New Release: Carenado Cessna C170B

You mean Carenado’s trademark Mr. Grumpy is finally gone?

2 Likes

Indeed!

10 characters.

1 Like

Yep, Mr. Grumpy and his grumpy son are finally gone…

I’m sooo happy!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I think I have taken his place.
The engine sound issue is intermittently back again. I never know whether it’ll be the C170B or the YMF5 when I am flying the Cessna. It starts out well sometimes but then switches back to the YMF5. Pretty frustrating. My only solution is to uninstall the YMF5.
Makes me quite grumpy!
:angry:

1 Like

Do you use the standard traffic? Switch it off and use FSLTL! Since I started using FSLTL, there has never been a problem with other sounds in various aircraft…

1 Like

@MeixnerHannes thank you for the suggestion, but, I can’t say I’m up for figuring out how to use that product, and integrate it with all the other addons I have.

@TallestParsley2 Regarding the sound, are you using a livery? If you are, try adding a soundai=“” line below the sound line in the aircraft.cfg of the livery. I just spent a couple of hours with the plane and didn’t notice any issues with the sound.

In the process of upgrading my livery for the C170, I found something interesting.

Back when I created it, it was before the override_base_container way of allowing us to use a portion of the panel.cfg to turn off Registration (it’s a real world livery). So I wanted to upgrade it so I could get rid of the panel stuff in my panel.cfg file and my panel.xml “hack”. The plane still seems to work, but in the process of trying to “upgrade” it, so I don’t interfere with future changes, I found something strange.

There are four lines in my panel.cfg that point to gauges in the C170, all good. Problem is, in the latest C170, those gauges now point to PA44 gauges. ???

Rather than

texture				= $Panel_FS2_2

gauge00				= ../../Carenado_C170BT/panel/GAUGE_APC170B!Gauge_Anum,  		0  , 0  , 384, 177
gauge01				= ../../Carenado_C170BT/panel/GAUGE_APC170B!Gauge_Autopiloto,  0  , 392, 512, 119
gauge02				= ../../Carenado_C170BT/panel/GAUGE_C170B!Radio_KN62A_DME,    	0  , 188, 485, 100
gauge03				= ../../Carenado_C170BT/panel/DIGTTANC_C170B!Gauge_UPDATE_DIG,    0  , 0  , 1  , 1

The latest update has instead

texture				= $Panel_FS2_2

gauge00				= GAUGE_APPA44!Gauge_Anum,  		0  , 0  , 384, 177
gauge01				= GAUGE_APPA44!Gauge_Autopiloto,  0  , 392, 512, 119
gauge02				= GAUGE_PA44!Radio_KN62A_DME,    	0  , 188, 485, 100
gauge03				= GAUGE_PA44!Gauge_UPDATE_DIG,    0  , 0  , 1  , 1

The plane still seems to work so I’m going to leave it for now. I can’t figure out what the gauges go to. When I try to delete all the lines and use the “override_base_container”, MSFS just crashes.

Anyone who doesn’t own the Carenado PA44 Seminole notice any issues with the gauges?
Anyone know why they’re referencing a DME gauge? I don’t see one in any pictures (or my plane).
I don’t know how to access any hidden panels. Interestingly, it references an ADF, too, but I don’t see an ADF on the panel either? Also interestingly, they link to the old AS530, too, probably for the aera.

This seems to be a repeat of some problems Carenado introduced back with their release of the YMF5, Carenado released a bunch of products with gauges that wouldn’t work because they pointed to gauges from other of the products they own, and then must have forgotten to update the package upon release so the gauges were included. It worked in their test environment because they have all their planes. So, those people who didn’t have the product the gauge came from, the gauges didn’t work. But, because of the VFS, those customers who had the other planes the gauges worked fine.

Anyway, I’m not sure what to do here. Plane flies fine, all the gauges work. I just made a perfect 3-point no bounce landing at my 2B2 on 28 :slight_smile: Are people still having issues landing the plane? My first landing at KLWM was pretty bad, but I came in wicked high and fast. I learned, lol. I agree the brakes are pretty strong… too bad we don’t have access to the cfg files.

I dunno, maybe they were going to add these other gauges in the panel at one point, and then decided against it, but left the code in the panel.cfg? Weird. I’m puzzled.

