(NDU registry change) Increase performance immediately! AMAZING!

Disabling the NDU registry might help because NDU will no longer be scanning for new devices all the time. This saves both computational power and system resources like memory usage.

To disable NDU -

Open the Registry editor app again and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/Ndu.

Find and Right-click on the Start option and click on Modify.

Change the value from 2 to 4 and click on OK.

Now, restart your computer and check if the Windows 10 high RAM usage issue persists.

If youā€™re unable to use the internet after changing the NDU values, revert to the default value, i.e., 2.

==========
Original Link from @Mikebuch87

see Part 8 here in this page -
https://www.easeus.fr/partition-manager-tips/haute-cpu-usage-et-fuite-de-memoire-de-windows-10.html#part8

2 Likes

Just finished KLAS to KMIA, KMIA to TXKF, then TXKF to KBUF in the F35B in the same session(4:08). Once again, the ā€œfixā€ worked. We may have a winner here. More testing to comeā€¦

2 Likes

I can confirm the fix worked for me. Complete a 3+ hours long flight without stutters nor fps degradation.
Flying the latest A32nx DEV version.

2 Likes

Another way to start/stop ndu rather than editing the registry?
to disable Windows NDU, follow these steps.

1. Enter the following into a Command Prompt: sc config ndu start=disabled
  2. Press Enter.
  3. After you enter that command, reboot your computer.
12 Likes

Now I am getting a little confused. Is NDU=4 the solution, or deleting pushback toolbar?

Good post also does the NDU fix only apply to those that have metered internet connections and or is the so called memory leak a recognised bug by Asobo/ Microsoft?

I donā€™t use the pushback toolbar. Iā€™ve only adjusted the NDU.

1 Like

Changing NDU from 2 to 4 did not work for WIN11, CTD 20seconds past Checking for Updates.

I have WIN 11 (insider program) and itā€™s working fine on my end

According to an expert mentioned earlier here, NDU also bound those USB port ever-checking services behind. To most of us get significant improvement in the smoothness, even you didnā€™t aware drop-to-5-fps or the memory leak bug now as in Sep2020.

Itā€™s supposed to resolve a memory leak that may occur due to NDU, regardless of metered or unlimited internet connections.

sorry, OT, may I know if Win 11 is working still fine with some support .exe commonly work with MSFS?

• Navigraph simlink;
  • FSUIPC7
  • others good freeware e.g. LittleNavMap?
    Thanks

Yes to all

2 Likes

Not unthinkable if youā€™re towing a banner behind a cub :slight_smile:

Dear OP, thank you for sharing this. I will try this and report back.

I also want to say that performance has been bugging me so much that I spent the whole weekend testing different configs, with and without AMD tuning.

Ultimately, what really worked in terms of getting rid of stutters (for the most part, subjectively like 90% gone), was simply:

1. Leave the Nvidia settings at default, apart from the global settings adjustment for 3FPS lower than my monitor refresh rate.

2. Set sim settings to Ultra.

3. Increase render scaling to 105.

4. Set Vsync to On in-game and set the value to 20.

5. Delete and turn off the Rolling Cache.

Thatā€™s it! This is what worked for me and othersā€™ mileage may vary with this approach. However, for me, now the experience is amazingly smooth and stutter free and stable.

From the experience I gathered across my almost 12 hours of testing, sadly I did not record clearly what I did for review and reference and I wish I had, the stutters seem to come when the sim is limited by the main thread. Hence the objective of tweaking and optimizing for anyone, should be to lower the framerate (using in-game vsync, Nvidia frame limiting and vsync didnā€™t help as much as ingame vsync) and increase the load on the GPU until the sim performance is relatively limited by the GPU.

Everything else is at default settings, along with game mode turned off in Windows settings. Along with this my CPU is tweaked with AMD overclocking so that gets better performance in both single and multicore workloads (objectively measured with benchmarks).

For reference and anyone whoā€™s interested my system is:

Ryzen 5800X - PBO optimized, stable and regularly boosting to 5Ghz and sustained at 4.85Ghz on the primary cores during flight sim.
Nvidia 3080 - Gigabyte Gaming OC - Stock config on OC vBIOS
32GB of 3200mhz CL 16 memorry (8x4) overclocked-stable to 3400mhz CL15
32GB Fixed size page file
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - System Drive - MSFS installed on System Drive
All Nvidia Settings at Default except global framerate limiter to 117FPS
3440x1440 G-Sync Capable Display (120hz)
Windows tweaked to be clean and light with all non-essential services either disabled or set to manual.

Donā€™t think your issue is related to whatā€™s discussed here, must be something else.

I have a question: Does that mean now because I have USB graphics cards for the instruments. That will no longer be recognized after the start/restart?

I did a 7 hour flight (multiple legs) and the NDU switch did not help at all. I still have stutters. I donā€™t necessarily get lower fps but the stutters get worse! CoherentGTUI Thread seems to be the stuttering source for me (not the Main Thread) and my understanding is thatā€™s mostly related to the addons (correct me if I am wrong). I my problem is most likely related to FBW (development version) so I will have to try the MSFSA320 to be able to confirm for sure. I have a powerful system so itā€™s very disappointing to see this much stuttering in the game!
I9-12900KF, RTX 3090, 64GB DDR5 4400MHz, ā€¦

1 Like

Made no difference at all to my system, Glad it has helped some people.

That is the most disappointing bit - you invest heavily in a rig, put your time and effort to tweak it and still it is stutteringā€¦and you donā€™t know what can be done to improve the situation.

It is now how other games behaveā€¦ ! really disappointed with MSFS

5 Likes