My trip around the world

Something I always wanted to do with previous flight sims but as soon as you leave NA or Europe the quality was just never great enough to want to do it. But not this time, heading out in the blue for sure.

So my trip begins out of my home base of Rogue Valley Airport, Oregon. I started with King Air but I switched to the TBM after landing in Cabo, Mexico due to my belief that the airfile is incorrect. Making any slow-flying somewhat a pain. The TBM will still carry who is traveling with and has the range so it works.

I have a photo album on google photos you will find the link at the bottom of this post. Each photo has captions of what you’re seeing. My graphics settings are at High and I try to keep between 2k-4k feet above the areas of interest when possible for best picture taking. So they are probably not the best photos in the world. This is a for-fun project and if anyone wants to tag along by keeping up with the photos then cool. I will post updates as new photos are put up as a new post here. So following this thread will keep you notified when new photos are up. Below is the first part of my itinerary, I have flights planned so far as leaving North and South America and then nothing planned yet after that at the moment. But that will change as I get closer to the end of those first 40 planned flights. I have currently finished flight 12. And feel I have enough photos to start sharing now, about 100 or so.

Not all photos are of a famous worldwide site. Please don’t bother commenting on the flying, I am having fun while trying to take these snapshots, not interested in realism during those 30 seconds. So if you see something that is not right, I don’t care. There are a few stops on the way that serves no purpose other than picking up my planned virtual passengers or as a stop on the way somewhere else.

Sorry for the UI showing in the external plane picks, one day I will figure out the key to remove that and actually remember to do it.
If you have any suggestions of places to visit by all means suggest away.
The flights are in real time, real weather, new flight every other day or sometimes after a 2 or a 3 day stop. I plan on crossing the Atlantic by Nov 10th

Stage 1 North and South America 40 flights…

1. Medford Oregon to Portland Oregon vie Crater Lake - Complete
  2. Portland to Glacier Natl. Park Montana Via Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier - Complete
  3. Glacier to Yellowstone - Complete
  4. Yellowstone to Aspen - Complete
  5. Aspen to St George Utah via Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion Natl Parks - Complete
  6. St George Utah To Las Vegas Nevada via Lake Powell, Grand Canyon - Complete
  7. Las Vegas to Yosemite Via Death Valley - Complete
  8. Yosemite to Palo Alto California via Alcatraz, Golden gate - Complete
  9. Palo Alto CA to Tucson Arizona Via the Salton Sea - Complete
  10. Tucson to Cabo Mexico - Complete
  11. Cabo to Mexico City via Aztec Temples of the Sun and Moon - Complete
  12. Mexico City to Palenque Palenque Ruins. - Complete
  13. Palenque to Chichen Itza Ruins at Chichen Itza - Complete
  14. Chichen Itza to Cancun - Complete
  15. Cancun Mexico to Santa Elena Via Ruins at Tikal - Complete
  16. Santa Elena to Panama Panama Canal - Complete
  17. Panama City to Gallapagos San Cristobal - Complete
  18. Gallapagos to Cusco Via Machu Picchu - Complete
  19. Cusco to Santiago Via Lake Titicaca and the Atacama Desert ground writing - Complete
  20. Santiago to Cape Horn - Complete
  21. Cape Horn to Buenos Aires - Complete
  22. Buenos Aires to Rio - Complete
  23. Rio to Noronha - Complete
  24. Nornonha to the Mouth of the Amazon at Macapa - Complete
  25. Nornonha to Canaima VA via Angel Falls - Complete
  26. Canaima to St. Martinique Island - Complete
  27. St. Martinique to Turks And Cacos - Complete
  28. Turks to Montego Bay Jamaica - Complete
  29. Montego to Nassau - Complete
  30. Nassau to Havana - Complete
  31. Havana to Orlando via Key West, Everglades, Miami Beach - Complete
  32. Orlando to New Orleans - Complete
  33. New Orleans to Austin - Complete
  34. Austin to Chicago - Complete
  35. Chicago to Niagra Falls - Complete
  36. Niagra to Pittsburgh - Complete
  37. Pittsburgh to New York City via Washington DC - Complete
  38. NYC to Gander Intl Canada - Complete
  39. Gander to Narsarsuaq Greenland - Complete
  40. Greenland to Reykjavik Iceland - Complete
  41. Reykjevik to Edinburgh Via Loch Ness
  42. Edinburgh to Cork, Ireland via Isle of Man, Cliffs of Moher
  43. Cork to Dublin via Blarney and Rock of Castel
  44. Dublin to London via Stonehenge
  45. London to Paris
  46. Paris to Poitier via Futurerama
  47. Poitier to Bordeaux
  48. Bordeaux to Marseille
  49. Marseille to Barcelona
  50. Barcelona to Madrid via Ferres Aquaduct
  51. Madrid to Lisbon
  52. Lisbon to Seville
  53. Seville to Grenada
  54. Grenada to Gibraltar