1 Like

No. I am not using any add-ons of any kind.

I’ll try switching off traffic, but I am not keen on installing another add-on. From past experience I generally avoid all of them except for aircraft like this one.

1 Like

Only with this add-on the live traffic is 100 times better and more real :wink: . But I just wanted to pass on my experience regarding the sound problems anyway :wink:

1 Like

I don’t own the PA44 Seminole and I haven’t noticed any problem with the gauges.

Yes, quite often when using realistic turbulence and live weather under certain wind conditions, even when I come in slow riding the stall horn at less than 100FPM descent rate, it’ll bounce like it’s landing on the moon with springs. I know that this aircraft will bounce easily IRL, there are Youtube videos showing this, but it still feels overdone to me.

1 Like

The 170B bounces on landing more than any plane I own (and I own more small GA’s, LSA’s and ultralights than I probably should.)

2 Likes

Well, I just tested with all live traffic turned off and so far, so good. Both the C170B and the YMF5 are behaving themselves - sound wise.
Thanks!

Yep. The 170B is still very “bouncy-bouncy” like in the song - from 1960:
Bobby Vee ~ Rubber Ball (1960) - Bing video
:laughing:
I think the landing gear struts might have been installed by these guys!
The Spinners - Rubberband Man, on Midnight Special in 1976 - Bing video

1 Like

I was thinking more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6CfAciVEsg&pp=ygUfbm90IHRoZSBuaW5lIG9jbG9jayBuZXdzIGJvdW5jZQ%3D%3D

It’s a shame these cannot be altered, as they are locked up in the flight model file:

• Static compression - This sets the landing gear compression when the airplane is on the ground with all the weight compressing the gears.
  • Max to static compression - This sets the maximum to static compression ratio. The higher this ratio is, the “stiffer” the suspension will be, but the higher the loads it can absorb before hitting maximum travel.
  • Damping ratio - This represents a ratio of how much energy is lost upon impact.

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Content_Configuration/SimObjects/Aircraft_SimO/flight_model/contact_points.htm

So values 8, 9, and 10.

3 Likes

Hilarious!

1 Like

I have a feeling if you’re bouncing, that your approach may be just a bit too steep.

RWY28 at 2B2 is a very short, and there’s a fence across the runway where the runway was damaged by the sea at one point a few years ago. So I shot it so I came in right over the fence at about 60-63 knots in a relatively flat approach at that point staying above the fence, and it just plopped right down for me in a three pointer right on the numbers.

When I get back home I’ll make sure I can repeat it, but, it wasn’t all that hard and I didn’t get a single bounce out of it.

When I had the awful landing, I knew I was too steep and too fast, by the time I was ready to land I’d slowed it to about 65, but way too steep still and running out of runway, and I didn’t feel like going around, lol… Imagine saying that in real life :rofl:

But that landing gave me a feeling for the plane and I figured it out by the second landing.

Here’s a window into how much of a dork I am.

I love this detail of the C170B. The analog pitot tube has a little flap that closes to protect it from insects, etc. when the aircraft is parked. Carenado animated the flap! When you get moving through the air, it hits the deflector at the top and pivots open the flap to allow air to flow into it.

Such awesome detail!

(Oh, how I love this little plane!)

13 Likes

A breath of fresh air - someone who can still find something to get excited about within this wonderful sim - BRAVO!

4 Likes

Have taken this one up for a few local circuits today to take a look at the smoke drifting in from Canada.
Gasp-gasp. That’s both for the air quality and my once again quite bouncy landing! (Wish there were a way to fix that trampoline action.)

Also, I noticed something else that Carenado might want to fix in a future update:
There is a typo on the word “immediately” on the fuel tank switch on the floor between the 2 front seats.

No offense intended, but, there is. A proper approach and it lands just fine. It did take me a couple tries to get it right, but I land it without issue. Oh, and maybe the elevator trim is improperly set?

Then again, I forget, what do you use for a controller(s)? I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, I have a CH Products dual throttle quandrant, so I use the throttle axis on the joystick for adjusting trim (I couldn’t fly without that), and CH Products rudder pedals. A good controller setup is a must, especially with tail draggers.

1 Like