New Crystal Owner- Confusion over all the Software Settings Overlap

First and foremost: For MSFS you don’t need Open Composite, which is OpenVR to OpenXR translator. MSFS is OpenXR application and doesn’t require such translation. OpenComposite has a high potential to mess up your VR setup.

Regarding Foveated Rendering:
To be sure you have the DFR actually enabled:

1. Enable Eye Tracking in PimaxClient.
  2. Calibrate Eye Tracking in PimaxClient.
  3. Enable PimaxXR in PimaxXR - OpenXR Control Center.
  4. “Allow use Eye Tracker” in PimaxXR - OpenXR Control Center.
  5. Enable Eye Tracking in in-sim menu of OpenXR Toolkit.
  6. Enable Foveated Rendering in in-sim menu of OpenXR Toolkit.
  7. Play with OpenXR Toolkit Foveated Rendering Presets.
  8. Expect circa 10% FPS increase due to Foveated Rendering (no matter Fixed or Dynamic) in MSFS.

I prefer FFR over DFR as in DFR I can perceive shimmer at the edges of the resolution rings which follow my gaze. Theoretically DFR allows more agressive setting for FR, but for me the FPS boost from these setings is below +4% (max +2 FPS) so I stick with FFR. But I still use Eye Tracking for the Almalence digital lens plugin (works with DX11 only in MSFS with PimaxXR).

Set Render Quality in PimaxPlay to maximum and then apply (if needed) the Resolution Override in OpenXR Toolkit.

For OpenXR toolkit - read the excellent manual:

and you will learn that Motion Reprojection setting in OXRT is only applicable to Windows Mixed Reality headsets (like HP Reverb G2) so this option does nothing for Pimax Crystal. You can enable SmartSmoothing in PimaxPlay but it will work only if your FPS is consistently above 1/2 headset refresh rate (36 FPS for 72Hz, 45 FPS for 90Hz or 60 FPS for 120Hz). It may be difficult to achieve such FPS consistently (I can see strobing in white areas for 72Hz, so for me the minimum refresh rate is 90Hz), without reducing resolution in OXRT, so I’m not using SmartSmooting (I also don’t like the “jelly bean” artifacts SS produces).

For PimaxXR there is another excellent manual:

If you want to understand how Motion Reprojection works read posts by @mbucchia in this thread:

For more Crystal related information go there:

or there:

3 Likes