Native C-17 can't start engines (apart from number 1)

I am hoping someone might have a solution for this, I got the C-17 last week and it was working fine for me until Friday, no problems earlier in the morning but a few hours later I suddenly find the engines wont start, engine 1 starts when it switches to engine 2 it just keeps spooling up then dying, I can see the start switch moving in and out but it wont fire up and none of the others will start. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it but the problem still exists. I don’t understand how something can work fine and then stop working in the space of a few hours, I have not made any changes to my community folder or any of my peripherals.
I tried contacting the dev and posted on the flightsim.to forum but so far have had no response so maybe it is just something affecting me. If anyone else has this problem have you found a way to fix it?

Try using the earch function, there’s loads of articles about how to get the throttles to work properly again after SU7.

There’s no problem with the throttles (I’m using the Honeycomb bravo throttles) I have been lucky that I don’t seem to have had any of the throttle issues that others have experienced, it is literally just the engine starting. The only way i could start the C-17 was clicking the engine ignition switch and then it seemed to start each one automatically, but it doesn’t work now, not even CTRL E works.

You need to start external power or the APU if possible. Which C-17 there are at least 3 that I know of. Destroyers121; UkMil Version based on 747 cockpits; Converted Virtavia’s FSX one floating around illegal.

The only APU that I know works is the UKmil version. Don’t think Destroyers121 version works. Yes, I fought this last night, and don’t remember if Ctrl+E was solution I used. AP in it is not complete, FMS is also dark.

Sorry I should have stated, I thought there was only 1 native C-17, so to be clear it is the Destroyer121 version. and you are right the APU does not work, the whole engine start procedure must be incorrect as I am sure like you say you would have to turn on APU or GPU is available and fuel pumps/valves but it was just a case of clicking the ignition switch. , I prefer it as at least the cockpit does resemble a C-17 cockpit even if there is quite a lot that does not work, most of the AP works it is only the NAV mode I couldn’t get it to follow my plan. It is still a work in progress and I would rather stick with it than use one with a 747 cockpit so I am hopefully the engine start problem will bee fixed at some point, but if its only me experiencing it I don’t think there is much the dev can do.

No, think there is a lot wrong with it, but cannot argue with the price. Just try Ctrl+E and see if that does it. Tried two flights last evening from KPDX to KNFL, in MSFS and FSX, and both planes just dove into ground. Believe some conflict between them. So, from now on, between versions going to restart PC. Think it’s something to do with the trim knob. And that does not work very well in any plane in MSFS.

If you are using Honeycomb yoke, check the start switch, it may need to be on. I had a similar problem with multi engine aircraft.

Thanks I will give that a go, I am using the yoke, well using a joystick for the C-17 as it feels a bit more authentic but use the yoke to control the battery and lights, still cant get how it worked fine earlier the same day and no changes made to my system.

No joy with that but thanks for the suggestion, anything was worth a try.

Ok, I will try it again later on this evening and see what I can come up with, it did take me like 10 minutes to get them to start, believe if you go to overhead panel and play around with the switch above the starter buttons that did something. I will check again and let you know.

1 Like

Click on the overhead switch labeled “engine ignition” that starts them, it started all of them for me. You must turn on battery first, hard to find, left side Overhead, toward bottom. Have fun.

Yes that’s how I was starting them before but now only engine 1 starts, battery is turned on, I use my yoke for that but it does turn the battery on i see the switch move and the displays come on.
I think I will just have to give up with the C-17 which is kind of annoying seeing as I had it for a few days and really enjoyed flying it.
Again, I appreciate you taking the time to help.
Maybe the next update will fix it.

It works on mine. Have honeycomb TQ unit, and battery switch is not bound on it, I manually turn on. Try closing the rear cargo door too before, maybe that is the ticket. I will look into this this evening and see what is what.
FWIW-There is the UkMil one on Flightsim.to as well. It’s a pig to fly, like 747, which its modeled after, but 90% of all the switches and buttons work, fuel valves below the throttle quadrant area. It doesn’t steer worth a hoot, but all of it works, it’s also freeware. I got both on PC but trying to get destroyers121’s to work better. So I am glutton for punishment, I guess.

I have the honeycomb throttle and yoke, I use the battery switch on the yoke.
I will wait to see if there are any updates, the UKmil one does not appeal top me with its 747 cockpit even if it does work. may as well just fly a 747 :slightly_smiling_face:
The fact it works for you leads me to believe its something to do with my system but as I have already said, it was working fine, i took her for a few laps around the Mach loop, and landed back at RAF Valley, parked up, shut her down and exited the sim, a few hours later I was going to show my friend a demo of it, and that’s when the problem started, yet I made no changes to my system and was doing everything i had done before which previously worked. Does not seem to have affected any of my other aircraft. I’m going to do an experiment to see what happens if I start on runway, maybe that will be the only way i can get to fly the C-17 if it works.

Ah yes, the kiss of death.

Me: Honey, let me show you your parents house!

Sim: CTD

Me: :neutral_face:

Well it looks like I may have solved the problem, I started on runway and all engines were running, restarted from a parking spot and tried again, all engines started up, I’m going to do some experiments now to see if I can recreate the problem, one thing I did do different is start from a different parking spot, could it be something as simple as that, I hope so!

All - I do not know if this will work for you. When this version of the C-17 was released a couple weeks ago, it was “only” every time I tried to fly in it, the game CTD’ed for me. Using event viewer, I determined that this file “VCRUNTIME140.dll” was the culprit. Here is what I did.

1. I moved the bad one to my desktop, CUT or MOVE do not copy.
  2. I then uninstalled MS C++2015 for both 32- and 64-bit versions.
  3. I restarted the PC, yes, you will get lots of errors, but the OS will load.
  4. Download and then reinstall MS C++2015, both 32- and 64-bit versions, available from MS website.
  5. The C++2015 creates a brand-new file, and that fixed the issue for me.

I believe (Know actually) lots of different program’s access that .dll file and write to it as well. Hense that is why it got corrupted; I think. Once I get new file, downloaded latest discord version and plane works just fine. Wayyyy long shot, but it does not work now so no loss if you try this.

Thanks, that sounds bit complicated for me, I thought I had fixed it with my starting of on the runway first and using a different parking spot but nope, back to square one :unamused:

:rofl:it’s funny, because it’s true!

Well I suppose I can at least fly her now just means I have to start from the runway.
Strange that it did work once after the runway start but when i restarted it, nope, tried the runway start again the another restart to start up at parking, nothing.