New Crystal Owner- Confusion over all the Software Settings Overlap

Hello,
I just got a Pimax crystal and it is working well with MSFS. I had to install the Pimax XR Control center, OpenComposite tool, and OpenXR toolkit. However, I am struggling to understand how all these tools work together and in particular, which tool controls what. For instance, how do these settings interact with the similar settings in the OpenXR toolkit in game:

pimax

Is the Pimax client’s render quality slider done on top of whatever OpenXR and MSFS settings are doing? Both tools have settings for Foveated rendering- which one takes precedence? Is smart smoothing in Pimax client the same as Motion reprojection in OpenXR toolkit overlay?

I would like to get a better understanding of all this as I also want to tune other games in VR. Any guidance would be appreciated.

First and foremost: For MSFS you don’t need Open Composite, which is OpenVR to OpenXR translator. MSFS is OpenXR application and doesn’t require such translation. OpenComposite has a high potential to mess up your VR setup.

Regarding Foveated Rendering:
To be sure you have the DFR actually enabled:

1. Enable Eye Tracking in PimaxClient.
  2. Calibrate Eye Tracking in PimaxClient.
  3. Enable PimaxXR in PimaxXR - OpenXR Control Center.
  4. “Allow use Eye Tracker” in PimaxXR - OpenXR Control Center.
  5. Enable Eye Tracking in in-sim menu of OpenXR Toolkit.
  6. Enable Foveated Rendering in in-sim menu of OpenXR Toolkit.
  7. Play with OpenXR Toolkit Foveated Rendering Presets.
  8. Expect circa 10% FPS increase due to Foveated Rendering (no matter Fixed or Dynamic) in MSFS.

I prefer FFR over DFR as in DFR I can perceive shimmer at the edges of the resolution rings which follow my gaze. Theoretically DFR allows more agressive setting for FR, but for me the FPS boost from these setings is below +4% (max +2 FPS) so I stick with FFR. But I still use Eye Tracking for the Almalence digital lens plugin (works with DX11 only in MSFS with PimaxXR).

Set Render Quality in PimaxPlay to maximum and then apply (if needed) the Resolution Override in OpenXR Toolkit.

For OpenXR toolkit - read the excellent manual:

and you will learn that Motion Reprojection setting in OXRT is only applicable to Windows Mixed Reality headsets (like HP Reverb G2) so this option does nothing for Pimax Crystal. You can enable SmartSmoothing in PimaxPlay but it will work only if your FPS is consistently above 1/2 headset refresh rate (36 FPS for 72Hz, 45 FPS for 90Hz or 60 FPS for 120Hz). It may be difficult to achieve such FPS consistently (I can see strobing in white areas for 72Hz, so for me the minimum refresh rate is 90Hz), without reducing resolution in OXRT, so I’m not using SmartSmooting (I also don’t like the “jelly bean” artifacts SS produces).

For PimaxXR there is another excellent manual:

If you want to understand how Motion Reprojection works read posts by @mbucchia in this thread:

For more Crystal related information go there:

or there:

3 Likes

Thank you for the detailed explanation and tips. I will eliminate OpenComposite from my setup and have followed your settings guide.

For DFR, is it possible to test if the DFR is working properly? Such as by looking at an instrument on one side of the cockpit and then another one etc?

Finally, is the Motion reprojection setting in the MSFS VR graphics settings menu something completely different than smart smoothing in Pimax client? I have it currently set to off.

Theoretically DFR should not be visible, this is the whole point of DFR - you can render in high resolution only part of the screen on which you are actually gazing. The rest, on which you are not looking via your fovea, can be rendered in low res.
But you can play with cull setting in OXRT to make the moving circles visible. Personally I can easily spot DFR working as annoying shimmer at the edges of the resolution circles, which follow the gaze. This is why I don’t use DFR.
For motion reprojection settings in MSFS just read the post by @mbucchia which I linked. In short - they don’t do much.

I had never heard of that before but according to their Web site, it looks like it is no longer available to the public.

Thanks for the setup details!