New Monitor Choice?

My biggest question is the distortion with 49” . People who have a 49”, is the VC distorted like look horrible ? I don’t want it to be all bowed out like this video of this gentleman’s 49” . Look how horrible it looks in the VC of default 747-8i .

When he pans out to takeoff , it looks horrible . But before he throttles up it looks good . Maybe it’s his own personal preference setting he set ?

I suspect most of that distortion is not there in real life. have a look at the keyboard that is all warped as well.

He seems to have set his phone or camera to a superwide angle view to get it all in the shot.

Ok! Think I’m pulling the trigger on the Samsung Cg9 . It’s a -$500 on Amazon sale . Alienware is $1500 38” and Odyssey is $1400 . I don’t like the curve on the odyssey

If you are thinking of the Samsung 49’…make sure you are looking at the 1440p version if your budget and GPU can take it. The extra vertical res lets you see more of the instrument panel etc.

The second video posted is the 1080p version of the Samsung, despite being labelled as 4K…which it is not. The vid I posted earlier gives you a much better idea of what to expect IMHO.

If I didn’t already have this monitor, I would consider the G9 because of the greater curve.

Yes. The Crg9 is the 5120x1440 resolution. Are u not liking your CG9 ? Is it hurting your eyes ? Making me think of getting the odyssey for that sole purpose now, The curve . My current monitor sits on a desk table which is 5-1/2 ft wide x 3-1/2 ft depth

I have the 1440p version of the Samsung and as I’ve said, I’m very happy with it. I’m not a gamer or a hardware expert, but the specs of this monitor match many dedicated gaming monitors in smaller sizes and I’m guessing would suit the needs of all but truly competitive gamers. The response time and refresh rate are will beyond what any flight sim will be able to use in the near future.

I said I would go for the G9 over this one only because I “think” that the greater curve would be even better. The distortion or “fisheye” drives some people mad, but I found once you get over that by using it for a while, you don’t really even notice it. Most of the time while flying you are concentrating on the center of the screen and the outer portions that are distorted just add to the immersion.

I switched to the wide-angle for x-Plane before MSFS was around. I had been using a 3-monitor system that was great, but it was a huge performance pig because of the way x-Plane works. I would go back to 3-monitor in MSFS if that ever becomes an option because short of going VR, it’s the best option…180 degrees…wing tip to wing tip…no distortion!

Now u got me guessing again

I bought the Odyssey G9. So far I love it. There is definitely a distortion though. The wide field of view is really nice though because when you’re on downwind you can see more out the side without constantly panning left and losing orientation. The distortion is worse in FS2020 than in x-plane, because I can do more precision FOV settings in x-plane. Pretty awesome monitor though, I can’t really think of a better set up and I’ve wasted a lot of money trying lots of things… I’m pretty stoked on my 5800x + RTX 3070 with this monitor.

Would u say the CRG9 would be close to comparable to this odyssey ? Minus the odyssey deep 1800 curve ? The Crg9 is still curved

The 1440p version of the Samsung CRG9 will be functionally equivalent to the G9 except for the lessor curve. Some of the specs differ but not in any way that will make much difference in MSFS.

I would imagine that as support for multi monitors and triple screens come, we will get some more support for ultra wide angle screens.

I received my Samsung LG49G97TSSNXDC last night. It seems to work fine with racing and flight simulators. I’ve only put about 2 hours of sim time on it, but so far there have been no obvious issues. Everything looks good to me. I will try it with a TrackIR5 soon. For reference, I’m running a 8700K @ 3.7 Hz, 32Gs, NVidia 1080Ti. Hope this helps…

1 Like

Dang I like it !!!

1 Like

RainbowYard349 – Yes Sir! This is very nice!

I was able to fly a solid hour and a half of low level flight (less than 1500’) and 10 touch & goes at my local airport with no issues with the monitor or my PC. I have most of my settings set to Max or Ultra.

One thing that I found is, I will have to watch where I want my default eyepoint to be. As with previous flight sims, when you zoom in and out , or move side to side, the picture will stretch or distort a bit - this is even more pronounced with the ultra wide screen. I have gone into the aircraft cfg’s that I can, and reset where I want the eyepoint to be, and I have no problems with stretching or distortions during normal operations.

I will set up my TrackIR5 tomorrow and see how that works. On previous sims, I had no problems with distortions or stretching using the TrackIR5 even with bigger head movements. I’m hoping that I will have the same results on MSFS 2020.

Also, there are reports of these monitors getting hot enough where the plastic begins to creak and pop as it expands and continues to do so as it cools when turned OFF. Mine seems to be “mildly” warm to the touch and have had it ON for 6+ hours at a time. I’ve yet to hear any noise at all from mine.

One other item that might be of interest is, if your eyes are getting a bit old like mine are, you will have to increase the font size on any apps or programs. This thing is HUGE - so huge that the lettering on webpages, spreadsheets, etc. are tiny. Here’s an example of what my general PC looks like now.

For reference, I ended up paying $1,350 for the monitor + $170 for a 4 year warrantee from my local Best Buy. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever decisions you and your brother make! :slight_smile:

So I’m down to 2 choices !

Samsung Odyssey G9 (97T model)
Samsung Crg9

The monitors are almost the same !
-The odyssey has the 1000 curvature/1 ms response and 240hz refresh .
-the Crg9 has curvature but not that intense/4ms response time and 120hz refresh .

My only TWO question to people whose have these monitors using them for Msfs2020 and P3D…are the sims responding to the ms response/Hz refresh rate ? That’s the only question I got . Or is it mainly for first person shooter games ?

Last question is HEAT? Some reviews saying the Samsung ultra wides putting off lots of heat making cracking popping noises from plastic after long duration of being on ?

Anyone have input ?

Thank u

I went with the G9. Use also for FPS games so the refresh rate is not wasted. HDR is also better on the G9. Do get the “pop” sounds when warming up…goes away after all warmed up. I personally don’t regret the purchase

Thank u. Looks like I’ll be goin for G9. I was this close to buyin CRG9 yesterday. Glad I didn’t

RainbowYard349 - My G97T has the option for 120HZ (actually 119 Hz) on FSMS2020. I will have to look into why I don’t have the 240Hz option in the coming days. For reference, I’m jumping from 60Hz to 119, and this is amazing to me. If you’re used to 120HZ+ then you might be disappointed. I saw an immediate and distinct improvement in my landings with the extra smoothness of the graphics and the extra peripheral vision.

I read the same reports/reviews about heat issues also. My G97T is barely warm to the touch with absolutely NO noise or popping at all.

Hope this helps…

So you are saying that the odyssey u have is only running MSFS @ 119Hz even though the odyssey is rated at 240hz? My monitor now is LG 34” from 2013 it’s only 60hz 5ms . I’ve never owned a +60hz monitor yet alone a less than 5ms response monitor

Update the driver and firmware for the G9 from samsung website to run at 240hrz. Firmware is updated via a usb thumb drive. Very picky on the thumb drive used so I found an older 2.0 usb drive worked best. Running my G9 at 240hrz after updating