Need help to know how will MSFS work on my PC using Quest 2 & OpenXR (Pc specs on the description)

Hello, I’ve bought a few months ago the Quest 2 VR Headset.

PC SPECS:

• i7 8700
  • RTX 2060 6GB
  • 16 GB RAM

I’m thinking about buying the game to play it with and without VR but I want to be sure that will work fine on my pc, what do you think ?

I’ve been reading that OpenXR gives you a better perfomance but I thought first asking here to be sure that it can work on my pc and will be playable enough to enjoy and have a good expierience on the game.

I am thinking of buying it through Microsoft Store.

Thanks, I will wait for your replies =D

EDIT: SEP2023

PC SPECS:

I9 10900K
RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
32GB RAM

//I will update new info soon maybe ingame settings screenshots and more, trying to get 40 - 45 FPS AVG//

I don’t think you’ll have a good experience in VR with those specs, even for simple GA planes. Probably better to stick to 2d.

You can just get a gamepass sub for a month to try it super cheap.

Okay, I’ll try then probably first 1 month with game pass and try with and without VR. I have a basic Joystick from thrustmaster and I tried once but it was a while ago. VR will have to wait while I think of getting an upgrade on my PC like GPU or RAM.

And one more question is it any Flight sim that you know that could give a good/playable VR experience?

Thanks.

I agree. The CPU is just OK, but for VR the 2060 (and especially its limited 6GB VRAM) will be an issue. Can you do it? Yeah, but I don’t think you’ll be happy.

Yes, I was conscious about the VRAM probably to have a best experience ity should be 3060 I think 8 or 12GB right ?

And thanks for the answer I will buy it for non VR because I think I will enjoy it too =D

I have an old xeon 5670 at 2.6 (turbo at 3.2) and a 2080, and a quest 2 and 24 GB of DDR3 ram.

I shoot at 37fps with open xr.

No excessive jerking, no more stuttering.

Correct sharpness, I play between Taa and Dlss in MSFS depending on the scene.

Basically it’s very good and paying a fortune for now to get a little more sharpness or 5 fps more is not worth it for me.

I’m waiting for MSFS to make big progress, quest 2 is of course full of games in FS (I’m up to date on asseto corsa or project cars 2 in VR) in a very good way.
It is therefore from home that there is still work.

Its good to know then, thx I will try at least many ttimes with Open XR and Oculus and see what I see better.

Thx for the comment =D!

And one more thing I’ll look also for another FS or racing sim on VR =D

I’d love for you to come back and tell me you’re happy with the Oculus and your computer!

To be honest I’m very happy with both of them becaus I’ve been playing Half Life Alyx and works great! =D

1 Like

Excellent! Are you going to take the MSFS VR plunge? You can always play in 2D mode if it taxes your system too much. I would highly recommend a TrackIR in that case. I love mine, but Im looking forward to the added immersion in VR everyone tells me about. Still waiting on my prescription lens inserts…(fingers drumming impatienly on table.)

I will play it 2D and I will see maybe just try VR in a future, what do you think getting Deluxe edtion ? I think its a very good option

I run a Pico 4 using an RTX3060. To be fair, it does run okay once you’ve sorted out the settings but trying to get a balance between micro stutters and good graphics is a challenge. As Pico 4 is a standalone and needs Steam, the Quest might be a little better but I think a 2060 will be a huge disappointment.
Going to save my pennies and upgrade the GPU card when I have enough.
PS - Just got my prescription lens inserts and although they don’t improve the graphics they do make the sim in VR more comfortable rather than my varifocals and the spacer.

1 Like

I think it’s absolutely doable and you’d enjoy it. The visceral feel of sitting in a 3D cockpit with the landscape flowing by down below is so much more immersive and satisfying than staring at a screen, in my experience. Of course if you prefer flying airliners over small planes, that might be irrelevant as you’re looking more at your PFD than out the window. :slight_smile:

I do have a 3060Ti so a bit better than your 2060 but I’ve got most in-game settings at High on average, some even on Ultra, so if you reduce that a bit, you could make it work.

