NAV not working since Sim Update 5

Anyone else’s NAV not working since the update? Any workarounds?

Unfortunately not having any problems.

Let’s start with which problems you’re encountering and we’ll see if the community has any insight for ya.

Sure thing - I select my departure and arrival airport on the world map to set the flight plan (Direct in a Cessna 172 G1000). I take off with flight plan loaded in GPS and Comms on AI. Once in the air to straight out pattern point, I engage auto pilot and set altitude, etc. Then, I hit NAV and the plane doesn’t follow the nav path like it did prior to the update. I uninstalled the G1000 add-on from the marketplace, and still have the challenges.

Dumb question but worth asking: do you have GPS mode turned on?

It’s possible to have the GPS loaded but not activated as primary navigation source.

I’m also having issues with the NAV function not following the GPS. for me the aircraft turns in the opposite direction and after a few miles it turns around and starts following the plan. This happens to me
not only when the working title G1000, G1000x or GX3 is installed, but whit some planes that have support for any of those. Also it doesn’t follow the magenta line but stays to the side of it through the flight.

Hmmmm. I agree with trex5365. Let’s start simple.

Is there a magenta line on your PFD’s heading indicator?

If it’s green, try hitting that CDI button and change it over to GPS.

1 Like

This, I think is a known bug, but is different than what @ExplorerST was reporting.

Yes - GPS indicator is displayed as nav source.

The line alternates between white and magenta - ordinarily, prior to update, whichever was the active “leg” would be magenta.

No no, that’s your MFD.

Look at the screen directly in front of your yoke.

At the bottom, should be a heading indicator represented like a compass. It should have either a magenta or green arrow.

Magenta arrow

1 Like

It’s because in the SU5 update the Flight Planner has inserted some automatic waypoints (Time climb, Time descent, etc.) that were not there before. They cannot be deleted at this time. Look at your Nav Log and you will see them. There is a bug report on this please vote on it.

5 Likes

What happens when you turn on Nav mode, FD and AP?

Does anything engage? What pitch and roll modes are displayed above your PFD?

Next time you get in the sim, send a screen shot here of what you see when this breaks down.

Okay, so we know you have the correct CDI. That’s step 1.

Next you should follow ReliableSteam82 and trex5365’s advice

That means you’re using the stock Garmin G1000, which really hasn’t changed that much since August '20 launch.

Try using the G1000 NXi again - version 0.2.0 hit the Marketplace about an hour or so ago. Much better stability for basic NAV using GPS.

As far as the plane on the MFD and following the magenta line, you should see a marked improvement in NXi. In the stock Garmin, the zoom knob is broken, so the default zoom level will always show own-plane adjacent to the active segment leg. It always required zoom-in or zoom-out to get it to appear overlaid.

1 Like

Oh good to know - thanks so much. I’ll try again in just a bit. Additionally, I’ll add some screen shots when I’m back at the sim later today. Thanks to all for the help!

1 Like

Anyone have a black background on MFD after NXi 0.2.0 upgrade? Seems to be working, just no map.

I’ve this a few times. If you zoom out it’s not so bad :rofl::rofl:. I’ve used heading mode to get on track then flip back to nav mode and then it follows the magenta line.

Is that the caravan screenshot? Have you tried the pms50 GTN750 ?

We’re victims of a new ‘feature’, the planner inserts time waypoints in your VFR plan without consent.

Someone has decided that we obviously can’t takeoff from a runway and turn direct to the first waypoint at the same time, so they’ve come up with an idea to extend the runway centre line and place a hidden (from your flight plan) waypoint at which you then turn to your first leg of your flight plan and done the same at the destination.
Reasonable thinking but entirely inflexible, as you can’t delete what you can’t see in the flight planner.
Of course you could fly IFR to avoid this, but that’s not possible with the standard ATC because of the temperature bug that reports the wrong flight level!
The only way is to fly direct to the destination with a ‘Direct To’ input in the flight planner once airborne or use radio Nav or heading mode to follow the magenta line :wink:

1 Like