New Freeware DH104 Dove

For fans of freeware, there’s a rather nice De Havilland DH-104 Dove just released on Sim OutHouse by Rob Richardson. It may not have all the bells and whistles, fidelity, or ultra sophisticated quality of the top commercial aircraft addons these days, but it provides De Havilland enthusiasts with something different and unique to explore the MSFS world in.

I applaud Rob for bringing this to the sim. I cannot comment on the flight characteristics yet because I took these images just after my first take off and wanted to share the news. BUT, it’s always good to see something that can provide an aura of aviation of the past, and remind us of a simpler age of both flight and life.

I will add more screenshots to this specific post as I spend more time with the aircraft.

32 Likes

That looks really nice from the screenshots, thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Yes, its definitely good to see one of my all time favorites in the sim.

Has anyone found how to tune the ADF or to switch the standby and live VOR frequencies on the radio control panel? That doesn’t seem to work for me. Otherwise its fine.

Absolutely love the Dove! So glad to see it in MSFS. Timing couldn’t be worse due to work but I am eager to give her a go! Kudos to Rob for creating such a beautiful rendition, gutted I can’t fly for a while.

Now to complete the dream, I wonder if @AlexBap8588 fancies modding this to perfection like his 18!

Glad to see it. I know from experience that the author is extremely sensitive and does NOT tolerate anything less than praise for his models (as in, no bug / issue reports no matter how minor or well intended, nor does he tolerate user modifications), so we’ll enjoy the model as released. In any case, again, glad to see it and use it.

2 Likes

This was my go to aircraft in fsx. I loved it. I assume it handles the same in 2020 if not then I’ll get used to its little foibles.

I loved Just Flights Dove and Devon in P3D. Will give a try this one.

1 Like

Nice! I will add this to me growing collection of DH aircraft.

1 Like

Is there any other place to download? I can’t seem to find a way to register at Sim OH.

Looks like they disabled the registration page for some reason, but you can contact the site admins about that from this form: Contact Us - SOH Forum

The aircraft developer is not fond of widely releasing his addons, and in fact wasn’t too happy that it was even mentioned here in these forums. Not really sure of the reasoning, but regardless perhaps you can get in contact with the site admins.

1 Like

The SOH forums are moving to new software from the creaky vBulletin board they’re currently on, so that might be why new users can’t currently register.

I think the hostile and entitled reactions by a certain segment of the MSFS audience to any plane that doesn’t meet every 2024 visual standard is likely why Rob’s wanting to keep the add-ons to the established group of historical aircraft fans at S-O, but that’s purely a guess, and not from Rob, who is ever the gentleman and hasn’t expressed that.

Meanwhile, though, I hope y’all can experience it soon because it’s a beauty.

4 Likes

It’s back online, with a small update.
Here’s an overview of my paintwork for it so far:
PH-FST(00006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

SE-GRA(03) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

176 (00001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

D20(00001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

cal-neva (00012) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

MAB(00001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

these are all on fs.2, this will be soon:
Screenshot (10781) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

4 Likes

The Dove/Devon is one of my favorite types. Absolutely loved the ones that Just Flight put out previously. I’d reaaaaaly like it if they remade them for MSFS, or someone else of course. This is a nice effort, but… I’d pay good money for a really nice payware version.

1 Like

Would love to see the designer extend this to the Heron! That type was flown by some US regionals.

This is an absolute corker, spent most of the evening sightseeing in the Alps, highly recommended…

1 Like

I’ve updated my paint of G-OPLC with a few texture tweaks including custom interior and new prop textures…Updated file available to download at FS2

I’ve also uploaded an upscaled texture set for the Dove, which should also become available on FS2

7 Likes

here’s a few more paints from me for this lovely model, all on FS.2:
MAD(00007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

CF (00005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Eyja(00005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

TP46 (00010) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

4 Likes

Another paint now available from me on FS2…A Dove masquerading as a Devon C.2 in the colours of the Royal Aircraft Establishment…

5 Likes

if you still have room in your hangars, a few more paints from me, all on FS.2:

DHA(00001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

db (00006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Screenshot (11265) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

G-AKJP(00000) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

3 Likes

For any of you Dove lovers frustrated with the vor and adf radios, there’s a fix available from Appollon01 via the Sim Outhouse forum… https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/134576-Dove-for-sale!-544-careful-owners/page6

1 Like