New Release: Carenado Cessna C170B

I think by the time we “get it”, we’ll also have developed that tell-tale furrow between our eyebrows, like the instructor’s in the video!
:wink:

I recorded some of my landings on different surfaces:

10 Likes

Well done! You obviously have earned your furrows!
:laughing:

2 Likes

Nice! But as mentioned by the instructor in the video posted by QBziZ above, you probably should go for 3 point landings on soft/short fields like that, instead of landing on the main gear. :wink:

Absolutely fabulous! Proof it can be done and is not poorly simulated.

I’m off to practice now after studying your technique.

Bravo!!

I have been doing a bit more practicing, myself.

I have found that trimming the bird for some slight back pressure on the yoke, in the final 500 ft of descent is quite helpful. Maintaining that back pressure, I then smoothly reduce power and ease it down gently much like squeezing the trigger on a rifle, so that I don’t really know precisely when the wheels will touch down. As soon as they do, though, I simultaneously release the back pressure on the yoke and voila, no bounce!

This technique might not be anything even remotely similar to real life, but it seems to work well for me on the C170B - most of the time. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, it looks like not pulling the nose up on touchdown is the key. Watching the video, I noticed @kaha300d pushing the yoke forward on touchdown. I’ve found that if I do bounce, I can arrest the bouncing immediately by not pulling back (or if trimmed forward, releasing the back pressure).

This also works a treat in the Caranado YMF-5 - now I can land that without bouncing too. Incidentally, I found the lever for tail wheel lock and that makes take-off and landing heaps easier on the YMF-5.

Now I’ll go and try the Reno Mustang and see if this works on that.

Thanks!

1 Like

I wanted to test out the high-altitude performance of the 170b, what better way to see how it does than by flying over the continental divide from Boulder to Grandby. True VFR flying at its best!

4 Likes

Since SU10 and the reduction of the ground effect, I can land this plane without problems.
What I do, I can now relate to videos of this plane.
You still need to manage the energy, but it will not bounce unrealistically anymore.
It’s actually a very nice plane to fly now.

1 Like

It’s making me happy to see all these recent positive vibes for the C170B.

This was one of my first add-ons and when I fly it now, it’s as comfortable as an old pair of jeans.

2 Likes

I just took a short hop in mine for the first time since SU10 and everything else that’s happened, recently. Gotta agree with you 100%.

They’ve even improved the sound package, IMO. The GPS works great, the landings are no longer a seemingly impossible challenge and it’s really fun flying with the 2 side windows open! Can almost feel the breeze…

Unlike other purchases I have made, I definitely have no buyer’s remorse on this old bird. Great job, Carenado!

4 Likes

Today I lost my custom cameras in the C170. I always maintain a backup, so I was able to restore it. But I don’t know what caused this. My flight was at 15.20 Zulu.

Finally! After a year of waiting and multiple support emails to Carenado, the C170B’s taxi and landing lights project light in the environment on Xbox.

I can finally see in the dark.

I got an update to the C170B yesterday too and was wondering what changed but found this on the Carenado site:

———————————————————-
C170B MSFS version 1.4
———————————————————–
November 28th, 2022

-Textures improved.
-Corrected sounds.
-Horometer animation fix.
-Fixed pilot camera pan when rotating clockwise.
-Improved electrical system.
-Improved amperimeter.
-ATC call now refers to model “170”.
-Overall lightning fix.
-Flap disagreement with position in external HUD view now fixed.
-Implemented VR controls.

4 Likes

16 months after release, still getting improved.

Will I still hear people on this forum insist that Carenado doesn’t support their products? Probably.

4 Likes

Yes and not without reason. They really have worked up a sketchy record - again. Especially with the PC-12 they burned a lot of bridges.
Personally I used to be one of the people defending Carenado with MSFS. But currently I’m still a little angry with them for being incommunicado for such a long time about several issues. The Mooney has also been one of the planes suffering for almost a year now and there’s still no update.
They really should step up their game and hire someone for PR work. Their aircraft almost exclusively are masterpieces when it comes to visuals (the Bonanza is an absolute gem in that regard), and I really like flying most of them in the sim. But their approach to updates and communication has been lacking severely in 2022.

Nevertheless I appreciate the updates for the C170 and the Waco. Still waiting for the Mooney though …

5 Likes

Well I wouldn’t take that bleakly a view. Alhough I am far from a big optimist I still have a little more confidence. But I won’t spend any more money on Carenado for while and see how they shape up. It’s not as if they are the only ones with beautiful aircraft. The FSW C414 can compare with Carenado visually and is superior in every other way. More expensive, though.

1 Like

There’s an update in this week’s Marketplace changes. According to the manifest file it includes…
VERSION 2.0.0 RELEASED APRIL 11, 2023
-Switched to MS pilot avatars for broader selection.
-Improved engine startup and heat effects.
-Added new liveries.
-Fixed VR Cockpit Focus and VR handling grip.
-Other minor bug fixes.

4 Likes

The change I really appreciate is the pilots now being those used by the sim itself.

This aircraft is still a favorite of mine.

4 Likes

I was pretty excited, so I took a quick test flight.
Boo-hoo, my biggest complaint remains - the engine sound.
After take-off and approximately 3 minutes into the flight it sounded like my YMF5.
Then the internal sound quit entirely for awhile, and the external sound switched to the normal C170B sound.
Then the internal sound came back, this time with the normal C170B sound.

What the deuce???

Edit:
Well, I just restarted my sim and all works like it should now. Spoke too soon, I guess.

1 Like