I don’t have the time to walk you through all the tweaking and tinkering you’d need to do to fine-tune your system, but I can give you a few key pointers that might help you:

• Set Oculus Link resolution to maximum
  • Set Oculus Link refresh rate to 72 Hz
  • Use Oculus command line interface to set ASW to 30 (this sets the frame rate at one third of the refresh rate, so 24 fps. (This may seem low but it’s enough for a non-combat flight sim)
  • Use same CLI to set the FOV to something like 0.85, 0.85 (play around with this until you can’t see the black frame anymore)
  • Windows Game Mode OFF, HAGS OFF
  • In-game settings:
    • DLSS Performance (or even Ultra Performance once Asobo has updated DLSS to 3.1)
    • Play around with the graphical settings. Start with everything at Medium. Do some research on what each setting does. Most important: keep these at Medium: texture resolution, volumetric clouds. Rest can be reduced or increased as needed or wanted.
    • Set Terrain LOD to 50 to start with (affects CPU)

You can try OXRTK but I actually stopped using its fixed foveated rendering, so I’m mainly using it to improve the image with post-processing settings and some sharpening. Maybe leave this be until you’ve made it work without. Its FPS counter is very useful though for optimizing your settings.

At the end, if you’ve still got headroom, you could use super-sampling in Oculus Debug Tool or CLI (pixel bla bla override) to increase sharpness.

There’s probably more but I can’t think of anything. :slight_smile:
Main things to know is that it takes time and effort to get it working on your particular system. That’s been true for everyone on here, to the extent that some have given up on VR altogether. In my opinion it’s still worth it though, because when it works, it blows your mind. :slight_smile: It takes patience, time and a lot of research in this forum or other places online to learn more about the things I wrote here in much more detail.

Good luck!

1 Like

I have Ryzen 5 3600, rtx 2060 32gb ram and taking 30+ fps details high with dlss

1 Like

Hi,

Just to give you some idea of performance,

2 years ago i7 3770k ivybridge 1660ti, could get into VR bit of a slideshow but with low settings in the xcub in mountains (ie not busy cities) it gave an idea what VR is like compared to 2d… at that point I was sold on VR. Openxr toolkit plus other advancements to help VR wasn’t available then so experience might be better.

Very quickly upgraded to a second hand 1080ti and very quickly a 5800x, VR substantially better but still not perfect but certainly passable experience especially in a GA plane and using open xr toolkit

Current system 5800x3d and 3090, obviously VR experience significantly better

A few considerations… I don’t suffer from any negative side effects of VR even with slide show experience which can be a side effect for some users , I’ll never go back to 2d and will always persevere with VR and changing landscape of effect of future updates which is the main reason for upgrading/investing in pc over last 2 years

Other things, get a recommended cable off amazon to connect to PC with high data transfer. Going wireless will require a 5ghz router as opposed to usual 2.4

Consider upgrading ram to 32gb, lots of cheapish 32gb ddr4 3600 on ebay at moment

Gamepass is a good shout for 1 month trial. Do you have a joystick or yoke to try out MSFS20?

Your first consideration is if flight simming is for you as it;s a considerable investment/outlay

Hope above helps

Well l, first of all thanks a lot for or the info and I will for sure check out the amazon cable link options and buy it as soon as possible because I think it could be a very great buy for my VR experience. And yes I do have a Joystick, I’ve been playing Elite Dangerous and enjoy it a lot on PC.

Then about Flight sim games I wanna begin on this adventure and now I can afford it so I will probably go for it.

And again thanks a lot for all that you said on your reply!! =D

I will check it all and try it! thanks for explaining it helps a lot

And I’ve reading and the more I read I know it can be a long process to have good configuration but I will have patience and dedicate time to it. I already but a link cable that I think it will help me a lot, because we have many computers, phones, tv through the wifi, so the best option its to have cable link for a fast connection.

In a week or less I’ll get gamepass and give it a try to MSFS when I get my link cable and start setting up everything. I’ll Update all here then you’ll see the results :smiley:

I hope you get the experience you want. VR may require plenty of power for good performance but a lot comes down to how resilient you are to low fps/stutters. Thankfully I’m not affected, which meant when I first got into VR with a 1070 in Elite Dangerous I was hooked rather than put off.

If you’re still looking for a VR flightsim that requires less power than MSFS does you could give iL-Sturmovich a go. Yes, it’s a WW2 based combat flight sim but you don’t have to fly combat sorties and it looks great even after many years. It may be enough to scratch the VR flight itch if MSFS is too much for your system in VR.

As a warning: here’s how it goes with that first step you took a few months back.

1. Buy HMD …just to try it out.
  2. Love it
  3. Upgrade a few components
  4. Buy whole new PC
  5. Buy better HMD
  6. Buy another PC
    Ad infinitum

This cycle is broken only by the tweaking and research into potential tweaks for the best VR experience. Almost as addictive as a tube of Pringles.

Hope you enjoy it 3D, but if not like it just as well in 2D

:grinning:

3 Likes

I’m at point 5 in the VR lifecycle😂

Not sure how to justify a new headset!

1 Like