New KAP140 Autopilot MOD - fixes problems when using external controls or keyboard

The standard sim implementation of the KAP140 does not always have correct display when external controls (Honeycomb Bravo) or mapped keyboard entries are used in place of mouse for entering autopilot mode changes. Download here - Releases · FS2020-USER-TESTER/KAP140-MOD-PACKAGE (github.com) . A descriptive readme.md file is available inside the zip at this address. There are some core autopilot issues that are noted in the readme.
This mod is useful for aircraft with KAP140 autopilot display including Cessna 172 Steam, Justfriends Edgley Optica, Pilatus PC6, or Aerosoft Twin Otter.
User-published Mods cannot be used in Xbox.

7 Likes

I’ll try this out, very interesting.

I’ve got the Honeycomb Bravo and the LogitechG Multipanel (Auto Pilot.) I like the Logitech panel, because in aircraft that have the KAP-140 it seems to work better than the Honeycomb Bravo’s AP.

Installed the KAP-140 mod. Tried it on the DHC-6 and Milviz PC-6. Seemed to work just fine.

I hop in the BN-2, and it “sorta” works. It is quite possible that I am doing something wrong procedurally. I was able to kinda fumble my way through with the default AP, but I have a feeling I’m now lacking knowledge with the KAP-140 mod. I don’t seem to have an issue after takeoff when I’m climbing out - (before takeoff I dial in my altitude into the Logitech Multipanel) I make sure the Garmin GNS530 has the CDI switched to GPS, I switch on the AP through the Logitech Multipanel, then I poke the “NAV” button, then the “VS” button, switch the selector knob on the left to “VS,” dial in the vertical speed I want, and watch.

Tonight was strange though - as I neared my cruise altitude of 10,000’, the AP didn’t switch over to “ALT” mode and capture the altitude. It kept climbing right past where I wanted to be. I thought maybe I had done something in the wrong order, so I changed my altitude that was set on the Logitech panel, switched the selector knob on the left to “VS”, punched the “VS” button on the Logitech panel, then used the right knob to dial in my descent rate. … except she kept climbing.

(Oh, and notice how the KAP-140 buttons in the BN-2 aren’t lighting up?)

Now to be fair (any Letterkenny fans in the crowd tonight?) I didn’t fly around in the DHC-6 or PC-6. I just kinda messed with the AP on the ground, and it was responding like I was expecting.

I’m really confused at this point. I don’t know if it’s a procedural error on my part, something wrong with the KAP-140 mod, or something wrong with the BN-2 - or a combination of all three?

I think tonight before I head off to bed I’m going to see if I can find any KAP-140 videos on YouTube.

Would it be possible that your honeycob mode selecter was still in the ‘vertical speed’ selector setting? It does maintain a VS-climb profile when not changed back to for instance ‘heading selector’.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I’ll be trying this one too.

I believe I can explain some of what you are seeing.

1. The real world KAP140 does not have a VS button. When AP is on, the KAP140 is in one of 2 modes, VS hold or ALT hold. When the AP is turned on the AP automatically programs the current vertical speed. This can be exited into ALT hold by reaching the target altitude or hitting the ALT button. When ALT is canceled with the button, the AP returns to VS with value of 0.
    So ALT button toggles between Alt hold and VS hold.

I do not see any problem created by hitting the Bravo VS button, but this should not be needed.

When the autopilot is first turned on does the logictech show VS?

Well only to be clear, it’s not the bravo VS button but the VS Mode Selector dial.

1. If you adjust target altitude while in VS up or down, take care to avoid the target accidentally equal to current as the AP will drop into ALT hold. Hit ALT again to return to VS once the correct target is displayed.

2. I suggest avoiding turning on the AP on the ground as a routine test. Every plane I have tested shows elevator trim runaway in that situation. I believe this to be a core bug as it also is seen with G1000 C172. If you do a test, check elevator trim again before TO.

1 Like
  1. Yes, the onscreen panel buttons do not light. I have not come up with a fix for this because the button textures are on the airplane designers control.
1 Like

I am seeing another problem entirely with an Airplane that has both KAP140 and G1000 (w/o AP inside) - Milviz PC-6 Porter. For reasons unknown some of the extern mapped AP adjust commands are just lost. For example My Bravo cannot adjust target altitude up or down and also VS down is blocked but not up. Depends how I map the commands. I discussed with Working Title but they deny their Javascript has anything to block controls. I assume it must be in the Airplane XML or in the core AP. Problems with keyboard mapped commands too. Strangely directly hitting the AP buttons with mouse works correctly. And the KAP140 js just sends Sim events same as the external controls.
I think people with G1000 are focused on the mouse so maybe this is OK.

Thank you for reading and replying!

I have a “Complex Twin” configuration in MSFS for my Honeycomb. Speaking of which, I need to rename it to like…BN-2 specific! :slight_smile: A week or so ago maybe, I went through that profile and cleared the button mapping for all the AP controls on the Bravo. The lights still light up, so now I gotta make a BetterBravoLights airplane specific config to NOT light them up.

I will try a little more testing this evening and maybe shoot some video with my cell phone to show you all what’s happening.

Am I understanding correctly that what should work is setting the altitude in the AP before takeoff, then taking off, and my current VS will be matched in the AP when I turn it on?

You know to be honest on what the Logitech is doing, I’m going to need to write down steps I can follow tonight hahah :smiley:

Ah, ok. Thank you! So … would it be correct to descend from cruise:

• Pitch down to desired vertical speed.
  • Dial in the altitude to the AP.
  • ?
  • Profit.

