My thoughts after "calming down"

Umm…you clearly haven’t see this played with a 3090. If you think this looks the same on a console, you’re sadly mistaken. I’m looking at it right now with a 3090 on a 49" 4K panel. It ain’t close.

1 Like

:smirk:

1 Like

I’m in 2160 at 144. To each their own. This is lightyears ahead of console.

1 Like

Having grown up alongside “home entertainment systems” before pc’s were even common in homes, then through the “golden age” of pc gaming it will be a sad day when games are no longer made for that platform.

The pc has allowed a lot of innovation and risk taking in gaming. Even today it allows small developers and enthusiasts to create mods or indie games and distribute them for coffee money or just for the love of doing it.

A lot of this (possibly all of it) is lost once you lock it all up inside closed ecosystems.

I game on pc and on consoles, I always have. Each has its place and I enjoy both but I do not look forward to the day when the only games I can play must be played on one console or the other.

2 Likes

I’m a PC player moved across to Xbox. Without actual numbers, it’s hard to say if the dropoff rate of the console users will be any different to that of the PC. Every launch has its spikes.
The Venn Diagram overlaps quite a bit here, lots Xbox players have PCs; just like me. I played FS2020 on PC with a semi-capable setup, but I’d much prefer to play on a big TV & sound system and never have to tinker with settings or drivers. It’s not that I’m incapable, I’m a programmer by trade; so I can tinker more than most. I just don’t want to cause it feels like work. The beauty of the Xbox is that it just works; $500 and you’re good to go. Yeah I get there are some teething issues right now, but these things will be addressed. Everyone needs to chill a little, go for a relaxing flight and let Asobo work their magic.

3 Likes

Good takes. I went the other way. Console to a very capable PC. There’s something about the extra “work” that’s fun to me. It’s definitely frustrating at times, but I love what I’ve built. Happy flying, Everyone!

1 Like

That’s awesome!! It is a great hobby and overall, a great community and it’s tons of fun and reward learning everything about flight. Good flying, sir!

2 Likes

Thank you, ive always had a fascination for flight, i just didn’t realize how big it was as i have never explored it other than some really bad arcade flying games. Now after this released on xbox, i find myself looking up real flight schools and checking procedures and prices for a real pilot license. Its crazy. Im driving my gf nuts with this🤣 although she is encouraging when it comes to the real pilot license. I think she wants me to fly her around the world or something lol

I’ve found some really great and helpful guys in here who have pointed me in the direction of some good resources, and im going to try my best to stay away from the drama from now on and just talk to those guys, im not here to make enemies, rather the opposite.

3 Likes

You know (at least here in the states) that if you goto some of the smaller Flight Schools, you might get a free flight from the instructor as a ‘sample’ of what its like, of course you might get sat down in front of a pc running fs9 as well, but it doesnt hurt to go talk to a ‘real’ person and get a first hand view.

1 Like

Hi, this thread has lots of really interesting conversations going on. I want to share my thoughts about few topics.

I’ve been thinking about this niche thing for a while, and one thought is that maybe it has been niche partly due to lack of availability? You need decent investment if you start simming on PC, while back in the day pretty much every computer system there was had good number of flight sims to choose from, and joystick was common accessory. I wonder if this makes it currently bit more niche than it has to be.

What I’m thinking is that there has always been, and there always will be gamers that will fall in love with flight. But sim needs to be easy to access so they can find and experience it? Could that be something the exec might be thinking? Flight itself does most of the magic, you just need to bring it to people?

Don’t be embarrassed to say so, this is exactly in the heart of the excitement of flight simming. As far as I’m concerned, this is it! This is something I tried to formulate in other thread where I was thinking about proper training just so that as many people as possible would get immersed in the learning. And latest update did expand the lessons. And I continue think that this is far more deeper experience than trying to make missions to pass the time. Nothing wrong with fun missions though, FSX had great ones. But Xbox and PC pilot needs to be equally challenged to dive deep in to the simming.

About the SU5. Yes I’ve seen the changes in graphics etc. but one thing that doesn’t come up very often is the tree draw distance which had a bug in SU4 when flying up north, and that seems to be fixed, I tried to capture somewhat comparable image.

SU4 with bad draw distance

SU5 better

Settings should be the same. Taken just south of EFVA Vaasa Star airport (WU:Nordics)

1 Like

I have also noticed the same issues with pop ins and draw distance. I getting CTD when i was loading in a flight from the World map with photogrammetry turned on. As soon as i turned off AI Traffic the CTD stopped. Most of the current issues we are experiencing happened during the SU5 and X-box release. I agree the computer users is the bread and butter of MSFS and have been for years.

1 Like

Performance issues have not been fixed. They just traded graphics quality for frame rates. Same effect as if i would set it to medium. You probably do not understand the root of this problem as it seems.

I would say that there is a dichotomy (contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different) between your use of “performance” and “graphics quality”.

And anyway, everything is relative.

I consider it great performance that my lowly GTX 1660 TI (6GB VRAM) can push out 8 million pixels of graphics onto my Custom 4K Native 65 inch Display at OBJ & Terrain LODS = 9 each.

Granted, that is at 18 FPS.
But my WT CJ4 flies smoothly and responsively and the graphics are amazing.

I call that amazing performance.

2 Likes

I have a middle-of-the road PC and someday it will no longer be able to play msfs at an acceptable framerate and graphics quality. I am seriously thinking that at that point rather than upgrading my GPU, CPU, RAM, etc, I will just invest in an XBox instead. Moving to an XBox will get me off the constant treadmill of upgrading, downloading and tinkering, and take me directly into the flying. I think I can handle that.

Sound decision.

It is your game. Fly it like you want to.

Enjoy . . . .(You do know that that XBOX will need upgrading eventually)

I’m happy for you, but that misses the point. Ultra settings should be reserved for representing the maximum possible graphics quality without any compromises, which is not the fact anymore compared to the reference of SU4 and older.
For a lowend/mid range setup like yours it would be totally appropiate to play this game in medium settings and have decent framerates with sufficient graphics.
Ultra settings are not supposed to run on systems like yours, and the only reason they do now is because of the downgrade of the graphics.

Comparing setups: My RTX3080 in WQHD on Ultra is now rather bored most of the times. Having 70-80 fps in most scenarios (even big cities) on the first glance is “nice”, but knowing it was done on the costs of ugly popins, melted objects due to LOD changes or fugly clouds now i would rather prefer playing my sim with 30-50 fps again but enjoying the superior graphics that keep me motivated in this actually awesome piece of software.

To summarize it up: Ultra settings are called “Ultra” for a reason and should not have been cut down to former “medium” settings just to accommodate into consoles.

1 Like

You are so wrong.

I don’t know what they are supposed to run on and don’t care.

I am just content with my 4K Custom Obj & Terrain LOD = 9 graphics.
They are gorgeous.

I was wanting and planning to get a 3080 but now, I just keep telling myself, for what?

I know, I don’t have RTX, DLSS, etc. but I don’t need it to fly and be completely content with FS2020.

Dont know about DLSS but that 1660 will do RTX stuff, so will a 1080 ti.

Thanks, didn’t know that.

Thought the GTXs couldn’t.

You should see the Quake2 demo in RTX look great ran like well more like crawled like… ;p