My Live Weather Seems To Be Working!

I just felt I needed to post this because I’ve been complaining about it since the first day of it’s release. This is very preliminary (for me anyway) but based on what I can tell, the sim is finally matching my current local weather. Now, that said, this is Southern California and skies are often clear this time of year and there’s hardly ever rain but I am basing this off temperatures. In game temps on the ground have never come close to matching the actual local temperatures until this last patch. For me, at least.

I’ve spent the last three days testing randomly as well as an entire day leaving the game (and airplane) running on the ground and checking the sim every hour to compare it with the local temperature. It’s been within a couple of degrees each time consistently. I’ve also phoned the local airport ATIS to see what they are reporting and it’s extremely close.

I just wanted to report this to the community because it comes as a great relief for me. I hope it continues.

Thank you

1 Like

I was similarly in the throngs of optimism for 1 flight post latest patch. But then it all went to s**t again! Long may yours continue though!

Thunder and lightning abound in clear skies across Europe.

1 Like

Had no thunder since latest update… Wind was fine for me (Europe) anyway. Maybe they fixed it finaly.

Keep trying! This is day three of my checking and I feel confident it will continue. Hope I am not wrong. Even if it stops working for a day, I have to now believe it is at least CAPABLE of working as advertised. That’s not something I could say until now.

1 Like

Ah you may have a point with the daily checking…

Lightning yesterday in himalaya, today in Corsica. :confused:

Lightening in Sauda Arabia yesterday with a couple of tiny 200-foot cumulus clouds. Me-no-think-so…

1 Like

Dry weather here too, thought hazy due to smoke which seems realistically portrayed in the sim, also bumpy with moderate turbulence as reported online.

…and no lightning.

The lightning issue is definitely there even in 1.9.5.0 and it’s annoying

I have been complaining about it (many times) since many days before release. :slightly_smiling_face:

Today everything is working for me (I did not change anything on my end). Everything is very close to what local METARs are. I hope (I am sure) it will only improve.

The problems I was having before today:

• Restart after first flight to get Live Weather (even though not accurate) to load.

• Live weather loads, but it is 15 hours old.

• Etc (All the Live weather-related posts you can see (find) on this forum).

So, from departure, through in route, and to destination. It was awesome!

Clouds :sun_behind_small_cloud: to more clouds :sun_behind_large_cloud: to rain :cloud_with_rain: :wind_face: :cloud_with_lightning:wind… Everything dynamic in between two airports (around KDCA), 114 nautical miles apart. No more :cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: :cloud_with_lightning: everywhere and all the time.

Will test more, but there is defiantly something is being done on the back end.
If it at least stays this way, I am happy.

The last part of the puzzle is to fix Live Weather ATIS. It is always the same when live weather is on, and has nothing in common with what live weather is.

1 Like

I do believe this remains a work in progress. I think wind is probably the most tricky. Several times I have had wind direction almost perfect, but intensity, not so much. The windsocks have been very good at showing wind direction, and intensity as reported by ATIS/AWOS/ASOS. I have noticed that many automated weather frequencies are not working. I’m not sure ASOBOS will fix this, but there are two companies working in tandem Navigraph, and fsAerodata that have been around for a while, and have been updating airport info for several simulators, and currently have a beta test in progress for this one. It is an annual subscription, but if you want updated airport information (frequencies, magnetic varience, NavAids, SIDS STARS, etc), I do believe they are the ones to watch.

unfortunately, but live weather is still very inaccurate, especially when it comes to rainfall … I have rarely seen situations where the metar showed rain, Live Weather also showed rainfall … I live next to the airport, and the metar data is always in line with the real weather. I have one solution for this topic - the weather for airports MUST be taken from the METAR data - then we have perfect wind, pressure, rainfall etc. etc … after taking off from the airport it should switch to LIVE Weather FS and data from Meteoblue, then at the appropriate distance from the destination airport, it should be taken from the METAR again and that will be great then

1 Like

It’s just so frustrating that I need to do detective work to try and figure out what weather the game is actually giving me.