Joking a bit there - but if i’m descending would I want to set the alt in the KAP-140, pitch down to my desired vertical speed, and then engage the AP?

Jeez look at me being a responsible community member and grouping everything in one reply, @Hester40MT :wink:

@jjbzflight Ah, ok. I thought I was losing my mind or something with the lights! Thankfully they light up on the Logitech AP. Thank you so much for your post, your work, and your replies!

(Edit) Well, it’s 0812Z (2213L). I didn’t get to fly like I was hoping to this evening. All of the non-MSFS activity got in the way. I shall try again tomorrow after work! I wanna get this KAP-140 mod figured out!

1 Like

Ok - took me longer than I thought it would to get a little simulator time.

Tonight I flew from PHSF on the Island of Hawai’i to NPS, which is the old Naval Air Facility at Ford Island in Pearl Harbor on O’ahu. I fly real weather and time, and I usually don’t get to fly until the sun is going down out here, so I do a lot of sight seeing in the dark. :slight_smile:

Before I took off, I dialed in my altitude in the KAP-140 mod. After takeoff, I pitched for roughly the VS I wanted, and punched the AP button on the Logitech Multipanel (AP.) Right after that, I hit the NAV button and took a look at my gauges. Lo and behold, she was climbing out at the VS I had roughly set. All I had to do was flip the input selector knob on the Logitech to “VS,” and then tweak the rate to the number I wanted. I didn’t touch anything after that with the AP on climb. It captured the altitude, and we were on our way!

The challenging part about flying into NPS is that the airfield has been closed (either since the late ‘90s or early 2000s…too tired to look it up at the moment) - no lighting there. Fortunately the runway is a dark strip with lights on either side.

Descent worked fine as well. It’s probably not correct, but I first turned off the AP, then spun in the altitude I wanted, pitched over to get the negative VS roughly where I wanted it, turned the AP back on and re-selected NAV mode (it automatically knew I had a new altitude I wanted and captured the VS I was descending at.) - worked fine!

Lol it’s now almost 1600Z (0600L). Couldn’t even finish the message I was so tired! :rofl:

Any tips on how to fine tune my use of the KAP-140 Mod? I just realized I should probably trim the aircraft to the ascent / descent rate I’m looking for rather than just hauling back on the yoke. :man_shrugging:t3::man_facepalming:t3::crazy_face:

Got too excited as KAP is the airline code for Cape Air!

1 Like

KAP Flight # 140! :slight_smile:

Sounds like you mastered VS control. Your procedures will keep the pilot in the loop and avoid surprise movements. I did not make any significant changes to APR, or REV processing but might as well test that too.

Capture of the LOC and GS seemed to work in my testing. Some airplanes have a seperate NAV1/NAV2 selector for AP but most are locked on NAV1. And using vertical guidance from the GPS approach procedure is still somewhat controversial. IRL this requires separate equipment certification which probably not generally available for GTN530 or GTN750. Therefore one recommendation is to hand-fly the RNAV as a series of step-downs. If you want further investigation, dial up a RNAV approach and see what you can get working.

Thanks for the test report. BTW - what aircraft did you test with?

1 Like

Most welcome! I love that there are so many gadgets, gizmos, and bolt-ons to MSFS. The base sim is good, but man when you start adding stuff like your KAP-140 mod to the mix, it comes alive! Allows an enthusiast like myself to really sink myself into the procedures and experiences, even if it’s “just” virtual flight…without having to constantly battle my horrible motion sickness. :face_vomiting:

Lately I’ve been flying back and forth between PHNG (MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii), and PHSF (Bradshaw AAF, Hawaii). PHNG has a handful of approaches to rwy 22 - RNAV, TACAN, and a (controller directed PAR/ASR?). The approaches to rwy 04 are all visual, and because of the dominance of the tradewinds (from the NE) out here, that’s usually the runway in use. PHSF has one approach, an RNAV to rwy 09. (it’s also up at 6190’ elevation, so takeoffs in recip engines can be interesting.)

Lately I’ve been almost exclusively flying the BlackBox Simulations BN-2B-20 Islander. That’s one reason I was so excited in your mod - several of the planes I like have the KAP-140 (or MS’s approximation) equipped. LOL, of course then I load up RNAV approaches… for my… plane that has no idea what an RNAV approach is. :rofl:

Going to see if I can implement the “trim to VS instead of hauling back on the yoke and trying to mash the AP on button at the right time” method tonight. We definitely have airports out here with ILS approaches, so I’ll try out the LOC / GS as well and report back. I gotta look back through the thread and / or do a little reading, 'cause I’ve never had that option with the KAP-140.

Oh - skipped over the APPR, REV comments. Yes - I will see if I can do a little more formal testing of the mod over tonight and the weekend and report back.

Posted another update here - Releases · FS2020-USER-TESTER/KAP140-MOD-PACKAGE (github.com)

1 Like

Interesting development I need to check into a bit. Downloaded the v0.105 update, removed the old install, put the new one in, etc.

The only thing that has changed in my setup is that now I’m using SPAD.neXt as I got some of the little Logitech FIP LCD panels, and to nobody’s surprise, the default Logitech software is poo. I think though that the profile I applied to my setup kinda “took over” what MSFS was sending to the KAP-140 from my Logitech Radio Panel. Hoping to look into that tonight after work.

New release with improvements - Releases · FS2020-USER-TESTER/KAP140-MOD-PACKAGE (github.com)

3 Likes

Just want to express my appreciation!
Using your mod with the new Milviz 310R and Honeycomb.

Works like a charm, thank you very much sir!

1 Like