Need tips on keeping the plane stable after touchdown

Usually right after my main gear touches down and before my nose gear touches, the nose swings around, I think, usually to the right, but sometimes left, even in calm winds at idle, and I need to make a lot of corrections to get back on centerline. I’m in the TBM 930 and my approaches are good and I disengage AP about 500’ out and all seems to be well until touchdown. I did notice that the rudder trim defaults to slightly right of center when starting flights, presumably to counteract the p-factor of the prop, and I never mess with it. Wondering if I should bump it to center before landing. Would love some feedback. Thanks.

1 Like

I get the same thing in the 152 and 172. Plus ground handling is pretty atrocious in both. I’m able to control it somewhat with a lower amplitude sine curve for both the rudder and wheel brake sensitivity settings.

2 Likes

Yea like you guys I have difficulties also. Don’t think anyone can give you too many tips on this as it seems like ground handling, especially at touchdown, is not that great yet in the game.

2 Likes

ground handling needs fixing its killing the feels for me

1 Like

I very much doubt rudder trim has anything to do with it.

I don’t think I really have an issue in calm weather either but it is easier to land with both mains touching down at pretty much the same time then.

It could be that both mains do not touch down at exactly the same time (it can be hard to tell by looking at an external view, especially when there is no accurate replay) so I’m wondering if there is a bug in the air to ground transition where when the first wheel touches it adds a lot of drag and pulls the aircraft’s nose around. That would mean that the wheel drag would basically be either on or off and not based on the weight on the wheels.

In light aircraft and in some crosswinds you can certainly veer off the runway if you aren’t careful but I find the sim much more squirrely than real life but I’ve only flown tiny two seater aircraft so I’m not sure what something the size of the TBM would feel like.

you mean like this?

3 Likes

Good point. It could be possible that I’m tilted slightly when my mains touch down. I’ll be mindful of that and see if it helps.

Fortunately not that bad…lol

The only tip I can provide is make sure the plane is just at stalling speed when you touch down and be prepared to add rudder. If I remember it always goes left? Maybe reduce the sensitivity of your rudder also so more input doesn’t result in a jerky motion. I’ve done that and although not realistic does overcome the poor programming of the developers.

2 Likes

Have to admit I’m not too sure what that looks like. I have my axis sensitivity at -40 for plus and minus with a 5% dead zone on my crossfire pedals

1 Like

I’ve seen that one before. I would have been considering a go around at around 16 second. At 25 or so seconds, definitely.

But no, in the Jabiru or the Sportstar, if I start going off center I’ve never had a problem getting back on center quickly even in fairly strong crosswinds. Because of the runway layout where I fly we really only get bad crosswinds when we want to practice them though. I love doing crosswinds, it is my favorite part of flying unless it is too gusty, then it can get a bit hairy.

In the sim I sometimes over correct so I do a sine wave. Part of that could be because we don’t have the same sensations when we are in a real plane.

1 Like

I think -40 is a lot isn’t it? The problem with a big curve is that once you hit a particular spot in the pedal travel the sensitivity will go through the roof. So you need to keep it as linear as possible so that it can be predictable.

I had fairly big curve on mine on the initial release but now I just use defaults. I think I probably do need to adjust mine though so I’ll have to have a look at the newish curve setting facility and see what I can do with it.

this is fs2020 to a T!! Why oh why does this happen. I dread taxing take off and landing. Its ridiculous.

1 Like

you mean like this?

2 Likes

Have you tries unplugging your controller ? I have had to do that because the rudder was drifting badly.

For me, I apply brakes ASAP and then use rudder to make correction. It can’t totally solve but reducing the problems.

I had that too and I solved it by increasing the null zone on my joystick for left/right axis. Any distortion from your controller is going to swing the plane left or right.

The transition from the ground to flying or flying to the ground is totally jacked up somehow. I suspect it has to do with how winds are applied and perhaps “low winds” vs “ground winds.”

Take the flaps up asap. It will help ground roll. Not very realistic but it is a workaround

Thats amazing he saved it. Those winds had to be strong you can see him putting in that rudder hard and he was struggling to get the aircraft to respond. Looked like he was gonna nail the landing until he just ran out of time and came down so hard.

Also amazing the amount of stress that gear can deal with. Amazing engineering really.

1 Like