New Release: Carenado Piper PA-34 Seneca V

Yellow is to set the CDI for the NAV. If you are using the GPS or a VOR (or ILS/LOC) in the NAV1 radio for navigation set the yellow arrow to the course you want to fly. The center part of the yellow needle shows your course deviation (if you are off course to the left or right). Look up VOR navigation for more info

1 Like

ah ok thanks. i know VOR NAvigation and thought i saw the CDI in a different Instrument.

BTW The Plane is very wrong when it comes to leaning. You Never lean this Plane IRL to get more ALT. In the SIm i have to Lean to get higher. See here:

Leaning and Performance Charts - Student Pilots / Basic Gameplay Help - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

Yeah Carenado add-ons aren’t modelled for realism, they are modelled to look nice. If you want to learn about aircraft systems and get a realistic experience stay clear of Carenado add-ons, but if you are interested in a basic add-on that looks nice they are OK.

I can basically guarantee this won’t be patched (I submitted many bug reports for issues more serious that this for their M20R - their first MSFS add-on) the week it was released and they are yet to be fixed.

Btw you said you never lean the plane IRL to get more ALT. I assume you just mean in the climb which is correct. When in the cruise you do indeed lean the mixture to peak TIT (keeping it and engine temps within limits of course)

1 Like

yea thats what i mean.

This is bad, cause they advertised the Plane as the turbo version, which is clearly not…

I think it is turbo but just not very accurate. It has been a long time since I’ve flown the Carenado Seneca (have preferred using Just Flight’s mods since they are more realistic) but from memory I am pretty sure it did get to pretty high altitudes.

According to the POH the ceiling is 25,000ft. Do you know if it gets up to around that altitude in the sim? If it was modelled as normally aspirated engines I’m sure it would get nowhere near that

Yea it goes to FL250 but i have to lean it. Otherwise the engines cuts off way before

This is a bug with the MSFS core logic for turbocharged engines. The same bug affects the Just Flight Turbo Arrow. I collected a bunch of data and put together a bug report on it. Here’s the thread I created, in case you want to learn more:

I also created a mod to correct this behavior. It requires editing the panel file for the Seneca, but it works well. The mixture lever in the virtual cockpit will move as you climb (it shouldn’t in real-life), but your hardware mixture lever will behave the way it should in real life – you can keep the mixture at full-rich during the climb and then lean once you reach cruising altitude. Here’s a github link for the mod:

5 Likes

I really love this Carenado bashing.
FYI, the wrong mixture simulation affects all aircraft (at least) since FSX.

4 Likes

For what they are aiming for Carenado does a good job. Their planes look great.

They are not realistic and the developers don’t seem to mind. I tried out the Seneca recently just for something different and as I was working through the checklist (the one that’s provided with the add-on) it said to check the vacuum gauge during run-up. The simulated plane doesn’t even have a vacuum system… They’ve just included a checklist from a completely different plane than the one they modelled. Last time I tried to use the Ovation I tried to set my cruise power from the POH but it has MP settings to one decimal place. The modelled MP gauge doesn’t show any decimal places (it’s digital) so you can’t accurately set the MP for cruise power. These are just 2 examples (there are many more) of issues that could be fixed in < 5 minutes (get the POH of the modelled Seneca or just write their own checklist, and changing the MP gauge to 1 d.p. is a 2 character code fix) but Carenado refuse to do anything about them.

Their planes are great if you want to jump in a plane that looks great and do some sightseeing and that is clearly the market they are targeting. If you want to learn real life aircraft systems and fly as realistically as possible their add-ons need some work.

I could just as easily “bash” Just Flight for only releasing 3 planes (and very similar ones at that), but they are trying to make their add-ons as accurate as possible which means they can’t release them as quickly as some would like.

I don’t think it’s “bashing” as much as acknowledging that different studios are trying to achieve different things which I think customers should be aware of so they know what they are buying

2 Likes

Very nice explanation and bug report, many thanks. I would love to fly turbos that actually are turbos…

Nice info, thanks, try to avoid carenado and buy just flight from now on.

The turbos are actually turbos in MSFS, it’s only the mixture simulation which is wrong.
(For that reason I’ve switched to auto-mixture).

1 Like

That’s exactly the reason why I called @NickD2576s post Carenado bashing.
You will be missing a lot of interesting aircraft if you avoid Carenado.

3 Likes

As a PC pilot, I cannot really judge who simulates the aircraft better. I like the aircraft from Carenado just as much as those from Just Flight. And while we are criticising, Just Flight has not managed to adapt the trim axis to MSFS2020 for months, and that would probably be the smallest detail. It’s just very annoying to have to change the trim axis every time you change the aircraft.

3 Likes

Regarding the trim axis, we’ll take a look if it’s a known problem. This is the first we’ve seen about an issue. Could you point to where it’s already being discussed or failing that put a post on the Just Forum or even open a support ticket with us. That will mean it’ll at least get investigated. Thanks.

1 Like

If you want to fly a Turbo aircraft that isn’t affected by this issue, MilViz PC-6 Porter is the way to go.

The Milviz PC-6 is not a turbo!

They are taking about turbocharged piston engines not turboprops (like the PC6).

2 Likes

How so? It’s a Turboprop.