The photos can be found here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dDpEXEdc2qmpq9Lu7

9 Likes

Awesome , Good luck and keep us updated!!

Nice! I’m doing the same and we might have passed each other in Oregon! But you’re definitely taking the scenic route: all the way round the Americas? Are you planning to go round the entire coast of every continent?!?!

You might want to try mapping a button/key to the drone camera, then you won’t have the UI in the way. I’m not sure if there’s a key to hide that - I certainly haven’t found it.

See you somewhere in Africa, maybe. I’m going round in the other direction.

Yea this is more of a site seeing tour that also goes around the world lol. So while not really circumventing all the continents it just so happens with the Amazon right smack in the middle, there is not much to see other than around the edges in South America.

I noticed there was a drone but have not played with it and not sure if I will, not sure how I feel about that. I accept taking pics from outside view only because in real life a better picture from inside is far easier than in the game, inside the cockpit.

We might cross paths again I think I will be in Africa for most of the Northern Hemi winter and then cruise back up to do northern Europe and move on through Asia, IDK. Dont have anything planned yet after I land in Iceland in the first week of Nov…

1 Like

Pics are updated, have flown through Mexico and Central America, now landed in the Galapagos. Will post pics of the islands when I do South America pics in a week or two.

This looks like a really fun idea! :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

The area west of Nairobi, Kenya, and down that valley and then east to Kilimanjaro is a pretty flight you maybe want to do when you’re by there. :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

I do plan on going to the mountain for sure. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Halfway through what is planned so far. Added pics for Panama to Rio via down the South American Pacific coast and then up to Rio. Had a few adventures along the way. Sitting now on a beach in Rio thawing out the rest of the way from being so close to Antarctica. It may be spring down there but it is still cold and weather can be violent.

New pics added, all of South America and the Carrib. is now done. Sitting in Havana for a few days smoking cigars, drinking rum and eating good food, before I head back into the states and up the Eastern half to make my Atlantic crossing. 10 flights and I will be sitting in Iceland, wondering were to fly to next. So guess I better start coming up with another good handful of flights/places to go.

Before I begin my flight back into the U.S. compiled some stats of my journey so far.

Miles flown: 20933mi.
Fuel used: 6750 gallons
Time: 74 flight hours
Flights: 30
Times I said WTF? : 4
Times I said holy cow look at that: Countless
Times my plane got flipped over on Tarmac by 300 knot winds on Gallapagos: 3

2 Likes

I’m doing a round the world as well, but with the mooney lol… Work is definitely getting in the way.

Merci pou ce beau Tour du monde !

New pics posted, link in OP
Just landed in Iceland. The Americas are complete except when I make my way back into North America from Asia. Will spend a few days hanging out and figuring the next stages of my journey. Will probably skip Europe proper after doing the British Isles and just head down to Africa for a few months during winter and come back and do the rest of Europe in spring. But will take a few days to come up with the plan. I will post here.

Have the next 14 flights planned will be starting tonite. These 14 will take me thru the British Isles and Ireland, France, Spain and Port. I will then cross into Africa at Gibraltar and spend the winter months there, returning for the rest of Europe in spring. But the Africa legs are not planned yet.

1 Like