My DIY 2DOF Motion Platform for MSFS - adding a whole new immersion level to VR, on a budget - VIDEO

Well, that’s the only legal way to DUI :slight_smile:

BTW I updated my programming in FlyPTMover today:

1. I replaced roll and pitch position mix-in poses with “Lateral Gravity” and “Longitudal Gravity” instead. The benefit is that it behaves similar to roll and pitch position, but there is no sudden flip when inverted - when doing a barrel roll or a loop, the directional gravity simply decreases again and goes to the fully inverted, so there are no sudden jumps. Tuned it to a nice smooth cue that mixes in to the main roll and pitch acceleration forces.
  2. I created a new pose to mix in HEAVE to pitch axis. After my recent flight in a Cessna 152 I paid attention to the forces and heave was definitely a prominent force that was lacking in my rig, otherwise it was surprisingly realistic by comparison. Because of all the gear in front my rig’s COG is forward of my body COG, so a very limited and fast pitch movement feels a lot like a lifting movement of my body, then when angle becomes prominent it feels more like actually pitching up or down. So I limited the max possible movement for mixed in heave. Now it feels much more like I’m pressed into my seat when pitching up, or feel a momentary “weightlessness” when leveling in from a climb - that was a really memorable feeling when I was piloting the Cessna for a bit and started leveling off - really felt like a high-speed elevator stopping, I tried to mimic it with my rig, and now it’s there - within reason of course, as it’s only a 2DOF.

I’m very happy with how it feels now. Got a friend who visited me and he asked me to let him try the rig. I did. He was just shocked by the realism. He said he couldn’t have imagined anything that feels so amazingly real, i blew all his expectations. He’s not a simmer actually, and has no VR, but it was nice to see the reaction.

1 Like