New MSFS 2020 - Cessna L-19 Bird Dog to be released today

Definitely something weird going on at ms/asobo. Apple can “review” probably thousands of app updates a week and this product can’t do the dozen or so developers that have actual products?

Quick note. The developer (like myself) is one of the pioneers of the third party industry for the Microsoft Flight sim franchise. He practically invented moving parts when there were none. He has had several companies in the industry, going back to FS5. He is vastly experienced, but now in his 60’s does not have a big team behind him. I have known of him for nearly three decades. He reminded us today that the SDK still has limits. I think we need to allow his products (like the sim itself) to grow. This industry is not an easy one to work in, I know that the hard way. I closed my company 20 years ago. He has kept going. I wish him the very best to make improvements, but I also know the sim itself is a moving target right now. It may take time to stabilize, that is why the people making complex addons are holding back a bit. Anyway, just wanted to add context to a man who has been a part of the industry for longer than some of his customers have been alive.

9 Likes

You signed up to the forum just to write that?

Yep. Also just got flight Sim and came here for the bird dog. But yes, mostly to reply to you.

2 Likes

Personally, when I’ve just bought new stuff, I’m more interested in trying it out than in signing up to forums just to make a post about some random guy at an imaginary pub. It takes all sorts though, whatever rocks your boat…

1 Like

Thanks for the background knowledge. It makes more sense then indeed. Still I don‘t see any reason with regard to the SDK why switches simply don‘t work, a short test flight with the release build would have revealed that, and why the sound is so badly mixed. I appreciate the start into a new sim and I think he will fix these obvious issues. Regarding the textures it‘s my wish for them to be improved but it will remain up to him. The plane has been done okay, it‘s not top quality but what I can say from my short test flight the flight model is solid and the outside textures look sweet. I forget to mention that there are a lot of liveries available which took some time to create and also raise the prize so the 25€ are absolutely reasonable. The plane is absolutely not overprized.

3 Likes

“but it seems they are hardly motivated, lacking passion”

is it any surprise when weeks of HARD development with no helpful SDK is slated publicly mainly due to underlying Bias and the fact that a few switches don’t work ?

1 Like

It’s good to have the context. But it should not have been released in the condition given. Payware has to meet standards of fair practice and these are not present in the current version. Also, though I understand the limitations of the current SDK, it’s not acceptable as an excuse. If the product is not ready, it shouldn’t be on the market.

3 Likes

By that logic you’d sell pizza sans the bread, cheese, and passata.

1 Like

I also found a couple of switches not working, looked like something so do with the install but he said to me they would be fixed.

ASOBOLuteley - hope you told them and M$ that :slight_smile:

Actually I reported them not working as soon as I noticed and I understand they will be fixed. Hasn’t affected my enjoyment of the aircraft at all.

Well then we all have issues :slight_smile: I don’t think you can’t market a product that way. You should have had a bit more trust in the community as the plane looks very nice!

No. And I think I understand you better now after what @KJKerr told us. I‘ve tried the Cessna and you see above what my reaction is. I appreciate the work and I mentioned the good things as well as the not so good things. The Airbus-story in fact causes bias but the Cessna is something different and as such I handle it.

When I wrote this „reaction text“ above I hadn‘t noticed all these repaints so the 25€ seemed steep, but they are reasonable. It‘s a good addon with some issues and some room for improvement. But overall it‘s fun to fly and it‘s obvious that you know what you do.

2 Likes

Appreciated … and I think when TODAYS V1.1.0 PATCH Is available some of the bias should be able to stop … I mean, To say that BBS Never listen to customers or actually finish anything is a ridiculous and unfair statement when we DO listen and release a Patch for most of the issues mentioned within 24 Hours of the initial release… How many other Devs can say this ???

5 Likes

It’s not been my experience that BBS don’t listen or finish anything. I reported the broken switches and got an immediate response.

Their presence here since release has been great and I’m looking forward to the patch but none of the things mentioned here affected my enjoyment of a great add on. Three variants, load of liveries and fantastic STOL performance in an aircraft that feels like it should for 25 Euro’s. I haven’t stopped flying it since yesterday!

Time will tell, but if they continue to fix and respond to the community like this I think we can also look forward to more GA offerings form them.

3 Likes

Agreed. Three hours flying it yesterday. I started with the metal-finish Canadian one over the prairies in snow. Later, I found pictures that very closely represented my simulated flight. For me, it is a 10/10 for the fun factor. And you know what? I think this may be the first time in this Sim where we can look back in the vc and see the passenger. Yes her feet were massaging my backside, but she was cute. LOL. I will fly more today, and writing a review for Flightsim.com this week.

Ps… you mention his other upcoming GA aircraft. His Bulldog trainer in RAF colours was a thing of beauty in earlier sims. Always a favourite aircraft in real life for me, he was the only designer to do it justice. Looking forward to when he releases that one. Now just to convince Aeroplane Heaven to do their Chipmunk…

1 Like

SDK, SDK, SDK…ugh. This is what also is holding up further development of the CRJ according to the Areosoft interview.

Going to give this one a hard pass until the issues are fixed, or someone who isn’t just one of the developers friends writes a proper review. The poor VC and sounds are a deal breaker considering it’s price tag (CAD$39.00). The overwhelming amount of comments on the developers Facebook page and other flight sim communities in regards to long development times and poor workmanship does not fill me with any confidence in the developer either.

2 Likes

When the patch is available where will it be found?