My local airport has the current METAR.

KETB 170015Z AUTO 28007KT 10SM SCT036 BKN042 OVC048 04/02 A3004 RMK AO2

On the world map when clicking on the airport it shows me wind of 246 09kt, ok, not terrible. If I remove the airport as my departure it shows winds at 13kt from around 246.

Then when I load into the airport I get 7.31kt at 246. Windsock indicates that speed as well. LittleNavMap shows me wind of 252 @ 7kt.

In-game ATIS gives me the following. 253@19kt Vis 3, Few clouds 500, Few clouds 4100, Few Clouds 11,500, Temp 3, Dewpoint 10, Altimeter 30.12. This is better than usual, but having the ATIS almost completely wrong is game breaking.

2 Likes

I flew a 2.5 hour flight today from Cincinnati to Columbus Georgia. I was using ForeFlight to obtain real world METARS, Winds Aloft, and radar data along the way. I took off in a rainstorm. No cumulonimbus activity was being shown in ForeFlight, but was present in the Sim. METARS were pretty good for wind direction and velocity. The ATIS at the departure airport was off by about 20 degrees and called for more wind than seemed to be present. ATC did not choose the favored runway.

ForeFlight showed a 10 knot head wind at 4,500 feet (average predicted for the duration of my flight). After getting up to cruise altitude and getting trimmed, my ground speed was 147kts with a TAS of 172kts.

The clouds were well represented in terms of height and density. I flew out of them right as Foreflight’s radar showed them diminishing the headwinds died down as I left the storm, and my ground speed increased up to 165kts.

Winds were not quite as forecast at the destination airport, but close enough that the same runway was still favored, and, miraculously, ATC gave me a left base to runway 60, which also made sense given my position. I landed 3 minutes ahead of my scheduled time enroute.

Barometric pressure along the way called by ATC was consistently .08 inches less than reported by METAR at airports along my route. The same was true at the destination airport. It is definitely not perfect, but this was a pretty satisfying flight.

Not only does Live Weather no longer work for me, but Custom Weather does not either. Doesn’t matter which airport I’m at or my weather settings in either Flight Conditions or by changing settings via the toolbar while in flight mode. Every flight, without exception, starts with clear skies and 29.92 barometric pressure and cannot be changed.

I’ve read posts about METAR, wind and other inaccuracies but nothing like this.

All driver versions are current - video card, computer BIOS, MSFS, etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this level of dysfunctionality? Thoughts?

@Airecop Is “Live Players” selected when you start your flight? It took me a while to figure out that when it’s selected, I cannot modify the weather in game. This doesn’t sound like your issue but thought I’d throw it out there.

@TonyCowboysFan I’ve tried it with each of the three Multiplayer choices selected and it made no difference.

Appreciate the thought, though. I’m hoping it’s just some obscure, non-obvious setting that I’ve overlooked, although I keep thinking I’ve tried everything that makes sense.

@SoloTwo42 This is my feeling as well. Very frustrating. I wouldn’t be complaining so much about the weather inaccuracies if the in game ATIS worked. It’s bad enough that I cannot really flight plan manually and then go into the game and test it because of weather inaccuracies but I cannot even really just get in the game and fly because the arrival airport will no doubt report “clouds at 1100, 4500, and 12500” and visibility at 3 or some such nonsense. MSFS 2020 is a game right now NOT a sim.

@Airecop that is really strange. I would post a message on a few of the Reddit subs and see if anyone else has had this problem. Because the only thing I can think to do is re-install. If you’re playing the MS Live version, I would try signing out of MS Live and then back in again. I know that fixed some problems for other players. It fixed my missing aircraft problems early on.

@BatsSwing579053 How can you tell how old the weather info is? I haven’t figured out how to do that.

1 Like