New Microsoft Flight Simulator Interview With Jorg Neumann: GOTY Edition/Reno, Plans For the Future, Marketplace Issues, Updates, & More

Last Friday I had another interview with Jorg Neumann, and I asked him all sorts of questions as usual. So here it is (shared with permission from the community team).

Of course, we talked about the GOTY Edition and the Reno Air races with some interesting behind-the-scenes details on how and why they were made.

We also talked about Jorg’s analysis on the success of the simulator and how it gives him the ability to provide content for free or very affordable to simmers, the current marketplace bottlenecks and when they expect them to go away, the update process of the sim and how future updates will be much smoother (touch wood :D), the reasoning behind the future update calendar, the improvements to weather, and more interesting tidbits. We even get a couple of teases about what we’re gonna hear tomorrow at the Q&A.

As usual, I hope you all find this interesting. Jorg’s great to talk to, and his passion is certainly visible :smiley:

52 Likes

Can’t wait for the Antonov An-2 to be released! :grinning: :+1:

7 Likes

You and me as well :smiley: Will be a nice Christmas gift to myself.

2 Likes

What exactly is GOTY ??

1 Like

“Game of the Year”

It’s a reference to some “best simulator of 2020” awards the sim got from shows and media, I guess.

I always found this kind of naming for editions a bit silly, to be fair. There are so many awards nowadays that nearly every game can claim to be “Game of the Year” for someone :joy:

2 Likes

Ah OK. Thanks

I appreciate the interview, but I like the optimistic point of view. However words speak louder than action. We just wait and and see…dont get me wrong I love the sim…but at end of the day like every other sim its Corporate…Is MSFS meeting my needs at the moment, not really. But My needs are so different to other simmers, Just wait and see. To be fair they promised so much on release which has not worked…so not a first of the queue to say well done, pat on the back. Like I say great sim…but dont promise what you cant deliver.

Pitch forks out now

3 Likes

Great read! Man the future is so bright!!

2 Likes

Very nice interview I really appreciate the passion that Jorg and the team have in this . The future looks very promising. Thank You for the well done segment !

4 Likes

It is “Game of the year” awarded to previous titles such as “Batman Arkham Asylam”, Eldar scrolls V Skyrim" , its not an award just for flight sims, its a awarded to games of the year, it is a very prestigious award.

My biggest takeaway was that SU8 will be used to fix bugs. Hopefully bush planes and achievements are included in that plan.

1 Like

It really is not nowadays. There are literally hundreds of “Game of the Year” awards from various media and organizations. There isn’t an “official” Game of the Year, and all have semi-arbitrary assignment methods, so they’re not worth a lot.

They’re a nice way to honor the hard work of developers, but little more, and certainly have very little objective value.

Add to that the fact that most of them are journalist voted (as one who does the job, I know very well) and that 99% of journalists don’t have a lick of expertise to judge certain technical games, like flight simulators or racing simulators, and you get the gist.

3 Likes

Did you not read my last "words"its a very “prestigious” dont think it needed that TBH

I did, and my answer is that it’s not, but anyway, we’re going off topic, I guess.

I’m fairly sure that all outstanding bugs are included in that plan. They have over three months, after all.

3 Likes

Ok but thats just here say TBH, your right we are going off topic. My apologies…for not being a fan of Asobo or being friends of Jork…I am a customer at the end of the day. END OF. Sorry not believing your interview…and say how wonderful everything is…Follow the yellow brick road…

Folks, it’s okay to disagree, but let’s please not turn this into a fight.

5 Likes

Yes! Jörg had actually spoke to SU8 in the Developer Q&A last month, as well. As Abriael mentioned in his article, there is another Q&A on the 17th (which is either today or tomorrow, depending on where you are) at 18:30Z on twitch.tv/MSFSofficial.

2 Likes

Right in the middle of my “daily news are slowing down, I can sleep a bit” nap. I hate you all :joy:

7 Likes

Great interview, as usual. I like Jorg, he seems to be a cool bloke.

3 Likes

He really is. He’s one of my two favorite developers to interview.

2 Likes