New Nvidia drivers and DX12 in VR

I was part of the beta and firstly must thank Asobo for adding 10 to 15fps to my VR experience with DLSS. Also much reduced CTDs makes flying a joy rather than filled with trepidation.

i7 12700K, RTX3080, 32Gb RAM, HP Reverb G2

Feedback on these settings- all with DLSS on, most sliders very high and the new Nvidia Game Driver

DX11 - 40 to 48 fps. This is how I flew most of the beta.
DX12 - similar fps, noticeably better visual clarity (esp buildings), some micro stuttering

Then with Motion Reprojection in MSFS set to Depth and frame rate limited in NVIDIA control panel to 30fps

DX11 - similar experience as before
DX12 - better clarity as before but stuttering is gone

3 Likes

Thanks my mrp is always on from start

Tried a lot of configurations (also with the Toolkit on/off), at the end on my system the winner is the Studio Driver, with DX12. If I use the Game Ready one, performance is the same, but I get micro stuttering.

1 Like

I would like to know too, because I have 3090 and Iā€™m always under 10Gb of vramā€¦

2 Likes

In theory, if coded well, it is perfect for simulators because of better multithreading and less overhead. It can draw many many more objects without annoying the cpu.
It is embarrasing than Asobo and Microsoft canā€™t do it right. I hope they will make it soon.

If I start the game in DX12 mode then enable VR it just crashes to desktop on my 3080Ti.

For me DX12 is now a smooth experience for the first time ever. Normally it was a stutter fest so I
stayed on DX11. The driver seems to have made the clarity significantly better from the previous one, and now beats out TAA. There is some slight ā€œghostingā€ effects when digits change or when panning but Ive always had that. I dont find it to be an issue since its smooth movement.

Ive also changed the ā€œPCā€ graphics tab in MSFS. I set everything to the lowest value with the exception of resolution. I donā€™t know if this made a difference or not.

FWIW Heres my specs and settings. (Ive used FOV 0.8;0.8 since the release of MSFS VR)

Quest 2
Oculus Linked cable
I9-9900K OC to 5.0ghz
32GB Ram @4600
EVGA 2080ti (no overclock)
Win 10 ver. 21H2

I finally bit the bullet and installed the new driver (I had been clinging to an old 516 version that just worked). I have a standard test that I run with the Baron flying from La Guardia out of NYC using the scattered clouds preset and have been using this through various CPU/GPU/headset/driver upgrades to track changing performance.

For me the FPS results were a bit underwhelming. Any FPS improvements with the new driver in VR were within margin of error and likewise the difference when changing from DX11 and DX12.

What is different for me is that DX12 is now no worse than DX11 (before it was unusable for me) and there appears to be a reduction in stutters when panning/looking around compared to DX11. I am now getting a totally smooth experience and, the biggest improvement by far, I am getting minimal reduction in performance when flying over cities with photogrammetry. I can now fly between the buildings in NYC using a Varjo Aero with 100% render scale and most settings on high or ultra and get a steady 40fps+ with no stuttering.

For reference this is with the following setup: 5800X3D, 3090Ti, 64GB 3600MT/s RAM.

I am using OpenXR toolkit with dynamic foveated rendering enabled and the Aero set to 35PPD.

Iā€™m not using motion reprojection (donā€™t like the downgraded visuals or shimmering) or DLSS (performance was actually worse for me in VR and the blurry glass cockpit was a deal breaker).

2 Likes

Agreed we absolutely need a good benchmarking tool. Something that loads consistent aircraft/scenery/weather combos and that you can quickly run without having to start and exit so much ā– ā– ā– ā– .

1 Like

G2, 3080ti, 12700K
DX12 with TAA for the first time usable, so that is great progress. On the fence whether DX12 is superior to 11 but it definitely is coming closer and closer. MR on, butter smooth, new GRD

For the first time i had a long flight using DX12 VR yesterday with lots of addons and almost everything at ultra with max lods, it was smoother than DX11. I think drivers do really work but i assume itā€™s for high end cards. I have an 3090ti and VR was never this smooth.

When MSFS first came out he gave some very good information and I really enjoyed his channel but now he is more of a fanboy for whatever they send him to put on his channel.

My current strategy is switching TAA when flying glass cockpit / IFR and get 25-30fps, but DLSS quality if flying visually/steam gauge to get 30-40fps - DX12 in both cases. Fingers crossed they can fix the glass cockpits in DLSS and get the best of both worlds!

1 Like

I wont say itā€™s for the high end cards. Any card that has plenty of VRAM will benefit. The 3080s are getting capped.

On my 10G 3080 I saved over 0.6gb ram just by running steam in mini mode. Pity we also canā€™t reduce memory usage of WMR home.

Anyone care to try it, here are the steps for steam that I followed.

In my case DX12 is a big mess no matter what I try and I tested all the combinations that came to my mind.
Each time I switch back to DX11 I see a definitive improvement.
I donā€™t know why but in my opinion the main reason DX12 causes stutters is VRAM overloading (8GB, 3070, G2).
I am not surprised it is still a beta versionā€¦

So far Iā€™m happy with this:
DX11/OpenXR 150%/FSR70%/FVR inner ring 85/DLSS on Quality/ mostly high settings
2700x2700px/ Motion Reprojection stable at 30fps with GA in the majority of situations excluding dense photogrametric areas.

Go to C:\Windows\SystemApps\EnvironmentsApp_bunchofletters\ and delete or rename EnvironmentsApp.exe

Youā€™ll have to take control of the app first since admins donā€™t have it by default.

No more cliffhouse and about 1 gb vram freed up.

2 Likes

Oh nice, have you found a way to reduce its gpu usage. Even with this trick, just with WMR open, paused, with nothing happening, its using 30% of the gpu load according to gpu-z and lol Crazy isnā€™t it.

Getting rid of the always-running cliffhouse is all Iā€™ve found

How to take control?