New Release: Carenado Cessna C170B

and I have heard that DX12 implementation has also improved in SU8 (beta) and brings a significant FPS boost across the board in MSFS - is that true?

No noticeable improvement for me really, I still get better performance on DX11 but DX12 performance seems to vary greatly depending on hardware, so others may have more luck. The biggest improvement for me is stability, was starting to have frequent CTDs on SU7 and donā€™t think Iā€™ve had any on SU8.

1 Like

well that has to be encouraging for many wrt CTD - as to the FPS issue, weā€™ll have to be hopeful as development of the sim program continues.
I have to remind myself constantly that that is the main difference between FSX and MSFS. One was dumped into the world and quickly abandoned - left to 3rd party and open development (not bad but not ideal) while the other is firmly supported with robust updates (say what you like about their efficacy) and additional content from the original creators, along with exceedingly strong 3rd party additions and enhancements along the way. Night and Day

2 Likes

Can the autopilot features be activated? Couldnā€™t find an accessible systems.cfg file to activate the autopilot. Help!

Cfg files on marketplace add-ons are generally inaccessible.

It is my understanding that Carenado is all under DRM protection and you wonā€™t have access to their files to make any sort of changes.

Youā€™re just going to have to hand fly it.

Not just Carenado. This is the case with anything purchased from the in-sim marketplace. There have been requests for the policy to be changed so that customers can make personal tweaks since the sim launched.

1 Like

I use a Stream Deck with AP buttons. For many planes that donā€™t have AP avionics, I can still get AP functions to work. I am afk right now and canā€™t remember if I use AP with the C170, but I will check later.

I know there is considerable ā€œheartburnā€ related to this aircraft voiced in this forum.
I just thought I would provide a little positive feedback.

Has anyone else noticed the exterior details with the start-up smoke and shut-down shake?

For me, at least, these little things are kind of what set the standard that all the aircraft developers should be seeking. Dirt and grime, loud engines, smoke and vibration - it doesnā€™t get any better than this! :joy:

2 Likes

The simmers who like Carenado do so because of fine visual and similar details. The simmers who prefer more systems depth and fidelity like them for the visual aspects too but would generally rather buy a product that has both or all of the bases covered.
Others who just like to hear themselves groan should be greatly ignored

1 Like

Just bought it, I like it, no VR zoom.

As a simmer who likes Carenado, I like them because they are consistently good addons in terms of not just visuals but sound and flight modeling. Their systems are no less in depth than any payware Iā€™ve bought to date, especially given that they support the 750 mod. Once more advanced addons start rolling out that will change, but at the moment Carenado in my view has all of the bases covered for MSFS. For now though, all payware for MSFS have shallow systems modeling sadly. It appears that might be a thing of the past this year though.

2 Likes

agree 100% - Carenado makes a good product for MSFS at a fair price

3 Likes

I know there is considerable ā€œheartburnā€ related to this aircraft voiced in this forum.

On the whole the reception to this aircraft in the almost-a-year since it released has been quite favorable.

Iā€™m guessing you donā€™t own the Just Flight Arrows or Warrior? I have almost all of Carenadoā€™s products, but theyā€™re definitely not as in-depth as those. There will be a further gap once Milviz releases the 310. Again, I enjoy the Carenado products, and will continue to support them. The Seneca is in the top 10 most-flown planes in my hangar. The 170 is fun to fly as well, and I jump in it often when I want to just jump right in without a checklist and go flying.

1 Like

I do own them. I donā€™t know what about this is more in-depth honestly, though their flight modelling is definitely better.

Wellā€¦ flight models and performance is oneā€¦ Damage and failures is another. State saving and persistence and maintenance is another. They are just a little short of A2A standard, butā€¦ itā€™s closer. Flying Iron and MilViz are a couple of more developers who have the fidelity that greatly surpasses Carenado. But I do enjoy all of my Carenado birds as well.

3 Likes

Ah yeah I forgot about the state saving. I had an issue with it and had to disable it for a while, but after a fresh install I got it working again.

You beat me to it. I didnā€™t include FlyingIron because I was comparing developers who create GA planes that are more comparable to Carenadoā€™s offerings. The FlyingIron Spitfire remains my most flown aircraft aside from the FBW Airbus.

1 Like

The Just Flight Pipers are 3x the price of the C170B.