New Release: dc-designs-pt17-stearman

Is there anywhere I can find liveries for the cowled, faster version?

All Stearmans are aerobatic. The cowled one in this package is just modeling a bigger engine (the real Cannibal Queen has a 300hp Lyc on it; this feels more like the 450hp.) It doesn’t have top ailerons or any of the other mods and thus should handle the same as the 220hp variants, just a little more nose heavy.

1 Like
1 Like

Yes, I know that all Stearmans are aerobatic. It’s just the way I describe the cowled version, and I know people will know what I’m talking about, just as you did. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s not that it looks like it, it’s that it has a R985 450hp engine. We put the same engine as the grumman goose.

1 Like

Then it should have a constant speed prop, most 450 stearmans have that, as well as the Canibal queenđŸ€“. I still love the stearmanđŸ„°.

1 Like

So in theory these twin planes could be changed so that the airshow Stearman gets animated double ailerons, a new fancy blue lever and retains the current roll rate, while the original Stearman gets roll rate nerf and everybody magically gets what they wanted (except DC Design’s 3D artists, who wanted to be left in peace)?

2 Likes

Well that’s where I had doubts! I didn’t know whether to leave it in fixed pitch or transition it to constant propeller because I didn’t find much documentation about it on the Super Stearman. no problem for me if we add it. But we would need to know where to place the propeller governor and its specifications.

Let’s see the problem that I see here is not to nerf the Max roll rate, in fact @FusionHorse151 and @OddElviz will agree with me that the first versions of the product had more roll rate than now, I remember that it was at a maximum of 125 degrees per second above 120 knots and this value was reduced in a subsequent update by 15-20% but was maintained in the faired version. In other words, I don’t know where you got the idea that I increased the roll rate of the plane to satisfy an audience (I don’t mean you @PANTSZER), when in fact I reduced it, but taking care about the plane not losing the aerobatic capability. On the other hand, I don’t think it has ever come close to the aerobatics capability of the Pitts.

I think the problem is not in the Max roll rate that can be reached since we have even compared it to videos
 but in the rotational acceleration, that is, the maximum time to reach the roll rate according to the aileron deflection. I have not found those charts on internet as I have them from fighters aircraft for example. What was increased was the rudder authority, so that the plane could execute snaprolls but with difficulty and losing altitude, something that was not possible in the first version.

3 Likes

Mostly I got the idea from there:

ok, there Dean could have been wrong, it was the authority of the rudder that I touched.

after that we introduced non native propeller drag which was the second problem that was detected.

Im quite looking forward to giving this a spin, I’ve been following this thread and seeing the love for this aircraft.

I realised I had some loyalty points gathering dust on JustFlight, so I redeemed them so the Stearman cost me the grand total of ÂŁ4.

Now I just seem to find a slot between work and family to take it for a spin!

2 Likes

As I wrote a few weeks ago (almost a month actually) in my Top 5 thread, noticed that the Stearman suddenly started getting a fair few mentions. I said it could be a “creeper hit” and it’s interesting that the plane has been out a long time but seems to be growing in popularity (and I hope sales). The strength of having a very well made, elegant and unique aircraft without many other similar (and good) options out there.

Enjoy the plane! Best £4 you will have ever spent. It’s one I just always go back to. Very relaxing and brings a smile to ya face whilst flying her.

I tried the Grumman F3F-2 today out of interest and it’s just not as fun. Visibility is pretty bad and overall it just doesn’t “feel” as real. I’m a big fan of the Stearman!

4 Likes

In terms of just low-level stick and rudder flying
 its awesome. It feels right, can get into small strips
 cruise along following roads
 I really like it. And I am very very picky lol. Also, it doesn’t suffer from the ridiculous tailwheel dynamics that most airplanes have in the sim.

2 Likes

I do agree with your remarks referencing me - if I recall correctly I thought the roll rate was still a bit too hot after the corrections but deferred to the stated marketing stance at DCD that this particular project (Stearman) was about inexpensive entertainment more so than iron clad fidelity.
I said at the time that the roll rate was still closer to what you would see in a 4 aileron Stearman with higher horsepower.
Again - that testing was before DC added the ‘Airshow’ .cfg variant.
I remain hopeful that the entire DCD Stearman package can be reviewed ( seems Dean has already said it would be in this very thread) and the performance or .cfg’s be differentiated a bit, with the Trainer or 220hp version with fixed pitch and 2 ailerons given performance that matches those specs.
And the Airshow, or 450hp version with 4 ailerons left with the higher roll rate and energy to manage aerobatics properly - without ‘falling out’ of them
not ‘snappy’ like a Pitts, or Christen Eagle - but more than enough power to pull the big Stearman through every maneuver as it should have.
Whether DCD decides to actually adjust the 3D models, adding prop adjustment lever, 4 ailerons, proper headrest/turtledeck etc to the Super Stearman or Airshow variant
 is up to them.
They wouldn’t have to do anything with the Trainer - aside from the .cfg adjustment for roll. (reduce another 15-20% whether that be an aileron or rudder adjustment.)
I do like and fly the DCD Stearman(s) regularly and think an excellent job was done to make them enjoyable
I also think a bit of room was left for improvement or competition. Both things can be true.

1 Like

I finally took it up for a spin, it was fantastic! Departed Rochester EGTO, flew up the Thames Estuary towards an early sunset, looped back around Canary Wharf and back to Rochester.

Such a stable plane to fly! I had it trimmed so well it held precisely at 1500ft with hands off. I was using an xbox controller so I wasnt expecting great control. I’ll try again later with the hotas, but I already love it.

5 Likes

To the Dev, is there any way you can fix the cockpit textures in the airplanes other than Cannibal Queen? I can post screenshots, but only Cannibal Queen looks the best for me. The rest have issues such as goofy font labeling the controls, Starter mis spelled “Starte” etc. It would be nice if they could all be to the Cannibal Queen standard.

Hi, the cockpit is identical for all variants so it should be the same for all airplanes?

Do you have an old un-updated version installed, maybe? I remember seeing YouTube videos with that comic sans type of font, but I don’t have that on mine.