.

Off to the left I see water, It’s the same river that I flew over ten minutes earlier, and the sign of a village with tracks leading away like spokes of a wheel.

As I shadow the river, ahead the border where I will depart Senegal is in sight.

As I approach the border, off to the left is the great Lake, Lac de Guieres.
In such a vast and barren landscape, it’s certainly a wonderful sight to behold. And just about visible on the horizon. The Atlantic Ocean. My goal was finally in sight.

I was now about to depart from Senegal, and enter the forbidding landscape that is Mauritania.
But below came the very beautiful border town of Richard Toll. The Senegal side just covered with what looks like plantations following the east bank.

I was now in Mauritania, and before me what I can only describe as, as a very big beach when the tide has just gone out, leaving streaks of water in channels.

With the ocean and destination drawing nearer…

Then 50 miles out. Disaster strikes!
Severe bad weather had moved in, and I was denied landing.

Going back to my charts, I found Nouakchott a closed down airport 12 miles short of my destination. That would have to do. Updating the gps I changed course.

I eventually arrived at Nouakchott, and as I made my decent I circled the runway.
The plane was now beginning to be thrown all over the place.

Finally it was time to make my landing.
I could barely keep the plane pointing at the runway.
With pure luck (though I admit it was a very hard landing), I managed to bring her down smack in the middle.

Bring the old girl under control, I turned about and headed for the parking.

Parked up, I opened up the doors and sat back.

It was now time to decide what to do next.

Tambacounda (GOTT) to Nouakchott (GQNN)
Distance: 347 miles

Leg 1: Complete (Just about!)