New Monitor Choice?

Epic!

Assuming you have the space for it!

Are the smaller Samsungs as well regarded or is that 49" a bit of a unicorn?

Can u post some in Sim pics of the Crg9 ? Want to see what it looks like . Is the view in the VC all Distorted in the 49” like it’s all bowed out looking directly out the front main window screen ?

1 Like

RainbowYard349 - Thank you for pointing this out to me. My wife ordered it off of a U.S. military exchange website last week when Amazon had them for $1,500. Hopefully, you will hear from me by next Friday! :slight_smile: Much appreciated!

I bought the Alienware Dell AW2721D. 1440p. GSync Ultimate and HDR. I like the design and features. 1440p looks very good especially if you increase render scaling. Your card would be powerfull enough to run it in high/ultimate mode and increased render scaling. Not sure about the processor though… Even my Ryzen 7 5800X bootle necks from timre to time. My Graphics Card is 3060-ti.

The AW3821DW looks pretty darned juicy!

Anyone have opinions on IPS vs VA in the context of MSFS usage specifically?

Yes I’m narrowed down to Samsung 49” crg9 & Alienware 38”. I’ve never had a VA panel ever for flight sim . I’ve been a ips user . That’s why I’m nervous about buying the Samsung . Anyone have any additional intel?

1 Like

I have a question for my brother who doesn’t use this forum (yet). He also is gonna purchase msfs2020 this month . His question is he can only upgrade 1 item to his pc now. 2nd upgrade probably won’t come till Fall 2021…these items are EXPENSIVE !!! . He has a 3440x1440 IPS monitor and a Gtx1080ti (11Gb). He wants to know which is more crucial for the upgrade now . His monitor or his GPU? Will his 1080ti work on a 49” monitor or does he need to go with the upgrade GPU first but won’t see a major difference on his current monitor ?

He’s upgrading a monitor with specs like that?

Why?

Physical size? Refresh rate? Change to VA?

He has a LG 34” monitor , 60hz refresh max. He has 4 black spots on the monitor . I’ve seen how it looks , I don’t know if it’s dead pixels but he used the calibration and also used microfiber cloth to see if he could gently press on the spot and work the pixels . They are the size of quarters , the biggest is almost silver dollar . 1 of the quarter size is directly in middle of screen . They are blackish grayish spots totally noticeable . He asked me to ask, should he upgrade the monitor now and live with the 1080ti till end of year (if he goes 49” will the 1080ti handle that size monitor . He was also looking at LG 49”) …Or should he upgrade the Gpu now (2080ti , 3080, 3090) and deal with the spots on his monitor till end of year . The spots are definitely noticeable in the VC of his p3dv5 . Very bad

1 Like

I’ll try to get some screen shots later on and will post if I can.

Unfortunately the screenshots are waaay too large to post here. Not sure how to get around that.

Out of those listed, I would go with the Alienware 38”. Mainly because I much prefer the ultra-wide 21:9 aspect ratio over the crazy-wide 32:9. Still high resolution, but not as demanding as the others. Plus Alienware has pretty good support and return policy for dead pixels. It is also G-Sync Ultimate certified (has an actual Nvidia chip for native support, vs just standard g-sync compatibility). And great build quality and stand (with decent tilt / swivel / height adjustments). If those last 3 items aren’t that important, the LG 38GL950G-B is another good 21:9 worth considering. I think the Alienware can be found around $1400. Dell is quick to give out a 10% off coupon if you sign up for their newsletter, or ask them on chat. Plus 2% from various cash back sites.

Here’s a decent youtube on the ultrawide thing.

Personally, I think for productivity purposes, ultrawide is much more useful compared to multi-monitor setup.

But if I want “immersion”. I still can’t shake the problem of missing vertical space. I know the video mentioned that you won’t get any missing vertical space, but instead it adds more on the horizontal space. I still doesn’t feel the ratio is quite right for immersion for me.

For flight simming, or any other cinematic games for that matter, I would prefer to use a 16:9 BFGD monitor and position it in a way that it can fill both of my FOV while having my neutral center line of sight on my sitting position to fall exactly in the middle of the screen. That way, I get both filled horizontal space in my vision, while also getting the vertical space as well.

1 Like

Not a 2080ti unless he gets a bargain on a second hand one. The 3070 is half the price, has virtually identical performance for normal rendering and far better performance for RT and DLSS at the expense of slightly less VRAM.

Generally speaking though he may be better waiting for the “ti or Super versions” of the 3070 or 3080 as they will allegedly have a bit more VRAM.

The 1080ti should be OK at 4K, you may just need to back off a few settings from Ultra or lower the rendering scale a touch.

Basically buy the monitor now and see what GPU prices and specs are like once the graphics market settles again.

Hey - have been following this thread. Any feedback on the G9?

It’s on sale at the moment, or I wouldn’t consider it.

The other monitor I am considering is the Gigabyte 34” G34WQC from Newegg for about $450 and waiting on the next gen vid cards and a g9 v2.

If anyone has that Gigabyte 34”, would love your feedback. Seems like a steal, though you do get what you pay for. However, I will be running a Reverb G2 for VR, so I think the Gigabyte 34” is a better companion monitor.

Very interested in your experience!

No feedback yet. I’ve been waiting on my R7 5800x to arrive but should be here tomorrow morning. I don’t think you can go wrong with the G9 though, it’s a beast!

1 Like

Hard choice for both of us . Sounds like my brother is goin with a monitor over the Gpu . He will wait for the new gpu’s to come out and wait for the price fluctuation kick In when the overall gpu market changes when they arrive .

As for me I’m stuck still hard choice . 49” odyssey , 49” CRG (massive price drop sale on Amazon crg9) or Alienware 38” ?

I can’t make up my mind. Only thing deferring the 49” is the wide view aspect . Will it look terrible . I also have NO Intention of playing MSFS ON 4K . Heard it’s poorly optimized and is a FPS hitter

I saw an open box 49er from Samsung yesterday. Compared to the G9, the biggest diff to me is the curve.

For a 49” with 1800 or 1500, the screen is really wide and it’s hard to see the screen edges from a normal viewing distance. The tighter curve of the G9 makes the screen smaller width wise by a few inches, and also brings the corners closer to your eyes.

The lower end Samsung 49s are attractive. Especially priced similarly to the Viotek. But, I think that curve is super important for sim and immersion purposes. That wraparound style really has a home here.

Edit: can someone with an Odyssey G9 measure the distance between the mount legs? On the crg9, the mount legs are approx. 32” spread apart at the widest point. That would leave plenty of room for 2 x 12” mount blocks between the legs. But I don’t have the same info regarding G9.

Thanks!