New Geforce driver finally fixes stuttering in VR!

That might explain why some users see a benefit and other not (or the opposite).

I’m on a 3090 so probably better with HAGS on then…

Hi, was the cumulative update preview recommended above.

As said have an 10% fps drop with this. Tested it three times. Uninstall 471 driver first, back to 466, fps stay low, uninstall windows update fps come almost back.

471.11, 3080, G2, Game Mode on, HAGS off, OXR default (80%) and motion projection off, FS2020 RR 100%, mostly high / some ultra settings = smoothness, especially at lower FPS. :grinning:

92fps with a GT1030, zero stutters, thanks Nvidia !!!

Admittedly that’s only @ 1280 x 720 (with Renderscaling 100%) with everything else as low or off as possible, in an easy on the system Pitt against a blue, blue sky at 8000ft.

But I am impressed :slight_smile:

edit: after updating windows and turning off all options in the pause menu I briefly got up to 105 fps

This gave me an extra 10 fps

Have you tried setting up a custom resolution to match the monitor’s?

Is’nt OXR default 100%?

No, OXR default is automatically set based on VRAM.

i’m on 2070. You have to understand…i have around 40 fps (low-medium intensity airport) at 2000x2000 (per eye) with HAGS off, but with HAGS on that same area gives me around 20-22 fps, that’s what a big difference it is for some of us. But a lot of 3xxx users seem to benefit from HAGS. So when it kills your fps that much, stutters are the least of your problems all of a sudden :smiley:

Sounds like an brilliant idea! You only know what is better when you know it :smirk:

I really like to see direkt comparisons for the different settings/cards.

I see an clearly decrease in clarity even when reducing OXR to 95%. So I always stay at 100%, trading in some fps but for better visuals.

2080Ti here. With HAGS ON, I got 1 FPS. HAGS OFF, It was a bit smoother. Still working on it

Did some testing today. Tried HAGS on first, as some posted that it doesn’t work without it - no significant changes. Workable, but the same amount of stutters as before. Then tried HAGS off, and I think it’s smoother and maybe few more FPS (I don’t monitor but if motion reprojection looks smoother, it means there is more FPS headroom). I also changed to 2VR frames in Nvidia Control Panel for testing, and disable SMT in BIOS. So not a clean experiment. But I did several landing challenges in Japan and other sparse and dense places, in different planes, including airliners, and it’s the smoothest I’ve had so far. 3080 / 5900X / 64Gb RAM.

Disabling SMT may give a bit more headroom to CPU, but previous testing didn’t show any noticeable results just from that. Unfortunately SMT off on AMD means there is no sleep mode anymore, only full shutdown. So it’s not convenient to constantly keep. I guess it shouldn’t have made much of a difference anyway…

2 Likes

Have made very similar observations. HAGS on increases stuttering with reprojection on, while with reprojection off it doesn’t make a significant difference, maybe 1-2 more FPS. I think it’s because with reprojection on, there’s a lot of crosstalk going on between CPU and GPU, and HAGS increases this even further and creates a bottleneck maybe. I can see this in the GPU monitoring, if the bus load goes up, FPS just tank down into a stuttery mess.

I think changing the pre-rendered frames to 2 made it a bit better, but that might be placebo and related to some other random reason, it’s all very difficult to reproduce.

SMT off did and shouldn’t make a noticeable difference other than loosing the ability to use standby.

5600X, 3070, 32GB

1 Like

The argument for SMT off is that while it doubles number of threads, there is a little overhead to this, and MSFS is basically a single-core game. So that little overhead taken off every single core could make a bit of a difference. I did test it before and didn’t see any improvement. I just mentioned it because that was one of the changes I made. I reverted back to SMT on, because it’s not practical to keep it off, but haven’t flown since. Hopefully, this will become irrelevant with the DX12 update that should in theory let MSFS use multiple cores.

1 Like

yeah that’s why I don’t change/try/test to much now - because everything will change in a few weeks

1 Like

What is SMT?

SMT is simultanious multi threading, the AMD equivalent of Intel Hypethreading.

An update on my take on HAGS: for me HAGS off resulted in more stutters - nothing huge, but 1 or 2 regular stutter per minute, which is enough to be a pain when it’s that regular. I don’t have that issue with HAGS on (although I’m not 100% stutter free either).
That’s with an i7 8086K OC @5Ghz, RTX 3090 32GB RAM and an OG Vive.

1 Like

Smt and hags off is better for me and openxr preview off (3090 5800x G2 60hz). What’s been bothering me for a while is the scenery kind of shifting back and forth now and again, it’s not stutter or judder and the openxr graph shows i’m well within repro territory so it’s got me stumped.

Sorry but it doesn’t fix the stuttering issue. It just fixes stuttering on Steam when a monitoring software is running in the background.
This is not the same.